• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingedominance13

Cleary re-signs with Detroit, 1 year, $1.75m deal

Rate this topic

this is good, LGW seemed overdue for an implosion :P

really though, i'm not surprised at all. and will wait to be upset or not until we figure out how this roster is getting slimmed down.

I think this is the best way to go about it as a fan. The season hasn't started yet. No one knows what will happen throughout training camp and up to opening day, but as long as the best players are on the ice in October, and the worst/least effective three players are the ones traded/waived/whatever, then I'll be okay. I trust that Babcock and Holland are a good judge for what will make this team the most competitive, and cuts will be made accordingly. For what its worth, I happen to think Cleary can bring more to the Wings than a guy like Emmerton, but we will see how the cards play out.

I have a ton of respect for any player who takes that big of pay cut (and on a short deal) to stay in Detroit.

Say what you will about the roster and cap situation, but Cleary is a one loyal Wing.

agreed. cleary's heart is the size of the grinches.. but like, at the end of the movie

One more point, if anyone is angry maybe direct your anger at Babcock. I seriously doubt if he didn't want Cleary they would have put any resources into him. I have no insider info, my brother doesn't know a guy who knows a guy who works at the NSA and listens to Ken Holland's phone calls (and if I was in the NSA that's what I'd spy on, NHL GM trade discussions lol) but if Babcock didn't see value in Cleary vs. whomever else on the Wings roster he'd have said so.

Is there any chance even if Cleary is the worst player on the ice at camp, he ends up being cut? or does this give him immunity?

Samuelsson is around, so I doubt Cleary will be the worst player at camp.

The money and term aren't bad for Cleary, but I just can't get around how completely unnecessary this move is. He's a better player than Sammy or Bert, though having all three around is ridiculous. Nyquist is somehow going to start in Grand Rapids, which is an insult to him because he deserves to be in the NHL.

Real puzzling decision by Holland after a strong summer otherwise. His obsession with veterans and loyalty to certain players goes overboard too often.

Some choice quotes from Kenny Holland via Ansar KHAAAAAAN!!!...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/09/red_wings_sign_daniel_cleary_t.html

“He hopes to play until he's 38, 39 years of age. He’s 34, let’s take a one-year deal and trust that things will work out based on the coach knowing him, based upon the people that he knows in the locker room and the history of the ownership in Detroit.''

Holland said the club's loyalty to veterans worked in Cleary's favor.

“We talked about my managing style and the way our ownership runs our team with loyalty,'' Holland said. “You look at some of the guys here in the organization, like (Chris) Chelios, (Kirk) Maltby, (Kris) Draper and (Chris) Osgood.

Long story short, Cleary will be a Red Wing for years to come...

He'd just fall down and the octopus would slither away with the puck.

Well... maybe throw him at the octopus?

Seriously- if we were sitting here with only 12 forwards signed, nothing coming up yet, and Cleary was still available, I'd be pleased as punch. There's no doubt that he has the mental fortitude that gives a boost to his teammates.

Unfortunately, someone is going to get moved, and aside from Emmerton, I can't think of anyone who I'd want to give up (based on actual performance or potential) that doesn't have an NTC.

Guest Crymson
Long story short, Cleary will be a Red Wing for years to come...

I think that's premature. None of Chelios, Maltby, and Osgood were walking injuries at any stage.

GURANTEED that Tatar gets traded for picks now. And most likely Tootoo is dropped/demoted (WTF!!!). Only option for a GM who wants to keep everyone he can from last year and still have all the youngsters play in addition to signing two wingers.

So...

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

Franzen-Weiss-Alfie

I can go with that. That looks promising even though the 1st line is missing a real sniper (Hull, Hossa, etc).

Then this clusterflop.

Sammy-Helm(maybe)-Nyquist/Cleary/Bert

Tootoo/Miller-Andersson-Tatar/Eaves/someone I'm forgetting

Guest Crymson

From Pierre LeBrun...

And perhaps the most concerning tweet of all...

Again, speculative. LeBrun is stating that Cleary took a one-year deal (over the three years he allegedly could have gotten from the Flyers) on the faith that he'll get a better one next season.

GURANTEED that Tatar gets traded for picks now.

Would you like to put some money on that? Because I'll take that bet.