• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#41 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

Some choice quotes from Kenny Holland via Ansar KHAAAAAAN!!!...

http://www.mlive.com...l_cleary_t.html

“He hopes to play until he's 38, 39 years of age. He’s 34, let’s take a one-year deal and trust that things will work out based on the coach knowing him, based upon the people that he knows in the locker room and the history of the ownership in Detroit.''

Holland said the club's loyalty to veterans worked in Cleary's favor.

“We talked about my managing style and the way our ownership runs our team with loyalty,'' Holland said. “You look at some of the guys here in the organization, like (Chris) Chelios, (Kirk) Maltby, (Kris) Draper and (Chris) Osgood.

Long story short, Cleary will be a Red Wing for years to come...

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#42 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Some choice quotes from Kenny Holland via Ansar KHAAAAAAN!!!...

well.. luckily the cap is going up..?

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#43 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Press it until you feel a little better.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#44 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,897 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

He'd just fall down and the octopus would slither away with the puck.

Well... maybe throw him at the octopus?

Seriously- if we were sitting here with only 12 forwards signed, nothing coming up yet, and Cleary was still available, I'd be pleased as punch.  There's no doubt that he has the mental fortitude that gives a boost to his teammates.

Unfortunately, someone is going to get moved, and aside from Emmerton, I can't think of anyone who I'd want to give up (based on actual performance or potential) that doesn't have an NTC.

#45 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

Is the roster limit too?

Holland said he would like to trade a player before the season opener Oct. 2 vs. Buffalo, but has other options.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#46 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

Good price, I'm fine with that. But whether this is a good deal or not boils down to who else it affects.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#47 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

I'm not so concerned about the cap situation (although, it is a concern) as I am the roster spot that Cleary is taking.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#48 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

I think that's premature. None of Chelios, Maltby, and Osgood were walking injuries at any stage.

#49 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

GURANTEED that Tatar gets traded for picks now. And most likely Tootoo is dropped/demoted (WTF!!!). Only option for a GM who wants to keep everyone he can from last year and still have all the youngsters play in addition to signing two wingers.

So...

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

Franzen-Weiss-Alfie

I can go with that. That looks promising even though the 1st line is missing a real sniper (Hull, Hossa, etc).

Then this clusterflop.

Sammy-Helm(maybe)-Nyquist/Cleary/Bert

Tootoo/Miller-Andersson-Tatar/Eaves/someone I'm forgetting

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#50 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

From Pierre LeBrun...

And perhaps the most concerning tweet of all...

Again, speculative. LeBrun is stating that Cleary took a one-year deal (over the three years he allegedly could have gotten from the Flyers) on the faith that he'll get a better one next season.

GURANTEED that Tatar gets traded for picks now.

Would you like to put some money on that? Because I'll take that bet.

#51 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

I'm sorry, I guess I don't get the anger.  We got a player of Cleary's caliber for less than we're paying Tootoo?  Even if he plays all season on the fourth line we're better off with this happening.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd MUCH rather have Cleary in the lineup than Tootoo or Eaves...and now he's the same price.

Good signing. 

Ideally, here's my lines.

Z-Dats-Abby

Alfie-Weiss-Franzen

Tatar-Andersson-Nyquist

Cleary-Helm-Miller

Sammy/Bert

Sadly, goodbye Eaves, Tootoo, and Emmerton (unless Helm is still hurt). 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#52 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

I'm sorry, I guess I don't get the anger.  We got a player of Cleary's caliber for less than we're paying Tootoo?  Even if he plays all season on the fourth line we're better off with this happening.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd MUCH rather have Cleary in the lineup than Tootoo or Eaves...and now he's the same price.

Good signing. 

Ideally, here's my lines.

Z-Dats-Abby

Alfie-Weiss-Franzen

Tatar-Andersson-Nyquist

Cleary-Helm-Miller

Sammy/Bert

Sadly, goodbye Eaves, Tootoo, and Emmerton (unless Helm is still hurt). 

Is there some way we can arrange an dog sledding accident for Sammy & keep either Eaves or Tootoo around instead?

#53 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

Is there some way we can arrange an dog sledding accident for Sammy & keep either Eaves or Tootoo around instead?

I wish Sammy was gone as much as the next guy, but at this point I don't see it...sadly.  I really like Eaves and Tootoo, but of the two I'd prefer to keep Eaves.  Having said all that, I'm still VERY excited about that lineup.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#54 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

Let's not forget the playoffs:

# POS PLAYER GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW S S%

40 L HENRIK ZETTERBERG 14 4 8 12 3 8 1 0 1 58 6.9

11 R DANIEL CLEARY 14 4 6 10 -1 2 1 0 0 20 20.0

13 C PAVEL DATSYUK 14 3 6 9 2 4 0 0 0 39 7.7

And we just got him for peanuts.

Let's all take a step back and think about the positives of this situation instead of irrationally whining.

Edited by Danielsm, 12 September 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#55 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

I wish I could fly to Traverse City and shake Dan Cleary's hand.

In this day and age of pro athletes chasing the Big $ at all costs, the guy walked away from millions of dollars, put his ego aside, crawled back to the negotiation table to eat some major crow, all so he could stay with friends,  teammates, and an organisation and town that he loves.

Cleary went toe to toe with one of Detroit's all time biggest nemesis, Chris Pronger, he went after Dion Phaneuf, knocking him silly, then getting an assist on the goal. He's scored numerous playoff game winning goals.  Even when he's basically duck taped together, he's still finishing checks and jumping into scrums. He is a winner, he is the epitome of a team heart and soul guy, he has hands, grit, and smarts.  He is a major contributor at all costs.

$1.75m!  Talk about a Hometown Discount!  

Totally glad he's back. And frankly, I can't see him really giving a s*** what number is on his jersey, as long as the logo is the Winged Wheel.

#56 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Let's not forget the playoffs:

# POS PLAYER GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW S S%

40 L HENRIK ZETTERBERG 14 4 8 12 3 8 1 0 1 58 6.9

11 R DANIEL CLEARY 14 4 6 10 -1 2 1 0 0 20 20.0

13 C PAVEL DATSYUK 14 3 6 9 2 4 0 0 0 39 7.7

And we just got him for peanuts.

Let's all take a step back and think about the positives of this situation instead of irrationally whining.

His contributions last post-season have been noted. The issue lies in him taking a roster spot from someone likes Tatar, who at this point, has to be feeling like a pile of garbage. You don't sign a veteran with a wonky knee at the expense of a 22-year-old goal scoring winger.

#57 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

GURANTEED that Tatar gets traded for picks now. And most likely Tootoo is dropped/demoted (WTF!!!). Only option for a GM who wants to keep everyone he can from last year and still have all the youngsters play in addition to signing two wingers.

So...

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

Franzen-Weiss-Alfie

I can go with that. That looks promising even though the 1st line is missing a real sniper (Hull, Hossa, etc).

Then this clusterflop.

Sammy-Helm(maybe)-Nyquist/Cleary/Bert

Tootoo/Miller-Andersson-Tatar/Eaves/someone I'm forgetting

I agree with regarding Tatar, he will get traded... same goes for Eaves and Tootoo (which is bad IMO).

It would be nice to pick some DEF... Franson could be nice addition to this team... but will not happen...

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#58 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

I wish I could fly to Traverse City and shake Dan Cleary's hand.

In this day and age of pro athletes chasing the Big $ at all costs, the guy walked away from millions of dollars, put his ego aside, crawled back to the negotiation table to eat some major crow, all so he could stay with friends,  teammates, and an organisation and town that he loves.

Cleary went toe to toe with one of Detroit's all time biggest nemesis, Chris Pronger, he went after Dion Phaneuf, knocking him silly, then getting an assist on the goal. He's scored numerous playoff game winning goals.  Even when he's basically duck taped together, he's still finishing checks and jumping into scrums. He is a winner, he is the epitome of a team heart and soul guy, he has hands, grit, and smarts.  He is a major contributor at all costs.

$1.75m!  Talk about a Hometown Discount!  

Totally glad he's back. And frankly, I can't see him really giving a s*** what number is on his jersey, as long as the logo is the Winged Wheel.

Edited by Danielsm, 12 September 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#59 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

I don't see why it's assumed that Tatar (of all people) is going to lose his spot to Cleary.  Tatar isn't going anywhere, he can't be sent down and the Wings aren't going to lose him for nothing via waivers.  This is mostly going to affect Tootoo and Eaves, and as I've already stated, Cleary is better than both. 

This is a positive guys and gals.

#60 SFwingsfan

SFwingsfan

Helm's Hoes

• HoF Booster
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

everyone calm down, it's a one year deal. yeah he's been useless during stretches over the last few years but he was solid in the playoffs. he's a huge asset in the locker room as well.