• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#81 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

For starters, our ideal roster has neither Bertuzzi nor Samuelsson, so we are immediately far out of the realm of ideal. If Helm can't go right away we again lose another preferred player and kick the can down the road as far as one roster spot and some cap-space. Sending Nyquist down is yet another move that isn't in the spirit of icing the best hockey team, but rather dealing with the mistakes of signing Bertuzzi and Samuelsson. Tootoo is as good as gone, which doesn't bother me too much if we can find a trade partner. I'll miss Eaves more and he will give us less cap-relief, but he may be our easiest to move. Then comes the question of what to do with Tatar. He'll probably end of in a rotation with Bert and Sammy with any given night having either $2M of slow, $3M of slow, or $800K of talent riding pine.

Unfortunately all of this has nothing to do with Cleary in particular and for the price and term, this is a spectacular move and shows just how much he loves the organization, which I can't fault him for. It just makes the already messed up situation with Samuelsson and Bertuzzi even more troublesome. Now whenever I picture Sammy, I don't even see him in his gear, just sitting there with his smirk, arms crossed, taking up bench and cap-space.

#82 YMHC

YMHC

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

WTF

i'm hurt now, thought he was gone, keep him away from Dats please.

Posted Image

#83 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,428 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

I love his work ethic; others could learn a lot from his example.

More importantly, I love that he loves this organization as much as he does.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#84 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Well what I am now going to type now is nothing against Cleary but seriously I am starting to wonder if Holland is showing to much loyality here? Guess the team was to young for Holland last season? Re-signing Bertuzzi was bad, signing Samuelson was stupid not going after an enforcer and bringing back Cleary is ridiculous. Maybe it is really time for Kenny to become VP and give the job to someone else? I am really starting to think, the overaching of last season has not been a good thing. Maybe the front office really believes thr team was close when in fact they just played beyond their overall talent level. Why is it so tough to make room for the young guys? Damnit

wche.jpg

in need of magic #13

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

#85 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

I love the organization, and i would even sing with the wings for.... FREE.

Even though that is a great deal, it wouldn't make any sense at all. The team is two players over the roster limit, and they are adding people.

It just seems like a step in the wrong direction to me.

Eff Chicago

#86 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

He's got great work ethic that's not the issue...
We are finally starting to bring in much needed youth. Sammy please be gone with you. Bert I sorry, we welcome you for your services.
Toto...meh for what you did thanks.
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#87 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

I'm sorry, I guess I don't get the anger.  We got a player of Cleary's caliber for less than we're paying Tootoo?  Even if he plays all season on the fourth line we're better off with this happening.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd MUCH rather have Cleary in the lineup than Tootoo or Eaves...and now he's the same price.

Good signing. 

Ideally, here's my lines.

Z-Dats-Abby

Alfie-Weiss-Franzen

Tatar-Andersson-Nyquist

Cleary-Helm-Miller

Sammy/Bert

Sadly, goodbye Eaves, Tootoo, and Emmerton (unless Helm is still hurt). 

The issue being that Nyquist ( potential second line player) will start in the minors. We all agree that if Nyquist were to start in Grand Rapids it would be straight up bananas

Posted Image

#88 Wingnut in WA

Wingnut in WA

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

Too bad his knees aren't as good as his heart.

Just a bad signing all around, puts our youth movement on hold. Tartar and Nyquist might not have full time spots because of this "warrior"

#89 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

Lmao

Too hilarious
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#90 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

For starters, our ideal roster has neither Bertuzzi nor Samuelsson, so we are immediately far out of the realm of ideal. If Helm can't go right away we again lose another preferred player and kick the can down the road as far as one roster spot and some cap-space. Sending Nyquist down is yet another move that isn't in the spirit of icing the best hockey team, but rather dealing with the mistakes of signing Bertuzzi and Samuelsson. Tootoo is as good as gone, which doesn't bother me too much if we can find a trade partner. I'll miss Eaves more and he will give us less cap-relief, but he may be our easiest to move. Then comes the question of what to do with Tatar. He'll probably end of in a rotation with Bert and Sammy with any given night having either $2M of slow, $3M of slow, or $800K of talent riding pine.

Unfortunately all of this has nothing to do with Cleary in particular and for the price and term, this is a spectacular move and shows just how much he loves the organization, which I can't fault him for. It just makes the already messed up situation with Samuelsson and Bertuzzi even more troublesome. Now whenever I picture Sammy, I don't even see him in his gear, just sitting there with his smirk, arms crossed, taking up bench and cap-space.

it does completely! are you on crack?? regardless of Cleary's contact  it adds another body which creates a bigger log jam with Bert and Sammy.

Posted Image

#91 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

I give Cleary credit for taking a pay cut to play with the team he loves. However, Holland has/had no room to make this signing. He will give up young talent because of the Sammy and now Cleary signing.

#92 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

Great post.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#93 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

I wish I could fly to Traverse City and shake Dan Cleary's hand.

In this day and age of pro athletes chasing the Big $ at all costs, the guy walked away from millions of dollars, put his ego aside, crawled back to the negotiation table to eat some major crow, all so he could stay with friends,  teammates, and an organisation and town that he loves.

Cleary went toe to toe with one of Detroit's all time biggest nemesis, Chris Pronger, he went after Dion Phaneuf, knocking him silly, then getting an assist on the goal. He's scored numerous playoff game winning goals.  Even when he's basically duck taped together, he's still finishing checks and jumping into scrums. He is a winner, he is the epitome of a team heart and soul guy, he has hands, grit, and smarts.  He is a major contributor at all costs.

$1.75m!  Talk about a Hometown Discount!  

Totally glad he's back. And frankly, I can't see him really giving a s*** what number is on his jersey, as long as the logo is the Winged Wheel.

I signed on just to say I like this post. While I'm not the biggest Cleary fan, I have a HUGE amount of respect for him and am glad he's a Red Wing. I really appreciate loyalty in this day and age.

#94 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

Loyalty towards the vets...
Maybe Holland is hoping Alfie looks at this and picks him up for the next five years. JK.
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#95 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

ughhhh this is awful i like clearly i like the one year deal but this just means hes probably gonna resign after next year as well and it complicates our roster further more this season and takes away ice time for the kids ... this team is way too loyal to veterans

#96 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

It's only one year and there's nothing wrong with having competition on the 4th line. Didn't we have 5 4th liners in 2008?
Edit: that was assuming Cleary ends up on the 4th line. I don't really want Tatar to end up down there

Edited by wingsfan4795, 12 September 2013 - 12:53 PM.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#97 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

It's only one year and there's nothing wrong with having competition on the 4th line. Didn't we have 5 4th liners in 2008?
Edit: that was assuming Cleary ends up on the 4th line. I don't really want Tatar to end up down there

only 1 year???? you are all going to wish he signed in Philly when next year we have to give Cleary 4 mil and we cant be in the free agent hunt

Posted Image

#98 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

After reading Holland's comments, I'd say it's pretty heavily implied that we can expect to see Cleary for another 3-4 years after this. I don't have anything personally against Cleary, but I find this a depressing prospect for the future.

#99 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

I don't see why it's assumed that Tatar (of all people) is going to lose his spot to Cleary.  Tatar isn't going anywhere, he can't be sent down and the Wings aren't going to lose him for nothing via waivers.  This is mostly going to affect Tootoo and Eaves, and as I've already stated, Cleary is better than both. 

This is a positive guys and gals.

I don't think Cleary is better than both. Eaves adds much more with his speed, penalty killing ability and chips in a few goals...While I don't think we need an enforcer, Tootoo does the job he was signed to do. Even Emmerton has value as a center. I was never looking at the Wings roster and thinking, gosh, what this roster really needs is an old, slow, broken down veteran. The Wings seem to have the leadership thing well taken care of. If they lose anyone other than Samuelsson, it's a bad signing.

As far as the Philly deal goes, it was never really made clear, but it doesn't sound like he was guaranteed a spot on the team. So that probably made it easier to turn down.

#100 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 675 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

only 1 year???? you are all going to wish he signed in Philly when next year we have to give Cleary 4 mil and we cant be in the free agent hunt

What?  Cleary is 34 years old, and everyone involved knows he only has a few (maybe four) more years in the tank.  This isn't a test contract, this is his career from here on out.  He'll get one, maybe two, year contracts until he retires.  And $4m?  At 34 he was offered an overpayment by Philly at $2.75m.  He's not likely to reach that again.

I say props to him for leaving millions and years on the table to play where his heart is.  And for us, as fans, I think we should be pleased as punch.  We have a player who undoubtedly wants to play here, who took a large discount to do so and is better than at least half the roster.  We have to shed a few forwards?  Boof****** hoo.  This guy is a better player, a better locker room presence and has more experience than all of those on the chopping block... and he's loyal to a fault.

No matter the log jam we have, our team just got better and did so on the cheap.  What's not to like about signing Dan Cleary for one year at $1.75m?  Seriously...

Edited by Uncle Danny, 12 September 2013 - 01:16 PM.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut