• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingedominance13

Cleary re-signs with Detroit, 1 year, $1.75m deal

Rate this topic

You guys are going on about how loyal he is that he's staying here for a discount. If he were really loyal he'd want the best team on the ice, and knowing that he's taking a spot from a younger player who needs the experience is just being selfish, not "loyal". He shouldn't have been resigned, he doesn't fill any holes that we have on the team, and essentially just creates bigger ones.

Guest Crymson

Sounds like your neighborhood is a bit destroyed for real, eh? Hope you and yours are all safe.

I'm actually in Denver now, so there's no problem; we've only got an inch of water in the streets, and the river that runs through the city is about eight feet below the streets. The same cannot be said for Boulder, but they'll be fine down there.

In contrast, the recoil from a railgun powerful enough to shoot an octopus to Traverse City would cause some serious problems.

You guys are going on about how loyal he is that he's staying here for a discount. If he were really loyal he'd want the best team on the ice, and knowing that he's taking a spot from a younger player who needs the experience is just being selfish, not "loyal". He shouldn't have been resigned, he doesn't fill any holes that we have on the team, and essentially just creates bigger ones.

So loyalty is I'm gonna sign somewhere else so you guys can be better for a cup run without me. Isn't exactly how it works... He took less to stay a wing... Detroit wants he back and he wanted to come back. He took less to make it happen and I'm assuming there is a plan because holland gets paid millions to have one. In just sending Nyquist, Deke and someone else down at the start of the season gives up cap relief and roster relief... I have a big feeling tootoo will be waived, helm starts the season on IR. There are plenty of ways out of this with out losing valuable pieces. Yes there will be some casualties and some guys might have to sit in the back seat for a month till we can actually start doing stuff with the roster...

Edit: Keep in mind this is an Olympic year condensed schedule, plus the numerous Wings playing in the tournament. Wings will be going down with injury's. Nyquist and Tatar are going to see plenty of quality ice time, and Cleary will be seen as a fortuitous signing after all, and boys from GR will still get plenty of NHLgames in.

Problem is, if Gus plays 2 more NHL games his waiver exempt status is no more. So either he stays down, stays up, or risks being lost for nothing.

I don't get it.We had the best Playoffs run since '09 playing the kids mostly and suddenly we're loaded with the vets again.

This. The young guns also contributed majorly during the run. Albeit Cleary did too but he was being plugged with far better players. Cleary on the 3rd/4th line won't be putting up many points or grinding down the opposition.

SI.com: Signing Dan Cleary could hurt Detroit Red Wings prospects

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Great article and exactly how I feel about the situation. Frankly I don't blame Tatar for being pissed. He's certainly earned a spot. Waited long enough. Did everything he could do to show he belongs. Stop signing old tired forwards, Kenny.

After reading Holland's comments, I'd say it's pretty heavily implied that we can expect to see Cleary for another 3-4 years after this. I don't have anything personally against Cleary, but I find this a depressing prospect for the future.

I think that will greatly depend on Cleary's health and contribution this year.

I like Cleary but signing him to a multiple year deal next year would be on a 35+ contract, wouldn't it? That's a little scary given his health and how he plays. Holland will likely thrown in a NTC just for fun so everyone on the team can have one except the captain.

I don't understand this move however I would not be surprised if Cleary is not in the starting line up by opening night. I honestly see him going to Grand Rapids and getting claimed off waivers. I get it, he has a lot of heart and will but his legs are slowly giving up on him and I would like to see Tomas Tatar finally earn a roster spot.

What surprises me the most is that Damien Brunner is still a UFA and I can promise you that he would of took the same deal..yet he is BETTER then Cleary. I don't want to hear anyone say that he lost his chance because his asking price was too high. Dan Cleary reject several offers since last summer. Dan Cleary used the "other teams" strategy with the press and Holland. Damien Brunner is 10x better then Cleary. Has more upside then Dan Cleary and yet we give a contract to someone who may not make it out of training camp. Again, I don't understand it. Does anyone want to point it out to me?

Gee, great. At least it's only for a year.

Cleary had better have an excellent year. Otherwise I'm going to do some very extreme nothing, because there's nothing I can do.

Ther'es a shock. I guess you like status quo and barely getting into the playoffs. :lol:

Edited by BuckeyeWingsfan80

Holland can eat s**t for making this move.

As if having Bertuzzi and Sammy isn't enough, now we have another old, useless player holding back young guys from significant playing time. We could lose Tatar over this, or maybe Nyquist gets sent to the minors, even though he's ready to be a regular player.

I wish Ilitch wasn't so disinterested in this team nowadays.

I congratulated Cleary on winning the lottery in Philly and not having to worry about us signing him .. guess I spoke too soon.

Having said that, don't know what to think. Wanted to see more youngens in the line up. Wish we could sign Brunner for that instead. Know that Cleary is character and clutch ... maybe we baby him until we get into the playoffs and hope that he has enough left in his knees to switch to beast mode? But damn ... we're right up against the cap now or even over according to CapGeek.

You know, with the salary he makes, he could be sent down to GR and the cap hit would be largely gone. As far as waivers, he's pretty much shown he doesn't want to play anywhere else so you'd only have to worry about Garth Snow trying to pick him up.

That's not on Cleary -- he didn't force Holland into giving him the contract. It isn't selfish; Cleary took below market value to stay. The blame here lies solely on Ken Holland again being overly loyal and filling this team with veterans at the expense of talented youth. I don't fault Cleary for wanting to play for this organization still. He can probably get two more contracts by sticking around.

I don't understand this move however I would not be surprised if Cleary is not in the starting line up by opening night. I honestly see him going to Grand Rapids and getting claimed off waivers. I get it, he has a lot of heart and will but his legs are slowly giving up on him and I would like to see Tomas Tatar finally earn a roster spot.

What surprises me the most is that Damien Brunner is still a UFA and I can promise you that he would of took the same deal..yet he is BETTER then Cleary. I don't want to hear anyone say that he lost his chance because his asking price was too high. Dan Cleary reject several offers since last summer. Dan Cleary used the "other teams" strategy with the press and Holland. Damien Brunner is 10x better then Cleary. Has more upside then Dan Cleary and yet we give a contract to someone who may not make it out of training camp. Again, I don't understand it. Does anyone want to point it out to me?

Brunner wants somewhere around three million. Where have there been any reports claiming he would sign for anything close to what Cleary did, for only one season no less?

Edited by GoWings1905

Guest Playmaker

It makes me laugh that some people actually think we are gonna lose Tatar because of signing Cleary for 1 year, when we have the likes of Tootoo, Emmerton, Eaves, and Samuelsson on the roster. Get real people.

Samuelsson has a NTC. Tootoo has 2 more years left on his contract. Emmerton is not really expendable due to Helm's health. So that leaves Eaves, with a cap hit under a million, under 30, great penalty killer and perfect 4th liner. Not to mention, we've been over the limit for some time now. I would imagine that Holland has been trying to make trades, even before the Cleary signing. Doubt there's a whole lot of interest.

Cleary was dreadfully slow and inept with an extended offseason and 48 game schedule. I can't wait to see what he's like after an 80 game schedule against the Eastern Conference.