• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingedominance13

Cleary re-signs with Detroit, 1 year, $1.75m deal

Rate this topic

What surprises me the most is that Damien Brunner is still a UFA and I can promise you that he would of took the same deal..

Maybe now that it is obvious either him or his agent were totally delusional, (and that's a big maybe) but even now I highly doubt he would take that deal.

Don't forget Brunner originally wanted a guaranteed top 6 spot, AND $3+ mil a year, AND a 3+ year contract.

Guest DeGraa55

Maybe now that it is obvious either him or his agent were totally delusional, (and that's a big maybe) but even now I highly doubt he would take that deal.

Don't forget Brunner originally wanted a guaranteed top 6 spot, AND $3+ mil a year, AND a 3+ year contract.

And thatsca better deal than cleary at 1.75m. AND wasting a spot AND in the top 9.

And thatsca better deal than cleary at 1.75m. AND wasting a spot AND in the top 9.

I agree.

I'd rather pay Brunner his money, than sign both Cleary and Miller (two guys we don't really need), on top of probably keeping Samuelsson. Mismanagement of resources by Holland.

My problem is that we don't seem to identify the up-and-coming stars to sign as free agents BEFORE they become stars. We seem to now get players after they have peaked and get the end of the career. I'm cool with Alfredsson since it is a one year deal and watching him last year, he still was a good player. But we need to target those 25-27 year olds and let them become stars HERE.

My problem is that we don't seem to identify the up-and-coming stars to sign as free agents BEFORE they become stars. We seem to now get players after they have peaked and get the end of the career. I'm cool with Alfredsson since it is a one year deal and watching him last year, he still was a good player. But we need to target those 25-27 year olds and let them become stars HERE.

When have the Wings been that team though? They've always relied on internal talent developing into stars, and most trades and FA signings have been relatively proven role players or veterans. It's a good system for always having competitive teams without overpaying for potential. This offseason is a great example, assuming that both Nyquist and Tatar find their way onto the team we've added youth from our own system and proven veterans for a sensible cost through free agency.

Cleary isn't a bad guy but I'll only hate this signing if, when all is said and done, it costs us Gus or Tatar.

Again, I don't know if this is a good deal yet for the team, as we're yet to see who it affects. If it means moving promising young guys or alienating them (further in some cases...), then I think it's a very bad move. But purely from the standpoint of the kind of player we got for the money, it's a very good, solid deal. I wouldn't say great. Hossa for life at $5 million is great. Cleary for a year at $1.75 is just a good deal. He took a lot less money to stay, and given his age, may've risked a lot of money given that he could've signed a 3-year deal if he made the Flyers. That's all impressive in this day and age, and I think it's a testament to who Dan Cleary is and what he means to this team.

And that said, I think we might be undervaluing him in that regard, as now you have a mid-level vet in the locker room who turned down the chance at a lot more money to be a part of this team, because this team is special. I've said for awhile that we need more of that kind of attitude on the Wings again and less of the paying older floaters like Samuellson $3 million a year or career underachievers like Flip anything close to the $5 million or whatever it is he wanted. Given that there's no going back now, I can only hope this attitude rubs off on more guys in the dressing room. Hopefully our younger guys that will undoubtedly see less ice time because of this will be mature enough to look at the situation with some perspective and consider why Cleary did what he did.

And again, to be clear, if he signed for a penny more than $2 million, I'd be livid about this. And if we end up losing one of our better prospects over this, I'll likely get livid then. But for now, I'm focusing on the upside of it, and hoping that things work out for the best. If they can smooth out the roster and cap issues without hurting the future of this roster, it'll continue to be a very good signing for the Wings. Hopefully he's motivated to prove that this wasn't a mistake either and earn an extension and silence the doubters. Time will tell.

One thing for sure though is that it's going to make for a hell of an interesting pre-season...

That moron Helene St. James tweeted it.

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 5h

Babcock not sure where he'll put Cleary for camp. Plan was with Zetterberg and Datsyuk, but Abdelkader scored twice today, so up in air now.

ohhh lawd.. not that either of them are my most preferred option at wing with pav and z but i'd MUCH rather have abby up there.

I sure hope they have a contingency plan since Holland and co. have seen fit to create even more of a logjam at forward than there already was

Cleary is a good teammate and locker room guy and all that, but he is past his prime and his body is already breaking down, I wish Holland didn't think that all players age like fine wine

I know a lot people keep pointing to his playoff performance last season, but how many here think he's likely to ever do that again?

I'll be happy to eat crow if I'm wrong and he ends up being a solid asset to the team, but this just reminds me too much of the 2nd coming of Sammy(lord help us to end that nightmare)

Ken Holland is too sentimental with his players. At some point you have to cut the cord and do what is best for the team and not for your personal friendships.

Do you have a crystal ball? Are you a GM with a decade + knowledge or a coach who is regarded as one of the best in hockey? Oh.... I didn't think so. You just assume having Cleary on the team isn't the best for the team but to be honest no one can say really what is best. We can only take a guess.

You guys are going on about how loyal he is that he's staying here for a discount. If he were really loyal he'd want the best team on the ice, and knowing that he's taking a spot from a younger player who needs the experience is just being selfish, not "loyal". He shouldn't have been resigned, he doesn't fill any holes that we have on the team, and essentially just creates bigger ones.

See above.

Cleary was dreadfully slow and inept with an extended offseason and 48 game schedule. I can't wait to see what he's like after an 80 game schedule against the Eastern Conference.

Personally I don't care if he puts up 0 points in the regular season if we hit the playoffs and he can be as effective as he was last year. Playoff performers are worth every penny.

But yes the roster limit does suck. I'll wait to see what happens, but i'm not gonna moan and cry about it before we know what happens. Then again thats what forums are for... to moan, cry, pretend to be a GM, pass judgement.... you know. Otherwise this place would be dead.

Guest Playmaker

Franzen has a much better playoff history than Cleary. Does that mean he will do it every year? No.

Exactly, like the time we picked up Dan Cleary.

I think we have enough players with a playoff history. It is time to inject players who can make their own history.

I won't argue that point as it has some merit. I'm just trying to say that you can't sit here and say 100% that this was a terrible signing cause no one really knows. After the year you can reflect back and pass your judgement.

The news of this signing is disgusting I keep thinking I'll wake up and that KH can't be that stupid to bring back Cleary but unfortunately he is. What a slap in the face to our up and coming players.

"What up and coming players? We have some? Oh, I suddenly feel like giving Samuelsson an extension. A contract extension, that is." - Ken Holland

I'm very happy he's back. He turned down considerable money to stay here, it shows he really feels his place is in Detroit. And his love for this team will definitely show on the ice, he's all heart! I suggest all the haters look back at some playoff videos...

I'm very happy he's back. He turned down considerable money to stay here, it shows he really feels his place is in Detroit. And his love for this team will definitely show on the ice, he's all heart! I suggest all the haters look back at some playoff videos...

This only shows how dumb Cleary is! He turns down a 3yr contract because he thought he was worth more to the team (lol). So they look else where and sign Weiss and Alfie. Cleary realizes he f***s up and take an amount that prolly twice the amount he's still worth but much less then he could have had. The amount stupidity on both sides is incomprehensible 1. We have no need for Cleary he's been replace. 2. He puts the Wings even more in a hole with too many forwards and even more above the cap. 3. Cleary can't even skate and stay on his feet.