• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#121 marcaractac

marcaractac

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

You may laugh, but if we can't find trading partners for trades we've ALREADY TRIED TO DO, and we need to get under the cap than Tatar is the only realistic option trade wise to free up space. Otherwise we're hoping teams pick up our 4th liners on waivers which won't happen as there are already a ton of unsigned 3rd/4th liners.

It's not funny, but it's a very likely option so I'd chill the attitude for now.

But nobody has been making moves over the summer. Once free agency settled down that was it. Everyone is waiting for camp and preseason to see where they are. That is when you will see moves get made. 

#122 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

Yeah, because package trades with multiple players never happen.  "OK you want Tatar, the price is that you also take Tootoo off my hands".  Certainly 100% completely impossible.

You have to keep in mind that such a trade will deminish what what we get in return. Even though they're getting more players, the other team would actually be helping us by taking on our bad contract(s).

I swear, sometimes it seems like this team is run as if it's a social club. Judging by holland's comments, it sounds like cleary will will get an extension next summer. I think this is a bad move from a morale standpoint as well as a development standpoint.

Edited by The Greek, 12 September 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#123 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

By no means am I comparing the 2 men, but many think Brian Burke has some screws loose...Just sayin.

That would be 1 helluva throw - considering Crymson lives in Colorado.

I could shoot it out of a railgun, but the recoil would destroy my neighborhood.

#124 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

I could shoot it out of a railgun, but the recoil would destroy my neighborhood.

Sounds like your neighborhood is a bit destroyed for real, eh?  Hope you and yours are all safe.

Vancouver's Team 1040 says Alfie may take #24, tells Cleary to keep 11.

Edit:  Keep in mind this is an Olympic year condensed schedule, plus the numerous Wings playing in the tournament.  Wings will be going down with injury's.  Nyquist and Tatar are going to see plenty of quality ice time, and Cleary will be seen as a fortuitous signing after all, and boys from GR will still get plenty of NHLgames in.

Edited by T.Low, 12 September 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#125 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,073 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

I have to think Holland has some deal in place, more or less. For all we know, he could've reached some kind of verbal agreement in principle a month ago and he and the would-be partner have just been waiting to see if something better doesn't come along.

Or maybe he really is improvising. In which case...well, honestly? That's kinda cool. Bad business and all that, maybe. But also kinda cool.

Or not.

Whatever.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#126 Wings10

Wings10

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

Ughhh..I liked all the moves Holland did this summer, till now.

#127 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

714-epic-facepalm.jpg

C'mon Holland, you don't have the room for him! What are you doing this year!!!

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#128 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

You guys are going on about how loyal he is that he's staying here for a discount. If he were really loyal he'd want the best team on the ice, and knowing that he's taking a spot from a younger player who needs the experience is just being selfish, not "loyal".  He shouldn't have been resigned, he doesn't fill any holes that we have on the team, and essentially just creates bigger ones.

#129 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

Sounds like your neighborhood is a bit destroyed for real, eh?  Hope you and yours are all safe.

I'm actually in Denver now, so there's no problem; we've only got an inch of water in the streets, and the river that runs through the city is about eight feet below the streets. The same cannot be said for Boulder, but they'll be fine down there.

In contrast, the recoil from a railgun powerful enough to shoot an octopus to Traverse City would cause some serious problems.

#130 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

You guys are going on about how loyal he is that he's staying here for a discount. If he were really loyal he'd want the best team on the ice, and knowing that he's taking a spot from a younger player who needs the experience is just being selfish, not "loyal".  He shouldn't have been resigned, he doesn't fill any holes that we have on the team, and essentially just creates bigger ones.

So loyalty is I'm gonna sign somewhere else so you guys can be better for a cup run without me. Isn't exactly how it works... He took less to stay a wing... Detroit wants he back and he wanted to come back. He took less to make it happen and I'm assuming there is a plan because holland gets paid millions to have one. In just sending Nyquist, Deke and someone else down at the start of the season gives up cap relief and roster relief... I have a big feeling tootoo will be waived, helm starts the season on IR. There are plenty of ways out of this with out losing valuable pieces. Yes there will be some casualties and some guys might have to sit in the back seat for a month till we can actually start doing stuff with the roster...

#131 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

I don't get it.We had the best Playoffs run since '09 playing the kids mostly and suddenly we're loaded with the vets again. 

#132 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Don't throw tomatoes at me but honestly, kinda glad he's back.

#133 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,073 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

SI.com: Signing Dan Cleary could hurt Detroit Red Wings prospects

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#134 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Edit:  Keep in mind this is an Olympic year condensed schedule, plus the numerous Wings playing in the tournament.  Wings will be going down with injury's.  Nyquist and Tatar are going to see plenty of quality ice time, and Cleary will be seen as a fortuitous signing after all, and boys from GR will still get plenty of NHLgames in.

Problem is, if Gus plays 2 more NHL games his waiver exempt status is no more.  So either he stays down, stays up, or risks being lost for nothing.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling, $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $0

#135 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

I don't get it.We had the best Playoffs run since '09 playing the kids mostly and suddenly we're loaded with the vets again. 

This. The young guns also contributed majorly during the run. Albeit Cleary did too but he was being plugged with far better players. Cleary on the 3rd/4th line won't be putting up many points or grinding down the opposition.

#136 TheCaptain19

TheCaptain19

LGW member since 00'

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

Where can I see some pics from training camp???

#137 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

SI.com: Signing Dan Cleary could hurt Detroit Red Wings prospects

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Great article and exactly how I feel about the situation. Frankly I don't blame Tatar for being pissed. He's certainly earned a spot. Waited long enough. Did everything he could do to show he belongs. Stop signing old tired forwards, Kenny.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#138 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,073 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

The "youth movement" was a lie. It was a matter of sheer necessity, not Holland finally coming around.

"Over-ripe."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#139 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Tsar-Nuclear-Explosion.jpg

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#140 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

After reading Holland's comments, I'd say it's pretty heavily implied that we can expect to see Cleary for another 3-4 years after this. I don't have anything personally against Cleary, but I find this a depressing prospect for the future.

I think that will greatly depend on Cleary's health and contribution this year. 

I like Cleary but signing him to a multiple year deal next year would be on a 35+ contract, wouldn't it?  That's a little scary given his health and how he plays.  Holland will likely thrown in a NTC just for fun so everyone on the team can have one except the captain.