• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#141 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

Is it true that Babs said he was/is considering playing Cleary with Z and D?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#142 HIFI_canadian

HIFI_canadian

Give me some of that TATAR sauce

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

I don't understand this move however I would not be surprised if Cleary is not in the starting line up by opening night. I honestly see him going to Grand Rapids and getting claimed off waivers. I get it, he has a lot of heart and will but his legs are slowly giving up on him and I would like to see Tomas Tatar finally earn a roster spot. 

What surprises me the most is that Damien Brunner is still a UFA and I can promise you that he would of took the same deal..yet he is BETTER then Cleary. I don't want to hear anyone say that he lost his chance because his asking price was too high. Dan Cleary reject several offers since last summer. Dan Cleary used the "other teams" strategy with the press and Holland. Damien Brunner is 10x better then Cleary. Has more upside then Dan Cleary and yet we give a contract to someone who may not make it out of training camp. Again, I don't understand it. Does anyone want to point it out to me?

tomastatar.png

#143 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

Is it true that Babs said he was/is considering playing Cleary with Z and D?

I saw nothing on this, I assumed that D, Z and Abs are playing together on the 1st line.

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#144 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

Gee, great. At least it's only for a year.

Cleary had better have an excellent year. Otherwise I'm going to do some very extreme nothing, because there's nothing I can do.

Ther'es a shock.  I guess you like status quo and barely getting into the playoffs.  :lol:

Edited by BuckeyeWingsfan80, 12 September 2013 - 05:36 PM.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#145 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

Yes! Welcome back/thanks for not leaving Daniel Cleary!!!

#146 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Holland can eat s**t for making this move.

As if having Bertuzzi and Sammy isn't enough, now we have another old, useless player holding back young guys from significant playing time.  We could lose Tatar over this, or maybe Nyquist gets sent to the minors, even though he's ready to be a regular player.   

I wish Ilitch wasn't so disinterested in this team nowadays.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#147 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

I congratulated Cleary on winning the lottery in Philly and not having to worry about us signing him .. guess I spoke too soon. 

Having said that, don't know what to think.  Wanted to see more youngens in the line up.  Wish we could sign Brunner for that instead.  Know that Cleary is character and clutch ... maybe we baby him until we get into the playoffs and hope that he has enough left in his knees to switch to beast mode?   But damn ... we're right up against the cap now or even over according to CapGeek.  

#148 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

@RedWingsFeed: In the history of the world, the boombox method has now worked, twice

:lol:

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#149 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

I saw nothing on this, I assumed that D, Z and Abs are playing together on the 1st line.

Given Abby scored 2 in today's scrimmage playing along side Hank & Pavs, I'm thinking that line is pretty much set.

#150 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

You know, with the salary he makes, he could be sent down to GR and the cap hit would be largely gone. As far as waivers, he's pretty much shown he doesn't want to play anywhere else so you'd only have to worry about Garth Snow trying to pick him up.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#151 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,516 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

You guys are going on about how loyal he is that he's staying here for a discount. If he were really loyal he'd want the best team on the ice, and knowing that he's taking a spot from a younger player who needs the experience is just being selfish, not "loyal".  He shouldn't have been resigned, he doesn't fill any holes that we have on the team, and essentially just creates bigger ones.

That's not on Cleary -- he didn't force Holland into giving him the contract. It isn't selfish; Cleary took below market value to stay. The blame here lies solely on Ken Holland again being overly loyal and filling this team with veterans at the expense of talented youth. I don't fault Cleary for wanting to play for this organization still. He can probably get two more contracts by sticking around.

I don't understand this move however I would not be surprised if Cleary is not in the starting line up by opening night. I honestly see him going to Grand Rapids and getting claimed off waivers. I get it, he has a lot of heart and will but his legs are slowly giving up on him and I would like to see Tomas Tatar finally earn a roster spot. 

What surprises me the most is that Damien Brunner is still a UFA and I can promise you that he would of took the same deal..yet he is BETTER then Cleary. I don't want to hear anyone say that he lost his chance because his asking price was too high. Dan Cleary reject several offers since last summer. Dan Cleary used the "other teams" strategy with the press and Holland. Damien Brunner is 10x better then Cleary. Has more upside then Dan Cleary and yet we give a contract to someone who may not make it out of training camp. Again, I don't understand it. Does anyone want to point it out to me?

Brunner wants somewhere around three million. Where have there been any reports claiming he would sign for anything close to what Cleary did, for only one season no less?

Edited by GoWings1905, 12 September 2013 - 06:25 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#152 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

It makes me laugh that some people actually think we are gonna lose Tatar because of signing Cleary for 1 year, when we have the likes of Tootoo, Emmerton, Eaves, and Samuelsson on the roster. Get real people.

Samuelsson has a NTC. Tootoo has 2 more years left on his contract. Emmerton is not really expendable due to Helm's health. So that leaves Eaves, with a cap hit under a million, under 30, great penalty killer and perfect 4th liner. Not to mention, we've been over the limit for some time now. I would imagine that Holland has been trying to make trades, even before the Cleary signing. Doubt there's a whole lot of interest.

Cleary was dreadfully slow and inept with an extended offseason and 48 game schedule. I can't wait to see what he's like after an 80 game schedule against the Eastern Conference.

#153 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

Holland has just proven this off season is a failure. Thanks.

#154 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

Where's that puking smiley when you need it :evil:

#155 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

What surprises me the most is that Damien Brunner is still a UFA and I can promise you that he would of took the same deal..

Maybe now that it is obvious either him or his agent were totally delusional, (and that's a big maybe) but even now I highly doubt he would take that deal.

Don't forget Brunner originally wanted a guaranteed top 6 spot, AND $3+ mil a year, AND a 3+ year contract.

#156 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

Maybe now that it is obvious either him or his agent were totally delusional, (and that's a big maybe) but even now I highly doubt he would take that deal.

Don't forget Brunner originally wanted a guaranteed top 6 spot, AND $3+ mil a year, AND a 3+ year contract.

And thatsca better deal than cleary at 1.75m. AND wasting a spot AND in the top 9.

#157 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

And thatsca better deal than cleary at 1.75m. AND wasting a spot AND in the top 9.

I agree.

I'd rather pay Brunner his money, than sign both Cleary and Miller (two guys we don't really need), on top of probably keeping Samuelsson.  Mismanagement of resources by Holland.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#158 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

My problem is that we don't seem to identify the up-and-coming stars to sign as free agents BEFORE they become stars. We seem to now get players after they have peaked and get the end of the career. I'm cool with Alfredsson since it is a one year deal and watching him last year, he still was a good player. But we need to target those 25-27 year olds and let them become stars HERE.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#159 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

My problem is that we don't seem to identify the up-and-coming stars to sign as free agents BEFORE they become stars. We seem to now get players after they have peaked and get the end of the career. I'm cool with Alfredsson since it is a one year deal and watching him last year, he still was a good player. But we need to target those 25-27 year olds and let them become stars HERE.

When have the Wings been that team though? They've always relied on internal talent developing into stars, and most trades and FA signings have been relatively proven role players or veterans. It's a good system for always having competitive teams without overpaying for potential. This offseason is a great example, assuming that both Nyquist and Tatar find their way onto the team we've added youth from our own system and proven veterans for a sensible cost through free agency.

Cleary isn't a bad guy but I'll only hate this signing if, when all is said and done, it costs us Gus or Tatar.

#160 datterberg1340

datterberg1340

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

Cleary 1 yr 1.75 mil according to Holland

GOD

DAMNIT

:evil: