• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingedominance13

Cleary re-signs with Detroit, 1 year, $1.75m deal

Rate this topic

The only way I'm okay with this is if Cleary plays on the 3rd and 4th lines. If he gets a top 6 spot with top 6 minutes like he did last season, then this signing is a major fail (especially with all the overload of talent we already have). But at 1.75M, I can live with it as long as he plays where he should (bottom 6) and doesn't steal any PP time away from more deserving talented players.

The other thing that makes this easier to live with is not only did he take less money to stay here, but that it's a one year deal, so he'll have more incentive and motivation than ever (if he wants an extension past the 1 year deal). So really this is a "prove it" kind of deal. And if he proves he can play like the Dan Cleary of a few years ago, then great. If not, then it will be a no-brainer to move on after the season.

So, is Cleary gonna throw the dukes now? Tootoo (as much as I disliked him from Nashville) serves a purpose. Who's our fighter now? Abby?

I'm sorry, I guess I don't get the anger. We got a player of Cleary's caliber for less than we're paying Tootoo? Even if he plays all season on the fourth line we're better off with this happening. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd MUCH rather have Cleary in the lineup than Tootoo or Eaves...and now he's the same price.

Good signing.

Wow, late to this party. I said 3 months ago I would be happy re-signing Cleary for 1 year, on a cheap contract - if he was in the 4th line rotation, playing limited minutes, then wheel him out for the playoffs.

But, as others have said, if we lose Tatar because of Cleary/Eaves/Emmerton/Miller/Bertuzzi/Samuelsson...

Welcome Back Daniel. I'm sure the other Daniel can now wear a new number like #24 which was Alfy's old Number in the Swedish Elite League. When he joined in 92-95. So I guess ALF doesn't have to wear number 11 anymore. He even said he will give it up so Clearly can have it. i think Clearly should just pick a new number and let ALF keep he's Ottawa number.

Edited by redhasek2013

Guest Crymson

Well, this makes me feel a tad better about it. Apparently the entire roster thinks that he's an important piece, so who are we to judge?

I am also glad he is back. He is a warrior and a leader... total class act.

I wonder, is there another Red Wing forum with rational fans?

After signing Weiss, Alfie, Nyquist, Gus and Smith, plus inking Pavs to an extension, Holland was a genius. Then he re-signs a team leader for less than he offered him a couple months ago and it's time, once again, to fire Holland... it's laughable.

We have the best GM and the best coach.

Wins cures all of this and if we do make a long run in the playoffs, regardless of the lines Babs decides to roll, I hope all the doubters calling for Holland's and Bab's heads to roll will eat crow.

I love our Wings and what we are about.

Well, this makes me feel a tad better about it. Apparently the entire roster thinks that he's an important piece, so who are we to judge?

EXACTLY! Our team captain was campaigning for him to come back... But the average LGW poster knows more about hockey than Zetterberg (and Holland, Babs, Howe, Yzerman, Gretzky, God, ...)

Guest Crymson

Yeah, because package trades with multiple players never happen. "OK you want Tatar, the price is that you also take Tootoo off my hands". Certainly 100% completely impossible.

Yes, that is actually 100% impossible unless Holland has a gun put to his head by another GM. There is not the faintest chance that he would dump one of his best, most NHL-ready prospects just to get rid of Tootoo.

Edited by Crymson

I am also glad he is back. He is a warrior and a leader... total class act.

I wonder, is there another Red Wing forum with rational fans?

After signing Weiss, Alfie, Nyquist, Gus and Smith, plus inking Pavs to an extension, Holland was a genius. Then he re-signs a team leader for less than he offered him a couple months ago and it's time, once again, to fire Holland... it's laughable.

We have the best GM and the best coach.

Wins cures all of this and if we do make a long run in the playoffs, regardless of the lines Babs decides to roll, I hope all the doubters calling for Holland's and Bab's heads to roll will eat crow.

I love our Wings and what we are about.

EXACTLY! Our team captain was campaigning for him to come back... But the average LGW poster knows more about hockey than Zetterberg (and Holland, Babs, Howe, Yzerman, Gretzky, God, ...)

Please forgive me for having my opinion, although I am not a GM so shame on me. Holland has made more mistakes than usual during the past years (every GM does they're humans after all) but this team is already over the cap. I don't need to be a GM in order to figure out, that they have to trim the roster if that means one of Tatar, Nyquist, Kindl or Dekeyser has to be sent down or traded I will be pissed off and guess I have every right to be pissed off.

This is NOT a Stanley Cup pushing roster so why not see what the young guns can do and off-load the vets? I love the dedication and heart Cleary brings, he took a great paycut but seriously this team couldn't afford to go even more over the cap because it means more trouble in teerms of roster-space. Again, I don't need to be a GM in order to know such simple mathematic things.

Ok the DetroitRedWings wanted Cleary back badly, why go out and sign an over the hill Alfie then? When a guy like Bobby Ryan was available for spare parts? Holland used to be not only the best but also the GM who got the players he wanted, when he wanted them I am just questioning whatever happened to the Wings want a player, they have a 90 % chance to get him? Now they have to sign either over the hill players or play the youth combined with not having enough room because of incredible vet-loyality.

Guest Crymson
if that means one of Tatar, Nyquist, Kindl or Dekeyser has to be sent down or traded I will be pissed off and guess I have every right to be pissed off.

That's a pretty big if.

Ok the DetroitRedWings wanted Cleary back badly, why go out and sign an over the hill Alfie then? When a guy like Bobby Ryan was available for spare parts? Holland used to be not only the best but also the GM who got the players he wanted, when he wanted them I am just questioning whatever happened to the Wings want a player, they have a 90 % chance to get him?

Holland can no longer automatically draw the best players because this is the parity era. He can no longer outspend everyone and thus build a perennial juggernaut. It's as simple as that. That said, he has had more success in the parity era than anyone else. It could be argued that Ray Shero is just as successful, but then Shero inherited a team chock-full of lottery picks from being terrible for so long.

That said, if you think that two out of the Senators' four best prospects plus a first-round pick constitutes spare parts, then I don't think we should be talking at all.

Edited by Crymson

This is NOT a Stanley Cup pushing roster so why not see what the young guns can do and off-load the vets?

Really? This team was a goal away from the Conference Finals while rebuilding on the fly and has improved quite a bit with the new additions (Alfie, Weiss) while keeping the core of Kronner, Z, Pavs, Ericsson and Howard. This is a better roster than last season, especially for guys like Gus, Andy, Deke who have basically doubled their NHL experience, including playoffs.

Yes, that is actually 100% impossible unless Holland has a gun put to his head by another GM. There is not the faintest chance that he would dump one of his best, most NHL-ready prospects just to get rid of Tootoo.

Like the metaphorical gun of 29 GMs knowing you need to move bodies out and there being no trade market for two of the players (Eaves & Tootoo) you prefer to deal? There will be a market for Tatar and Kenny would be crazy for not trying to include Eaves or Tootoo in discussions to get closer to solving his roster issues if trading Tatar becomes a serious consideration. If Kenny's not willing to do that, then he is pretty much forced to use waivers. Given that most of the potential targets for that (Eaves, Tootoo, Sammy, Bert) would still count against the cap if not claimed (and they wouldn't be imo) or would mean leaving Nyquist and/or DeKeyser in GR for the bulk of if not the full season, the Wings will be dealing with this mess all season. In all honesty though, I actually don't think Kenny will be able to find a trade partner at all because I don't think he'll be willing to trade from a position as weak as he finds himself in now, but I also didn't think he would further compound his cap/roster problems by signing Cleary in the first place. So I'm not suggesting that Kenny should "dump" Tatar in order to get rid of Tootoo, I'm saying that Tatar is really the only player Kenny will find a trade market for & when he does, he really should find a way to turn it into a multi-player deal if he even considers trading his AHL playoff MVP.

Edited by ogreslayer

Do you have a crystal ball? Are you a GM with a decade + knowledge or a coach who is regarded as one of the best in hockey? Oh.... I didn't think so. You just assume having Cleary on the team isn't the best for the team but to be honest no one can say really what is best. We can only take a guess.

There is no guessing here my friend. Yeah we not be a GM or a head coach, but we have two eyes, and we understand hockey.

You don't need a crystal ball to see that this guy does cannot skate, cannot shoot, etc., to the point that he makes us better.

Am I a bad person for hoping for a continuous series of non-painful temporary ouchies for the forwards on the team? Just enough for them to take turns on LTIR so we don't have to get rid of anyone. Then they can all be healthy in the playoffs.

Am I a bad person for hoping for a continuous series of non-painful temporary ouchies for the forwards on the team? Just enough for them to take turns on LTIR so we don't have to get rid of anyone. Then they can all be healthy in the playoffs.

Haha, I was considering asking the same thing.

What if three weeks from now we've got several guys out with injuries?

I bet Holland is (very secretly) making voodoo dolls.

No, because that is actually the best case scenario probably to deal with roster/cap crunch as long as it's the right players.

Cleary related camp news...

"@AnsarKhanMLive: Cleary replaces Bertuzzi on line with Andersson and Nyquist. Bertuzzi replaces Jurco on line with Sheahan and Tatar. Jurco-Jarnkrok-Ferraro"

I'm okay with the CAN line.