• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Wing

Next Stage of Prospects: Who Makes the Cut?

Rate this topic

What's the deal with Mantha being ineligable for the AHL this season? I keep reading in places that he can only play in the OHL or NHL in 2013-14, but I've not read anywhere why

It's his age. He can play in the NHL but is too young for the AHL. If that makes any sense...lol

There is a private agreement in place between the NHL and the CHL that governs when a player coming from the CHL can play in the AHL. A player from the CHL has to either turn 20 by December 31st of the season OR have completed 4 seasons of junior eligibility. This agreement also covers European players if they are drafted out of the CHL.

College players and European players (provided they are drafted out of Europe--even if they later play in the CHL) are not covered by this agreement. They only have to abide by the AHL's age requirement, which is that a player has to turn 18 by September 15 of any given season to be eligible to play.

The prospect I am most excited about is Mike McKee we are going to need this guy sooner than later. Mantha playing in the OHL may not be the best thing but it will give him time, to round out his game getting bigger and stronger and working on same shortcomings. I am very sure the coaching stuff already has a plan and schedule for him.

No I didn't forget them. I stated in the initial post why I didn't include Frk, Mantha, Athanasiou etc.

I agree. I think they're going to take their time with Sproul. Massive potential though.

In what context? I would have to think that's in relation to our other prospects just drafted with him and not our entire prospect base. Still going to be a few years before we see him. He will see the AHL first.

Ahh yea, my bad.. I must've just read the list. I do think all three are potentially only a couple years out but the way the wings work that means we might see them in about 4-5 years ha kidding (sort of)

Ahh yea, my bad.. I must've just read the list. I do think all three are potentially only a couple years out but the way the wings work that means we might see them in about 4-5 years ha kidding (sort of)

I think this whole "overripe" things sort of ebbs and flows depending on the composition of the team. I mean, for the last five or six years it's certainly been the case, but only because the team had a pretty solid nucleus of young(ish) players already in place. So there were fewer spots up for grabs. But prior to that, we brought along prospects relatively quickly. Zetterberg, Helm, Abdelkader, Hudler and Filppula were all 22 when they started seeing regular time with the big club. Datsyuk was older when he started the development process to begin with, and was already playing pro hockey when drafted, so no over development there . Ericsson, Howard, Kronwall, and Kindl where all older when they finally got their starts, but as noted time and again, goalies and defensemen take longer to develop than do forwards.

Edited by kipwinger

I think this whole "overripe" things sort of ebbs and flows depending on the composition of the team. I mean, for the last five or six years it's certainly been the case, but only because the team had a pretty solid nucleus of young(ish) players already in place. So there were fewer spots up for grabs. But prior to that, we brought along prospects relatively quickly. Zetterberg, Helm, Abdelkader, Hudler and Filppula were all 22 when they started seeing regular time with the big club. Datsyuk was older when he started the development process to begin with, and was already playing pro hockey when drafted, so no over development there . Ericsson, Howard, Kronwall, and Kindl where all older when they finally got their starts, but as noted time and again, goalies and defensemen take longer to develop than do forwards.

fair point. let's just hope we see some of the elders stay off the books after this season. I'd love to watch a couple kids come up and do a great job.

fair point. let's just hope we see some of the elders stay off the books after this season. I'd love to watch a couple kids come up and do a great job.

I completely agree with you, there's a couple of guys with GR that I am really excited about. And I think that we definitely will see some names come off the books in the next two years so we're good there. I saw previously you'd posted about Frk and Jurco and I think those are the two I'm most excited about as well. I see Frk as a Vanek type player, and I can't remember the last guy Detroit had with that kind of size and skill combination. Hossa I guess.

I've always considered the overripe/lack of youth thing to be a myth more than anything else. As you mentioned, the Wings have done a good job of getting a mix of youth into the lineup over the years. I think were many get frustrated is that you don't see propsects move right into top 6/top pairing roles with the Wings like you do with other teams, even if that's where their skillset says they should be. And as for where they sit now with the logjam at forward at least, I do wonder just how further along the integration of the Nyquists, Tatars, & Anderssons would be now if not for the lockout last season. I still think if not for that looming last off season, you don't see Kenny bring Sammy back into the fold at the very least.

Now on the issue of "next up", I think the next two prospects who should see extended action with the big club when injuries happen up front will be Sheahan & Ferraro (depending on what happens with Eaves & Tootoo who I think are the two odd men out right now) with an outside shot of seeing Jurco get some time too. I could see the organization potentially wanting though to keep Sheahan & Jurco in GR to get as much experience as they can as the Griffin's top line.