• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Oilers Headcoach Dallas Eakins removing past pictures

Rate this topic

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers/Eakins+honour+only+current+players/8915321/story.html

“I thought it was really important that our team be featured in that room. I’m going to do my best to make sure that there is a picture of every guy on our roster in that room somewhere,” said Eakins. “That is their dressing room. It is not Mark Messier’s dressing room, and this is no disrespect. We will definitely try and emulate the play of those teams and the success they had. I just want these guys to be comfortable with their room.”

Most of the items that have been removed will be hung in other areas of the rink, so the fans can see them. The carpet was also replaced and will soon sport a new team logo rather than the synthetic ice rink that once covered the centre of the floor. Eakins said there are other elements to be added, as well.

He also said in the end, it is still about competing when the puck drops, that you could paint “flowers and dinosaurs on the walls,” but you still have to go out and play the game.

Sorry for posting another not DetroitRedWings related story but I think it just shows, how thankful we as Wingsfans can be to not have those kind of things happening to this club. I thought Eakins would be a great coach and somewhat of a mentor someday, but messing with the past Liewekestyle is an absolute No-Go. I mean the Oilers were one of the last great dynasties they've had Gretzky, Messier, Coffey and Hamilton all numbers are retired and this newbie-coach is taking them off?

Sorry for posting another not DetroitRedWings related story but I think it just shows, how thankful we as Wingsfans can be to not have those kind of things happening to this club. I thought Eakins would be a great coach and somewhat of a mentor someday, but messing with the past Liewekestyle is an absolute No-Go. I mean the Oilers were one of the last great dynasties they've had Gretzky, Messier, Coffey and Hamilton all numbers are retired and this newbie-coach is taking them off?

As a fan I would be pissed for not showing respect and honor of the past, I don't buy into the argument that this would be too much pressure for the new guys usually seeing former greats should help keeping them motivated and focused.

Edited by frankgrimes

I think it would be an inspiration to get a young team to make their own history.

They are a part of a franchise that has had some great teams, but they haven't really accomplished anything yet. Its their time to step up, its their time now.

Just my 2c

I think he's got the right idea. He's just taking the pictures out of the dressing room... if he feels that he needs to make a statement to his young players about looking forward instead of backward this is a pretty simple way to do it. It's not like the Oilers are taking banners down or changing anything other than the home dressing room.

I think it would be an inspiration to get a young team to make their own history.

They are a part of a franchise that has had some great teams, but they haven't really accomplished anything yet. Its their time to step up, its their time now.

Just my 2c

Obviously, it hasn't inspired anybody, yet...

It's not messing with history, it's trying to tweak the current team's psyche.