• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,055 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

With about 90,000 articles published about Abdelkader yesterday, I thought I'd make a thread.

In case you don't know, he really impressed in camp, especially in the scrimmages (goals, assists, hard work, heart, grit). There are those who feel he's poised to take a major step forward. I'm happy about this, because no one seems to know what's up with our official top-six power-forward. (See also: Babcock perhaps indirectly calling Franzen out by expressing his displeasure with the second line of Franzen - Weiss - Alfredsson.) And because "Abby" seems like a good guy. And because we really do need that Homer element on the top line if Z and D are going to be on it.

And yet, it seems Babs is still considering putting Cleary on that line. Which rubs me kinda wrong, but I don't want this to be another Cleary thread.

So. Abdelkader. Thoughts? Do you like him on the first line, with Z and D? Might he be better placed on the second line, whatever that may be?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#2 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

I still think he's a bottom 6 player/checking line fwd.

The only reason he was ever on the top line was bc he was the last big body we had that was healthy.

And while playing top line minutes with 2 of the most skilled playmaking forwards in the league he managed only 3 pts in 12 games. Abby is not our next great pwf

#3 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

Welp if Abby keeps motoring through the year as a power forward we can buyout Franzen next year and be rid of his contract. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#4 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

I still think he's a bottom 6 player/checking line fwd.

The only reason he was ever on the top line was bc he was the last big body we had that was healthy.

And while playing top line minutes with 2 of the most skilled playmaking forwards in the league he managed only 3 pts in 12 games. Abby is not our next great pwf

If the choice is between Abdelkader and Cleary I'll take Abdelkader on the top line.

#5 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

If the choice is between Abdelkader and Cleary I'll take Abdelkader on the top line.

...You shouldn't have either on your top line

#6 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

Abdelkader is better than Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Cleary as a top line wing. But I would have liked to see Horton, instead.

#7 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

Abdelkader is better than Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Cleary as a top line wing. But I would have liked to see Horton, instead.

except you wouldn't see horton until december and then he's one good hit away from another long absense. Horton is a beast but his injuries/concussions are piling up.

#8 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

...You shouldn't have either on your top line

but assuming that the second line is Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson who do we have left for the top line?

#9 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

but assuming that the second line is Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson who do we have left for the top line?

My choice would be Tatar, Bert, or Sammy. I don't buy into the irrational "Sammy sux" bc he was hurt mentality, bad contract or not.

#10 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

Well I've generally tended to believe that Abby doesn't have enough upside as a point producer to justify his top six presence, and that may well turn out to be the case.  However, everyone in the organization seems to believe that he still has another level to his game.  So I don't really see the problem with putting him up there.  If he works out, great.  If not, Bert, Sammy, or Cleary can do the job until someone better comes along.  Personally, I still think Bertuzzi can be dangerous in the right role.  He can hang on to the puck down low, he passes well, he's serviceable defensively, and he'll go to the high traffic areas.  On a line with Z and D he'd give you 10-15 goals, and 20+ assists.  For me those are fine numbers for your third forward on the top line. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#11 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

I don't mind where he is, as long as it's not in the penalty box.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#12 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

It took a long time last season to see whether Abby was capable of being a difference maker on the top six, and for whatever reason Pavel kept praising him and insisting that they be on a line together. When the playoffs arrived Abby really made his presence felt, and it seems like he is going to continue to solidify his game, which is nothing but good news for us, assuming he can be consistent.

#13 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

I like it and liked it last year as well. He has actually more speed than a typical power forward which allowshim to keep up with z or DAT which homer couldn't do. His downside is that he isn't as good as homer in front of the net....but imean come on who is.
  • Nev likes this

#14 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

I don't understand why people still have a problem with Abby on the first line even if he doesn't produce much. Someones got to pull the piano and someones got to play it. This year it appears as if he might be poised to do a little of both.

#15 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

except you wouldn't see horton until december and then he's one good hit away from another long absense. Horton is a beast but his injuries/concussions are piling up.

You are right. But he would be better than Abby when healthy, right?

#16 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

So after a couple intra-team scrimmages against mostly players with 0 NHL experience people are ready to call him Homer 2.0. This will end really badly if that's what you think he is. 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#17 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

Abby will forever be the hottest Red Wing in a dress when Flashy makes his GDTs. 

Other than that, career 3rd-4th line forward. I didn't much care for him on Datsyuks line last year and would rather not revisit that scenario again.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#18 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

His numbers last year weren't that good, considering he got significant 1st line minutes, especially in the playoffs.

If he plays on the top two lines again, it's a further indication that we need a "real" top 6 winger who can score.

I don't understand why people still have a problem with Abby on the first line even if he doesn't produce much. Someones got to pull the piano and someones got to play it. This year it appears as if he might be poised to do a little of both.

Because a great center like Datsyuk should be playing with a good winger, not an Abdelkader.  Even Crosby couldn't make Abdelkader score 50 points.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#19 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

Abdelkader is a better option, I guess, than Cleary, Samuelsson, or Bertuzzi.  I HIGHLY doubt Babcock would use Tatar in that spot, even though he may be the best-suited player to fill that position.

#20 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

I solemnly believe that Abdelkader has the talent to be a 20-goal scorer in the NHL. He exhibited that skill with his hat trick against Anaheim. I think he simply lacks a certain level of confidence.

I like it and liked it last year as well. He has actually more speed than a typical power forward which allowshim to keep up with z or DAT which homer couldn't do. His downside is that he isn't as good as homer in front of the net....but imean come on who is.

Homer was able to keep up with Datsyuk and Zetterberg until his last two seasons. He was slow but managed to stay in position nevertheless.