• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Abdelkader

Rate this topic

With about 90,000 articles published about Abdelkader yesterday, I thought I'd make a thread.

In case you don't know, he really impressed in camp, especially in the scrimmages (goals, assists, hard work, heart, grit). There are those who feel he's poised to take a major step forward. I'm happy about this, because no one seems to know what's up with our official top-six power-forward. (See also: Babcock perhaps indirectly calling Franzen out by expressing his displeasure with the second line of Franzen - Weiss - Alfredsson.) And because "Abby" seems like a good guy. And because we really do need that Homer element on the top line if Z and D are going to be on it.

And yet, it seems Babs is still considering putting Cleary on that line. Which rubs me kinda wrong, but I don't want this to be another Cleary thread.

So. Abdelkader. Thoughts? Do you like him on the first line, with Z and D? Might he be better placed on the second line, whatever that may be?

I still think he's a bottom 6 player/checking line fwd.

The only reason he was ever on the top line was bc he was the last big body we had that was healthy.

And while playing top line minutes with 2 of the most skilled playmaking forwards in the league he managed only 3 pts in 12 games. Abby is not our next great pwf

I still think he's a bottom 6 player/checking line fwd.

The only reason he was ever on the top line was bc he was the last big body we had that was healthy.

And while playing top line minutes with 2 of the most skilled playmaking forwards in the league he managed only 3 pts in 12 games. Abby is not our next great pwf

If the choice is between Abdelkader and Cleary I'll take Abdelkader on the top line.

Guest ForzaVerde

Abdelkader is better than Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Cleary as a top line wing. But I would have liked to see Horton, instead.

Abdelkader is better than Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Cleary as a top line wing. But I would have liked to see Horton, instead.

except you wouldn't see horton until december and then he's one good hit away from another long absense. Horton is a beast but his injuries/concussions are piling up.

but assuming that the second line is Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson who do we have left for the top line?

My choice would be Tatar, Bert, or Sammy. I don't buy into the irrational "Sammy sux" bc he was hurt mentality, bad contract or not.

Well I've generally tended to believe that Abby doesn't have enough upside as a point producer to justify his top six presence, and that may well turn out to be the case. However, everyone in the organization seems to believe that he still has another level to his game. So I don't really see the problem with putting him up there. If he works out, great. If not, Bert, Sammy, or Cleary can do the job until someone better comes along. Personally, I still think Bertuzzi can be dangerous in the right role. He can hang on to the puck down low, he passes well, he's serviceable defensively, and he'll go to the high traffic areas. On a line with Z and D he'd give you 10-15 goals, and 20+ assists. For me those are fine numbers for your third forward on the top line.

It took a long time last season to see whether Abby was capable of being a difference maker on the top six, and for whatever reason Pavel kept praising him and insisting that they be on a line together. When the playoffs arrived Abby really made his presence felt, and it seems like he is going to continue to solidify his game, which is nothing but good news for us, assuming he can be consistent.

Guest DeGraa55

I like it and liked it last year as well. He has actually more speed than a typical power forward which allowshim to keep up with z or DAT which homer couldn't do. His downside is that he isn't as good as homer in front of the net....but imean come on who is.

Guest ForzaVerde

except you wouldn't see horton until december and then he's one good hit away from another long absense. Horton is a beast but his injuries/concussions are piling up.

You are right. But he would be better than Abby when healthy, right?

So after a couple intra-team scrimmages against mostly players with 0 NHL experience people are ready to call him Homer 2.0. This will end really badly if that's what you think he is.

His numbers last year weren't that good, considering he got significant 1st line minutes, especially in the playoffs.

If he plays on the top two lines again, it's a further indication that we need a "real" top 6 winger who can score.

I don't understand why people still have a problem with Abby on the first line even if he doesn't produce much. Someones got to pull the piano and someones got to play it. This year it appears as if he might be poised to do a little of both.

Because a great center like Datsyuk should be playing with a good winger, not an Abdelkader. Even Crosby couldn't make Abdelkader score 50 points.

Guest Crymson

I solemnly believe that Abdelkader has the talent to be a 20-goal scorer in the NHL. He exhibited that skill with his hat trick against Anaheim. I think he simply lacks a certain level of confidence.

I like it and liked it last year as well. He has actually more speed than a typical power forward which allowshim to keep up with z or DAT which homer couldn't do. His downside is that he isn't as good as homer in front of the net....but imean come on who is.

Homer was able to keep up with Datsyuk and Zetterberg until his last two seasons. He was slow but managed to stay in position nevertheless.

I like Abby, but we might end up using him as a C to start the season with Helm hurt if we get rid of Emmerton. In that case, who knows. I think we would want a high energy/agitator type, defensively responsible to play against opponents' top lines. While that's not necessarily how I'd describe Alfie, I would still consider him. Heck, maybe it's Drew Miller... I just think Cleary would be a mistake on the first line.

I think it really just comes down to whatever Pav and Z want, and they seem to like Abby.

I like Abby, but we might end up using him as a C to start the season with Helm hurt if we get rid of Emmerton. In that case, who knows. I think we would want a high energy/agitator type, defensively responsible to play against opponents' top lines. While that's not necessarily how I'd describe Alfie, I would still consider him. Heck, maybe it's Drew Miller... I just think Cleary would be a mistake on the first line.

I think it really just comes down to whatever Pav and Z want, and they seem to like Abby.

There might be an chance of Emmerton being sent down & having to use Abby at center, but I think that chance is pretty slim. If it does happen though, I would much rather see a healthy Bert on a line with Hank & Pavs over Cleary. At least Bert can go into a corner to retrieve a puck without falling down. I still think that Abby ends up playing the bulk of the season on the top line.

Edit: I think there's a better chance that Franzen gets moved down to the 3rd at some point if he's not producing & someone else (I hope Nyquist or Tatar over Cleary) get an extended look on the 2nd w/ Weiss & Alfie.

Edited by ogreslayer

As I've said many times, I'm quite happy with Abs playing on the top line. His skating, forechecking, hitting, and driving to the net created a lot of opportunities for Z and Pav last year that weren't always rewarded on the score sheet. Case in point last night, he's screening the goalie on Almquist's goal, but doesn't get a point.

Sure, he doesn't have Bertuzzi's hands, but if he did he'd be a premier NHL power forward.