• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,210 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

So after a couple intra-team scrimmages against mostly players with 0 NHL experience people are ready to call him Homer 2.0. This will end really badly if that's what you think he is. 

END ME BABY

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints, possibility never. And what wine is so sparkling, what so fragrant, what so intoxicating, as possibility!" - Kierkegaard

#22 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

I like Abby, but we might end up using him as a C to start the season with Helm hurt if we get rid of Emmerton. In that case, who knows. I think we would want a high energy/agitator type, defensively responsible to play against opponents' top lines. While that's not necessarily how I'd describe Alfie, I would still consider him. Heck, maybe it's Drew Miller... I just think Cleary would be a mistake on the first line.

I think it really just comes down to whatever Pav and Z want, and they seem to like Abby.

#23 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

I like Abby, but we might end up using him as a C to start the season with Helm hurt if we get rid of Emmerton. In that case, who knows. I think we would want a high energy/agitator type, defensively responsible to play against opponents' top lines. While that's not necessarily how I'd describe Alfie, I would still consider him. Heck, maybe it's Drew Miller... I just think Cleary would be a mistake on the first line.

I think it really just comes down to whatever Pav and Z want, and they seem to like Abby.

There might be an chance of Emmerton being sent down & having to use Abby at center, but I think that chance is pretty slim.  If it does happen though, I would much rather see a healthy Bert on a line with Hank & Pavs over Cleary.  At least Bert can go into a corner to retrieve a puck without falling down.  I still think that Abby ends up playing the bulk of the season on the top line.

Edit: I think there's a better chance that Franzen gets moved down to the 3rd at some point if he's not producing & someone else (I hope Nyquist or Tatar over Cleary) get an extended look on the 2nd w/ Weiss & Alfie.

Edited by ogreslayer, 17 September 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#24 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

As I've said many times, I'm quite happy with Abs playing on the top line.  His skating, forechecking, hitting, and driving to the net created a lot of opportunities for Z and Pav last year that weren't always rewarded on the score sheet.  Case in point last night, he's screening the goalie on Almquist's goal, but doesn't get a point.

Sure, he doesn't have Bertuzzi's hands, but if he did he'd be a premier NHL power forward.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#25 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

from what i watched last night he was playing with z and dats. i think he is a better option on that line than cleary. he can at least skate as fast as them

#26 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,210 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

I really like our first line.

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints, possibility never. And what wine is so sparkling, what so fragrant, what so intoxicating, as possibility!" - Kierkegaard