• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Preseason Game #1: First Impressions

Rate this topic

I agree with most of your assessments Crymson. I mostly focused on the young guys, and you're right, Mantha and Jarnkrok were overwhelmed while Ferraro and Almquist did well for themselves. Mrazek looked good, and actually I thought he faced tougher shots than did Howard (except on Sutter's goal).

In response to other posters: the homer announcers didn't call Tatar's goal an interference. It was a clean goal and they recognized it as such. Also, Smith did not "try to go with Crosby", Crosby upended Smith on a non-penalty play and Smith tried to get in Cindy's face about it. Crosby dusted him off the way any veteran superstar would if an unknown kid tried to challenge you on a legal play.

I agree with most of your assessments Crymson. I mostly focused on the young guys, and you're right, Mantha and Jarnkrok were overwhelmed while Ferraro and Almquist did well for themselves. Mrazek looked good, and actually I thought he faced tougher shots than did Howard (except on Sutter's goal).

In response to other posters: the homer announcers didn't call Tatar's goal an interference. It was a clean goal and they recognized it as such. Also, Smith did not "try to go with Crosby", Crosby upended Smith on a non-penalty play and Smith tried to get in Cindy's face about it. Crosby dusted him off the way any veteran superstar would if an unknown kid tried to challenge you on a legal play.

Thanks for the clarification. Twitter was telling another story; I believe it was Malik that said that Smitty challenged him, but it may have been Ken Kal.

Thanks for the clarification. Twitter was telling another story; I believe it was Malik that said that Smitty challenged him, but it may have been Ken Kal.

I can see why people would say it, Smith did jaw at him a bit about it. However, the best evidence I have to support the fact that Smith didn't try too hard, is the fact that that Deryk Engelland didn't beat the hell out of Brendan Smith last night.

I think he's totally lacking in confidence at the NHL level. He was very highly touted as a prospect, so there's a lot of pressure on him to succeed. His best stretch so far was his stint in 2012; he wasn't really expected to excel at that time, as he was only a call-up, and there was the extra comfort blanket of having Lidstrom around. Now eyes and pressure are on him and he needs to be good, and I think that weighs on him substantially.

I think keeping smith in the AHL for the 11-12 season is shaping up to be a major blunder. A full season of development, with lids as a partner, would have been excellent for smiths development.

I think keeping smith in the AHL for the 11-12 season is shaping up to be a major blunder. A full season of development, with lids as a partner, would have been excellent for smiths development.

I disagree. There's always the tendency to believe that putting player x with Lidstrom, or Datsyuk, or whomever is the recipe for success and it's simply not true. Kronwall, Ericsson, and Kindl all developed, in spite of never pairing with Lidstrom, because they were brought along slowly, paired appropriately, and eased into responsibilities over time. Bringing Smith up before he was ready, and placing him on a top pair with Lidstrom, would have only made Lidstrom less effective and our team defense worse overall. Playing s***ty (or not ready) players with superstars may make that player look better, but it also limits the effectiveness of the star. You don't see Boston putting third pair guys up with Chara, or Nashville doing it with Weber.

Lots of quality defensemen have developed in the NHL without being spoon fed by Nick Lidstrom. Brendan Smith needs to learn to make good decisions with the puck, and be responsible for his man in his own end. I think he's MORE likely to learn that now than he would be if he had Nick covering on all his f*ck ups.

Edited by kipwinger

Crosby sucks still.

He's definitely whiny, there's no denying that. But I didn't see anything wrong with how he acted in the altercation with Smith. If I were a superstar, and some kid got in my face after a legal play, I'd probably do the same. And as previously mentioned in another post, the result turned out a lot better for Smith than it would have if Crosby took it seriously and Engelland had to get involved. Yikes!

I disagree. There's always the tendency to believe that putting player x with Lidstrom, or Datsyuk, or whomever is the recipe for success and it's simply not true. Kronwall, Ericsson, and Kindl all developed, in spite of never pairing with Lidstrom, because they were brought along slowly, paired appropriately, and eased into responsibilities over time. Bringing Smith up before he was ready, and placing him on a top pair with Lidstrom, would have only made Lidstrom less effective and our team defense worse overall. Playing s***ty (or not ready) players with superstars may make that player look better, but it also limits the effectiveness of the star. You don't see Boston putting third pair guys up with Chara, or Nashville doing it with Weber.

Lots of quality defensemen have developed in the NHL without being spoon fed by Nick Lidstrom. Brendan Smith needs to learn to make good decisions with the puck, and be responsible for his man in his own end. I think he's MORE likely to learn that now than he would be if he had Nick covering on all his f*ck ups.

All valid points. The way I see it, pairing smith with lids would be far different from pairing some scrub with chara. At the time,Smith was our most promising defensive prospect, and babs frequently lamented the fact that he was still in the AHL. Since smith is an offensive defenseman, playing with lids as a partner would have afforded him the ability to take risks, and make mistakes while minimizing harm to the team. This would allow smith to learn from his mistakes while receiving pointers from a legend.

All valid points. The way I see it, pairing smith with lids would be far different from pairing some scrub with chara. At the time,Smith was our most promising defensive prospect, and babs frequently lamented the fact that he was still in the AHL. Since smith is an offensive defenseman, playing with lids as a partner would have afforded him the ability to take risks, and make mistakes while minimizing harm to the team. This would allow smith to learn from his mistakes while receiving pointers from a legend.

Can't we just get lids back now to play with smith?

Smith needs to drop the gloves.

esteef

He had every opportunity last night, and he got shoved off by Crosby without so much as an argument. Smith is a moderately tough dude, but even so he's no kind of tough guy. And thank god for that. I'd hate to be without Smith for several weeks.

He had every opportunity last night, and he got shoved off by Crosby without so much as an argument. Smith is a moderately tough dude, but even so he's no kind of tough guy. And thank god for that. I'd hate to be without Smith for several weeks.

Unless he starts improving, it would actually probably currently improve us if Smith missed a few weeks, Bring up Ouellet, Sproul or Almquist