• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

Calle actually got 9 games with the Griffs at the end of last season.  On the Almquist front, it's just too bad that we can somehow transplant his brain into Smith's body.  

Dr. Rahmani could pull it off :P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#22 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

Sammy has no excuse to be rusty. Sitting out the last part of the season for a pectoral issue, he better have been busting you-know-what to get in game shape. I've got a bad feeling (not based just on one preseason game) that we're going to have the same problems as last year with some line combinations and players. I hope Babcock isn't too loyal to Sammy and Cleary if they can't pull their own weight.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#23 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

I didn't get to listen to nor watch the game but it sounds like a bit of rust for some like Clears and Sammy. Luckily, that's what the preseason is for. Glad Howie played great!

If you're thinking the rust is going to wear off on Cleary and Sammy, you will get a huge wake up call..

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#24 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Sammy has no excuse to be rusty. Sitting out the last part of the season for a pectoral issue, he better have been busting you-know-what to get in game shape. I've got a bad feeling (not based just on one preseason game) that we're going to have the same problems as last year with some line combinations and players. I hope Babcock isn't too loyal to Sammy and Cleary if they can't pull their own weight.

I agree. I am actually hoping very hard that Bert brings the Weiss and Alfie line some chemistry and "demotes" Franzen. If that happens, most likely Cleary will be placed on the 3rd line (if Abby does well on the top line) and Sammy dropped to the 4th line. Like this:

Z-D-A

Bert-Weiss-Alf

Cleary-Helm?-Franzen

Nyquist/Tatar-Andersson-Sammy

Tootoo, Miller

Nyquist/Tatar have very good chances to move up into the top six when injuries inevitably occur. I DO NOT want to see Cleary on the top line and only want Franzen there as a last ditch effort (one minute left, down by a goal, goalie pulled). If Franzen is on the top line we move from a 3 line team to a 1.5 line team very quickly.

Emmerton plays in GR/gets traded, Eaves is dropped, and someone not dressed or on the 4th line is moved. I would actually prefer Eaves to stay as one of the undressed players (righty, good one-timer, great PK) but Miller is too similar of a player and is actually better on PK. And with the extension Holland has made his choice. I still like Tootoo as an option against teams playing heavy with similar players (Philly, Chicago, Boston) even though little to no offense will come from him, scoring chances and stars on the other team keeping their eyes on him and off the puck might give the Wings a slight edge. Plus, in the East, there is more "running around" by the pesky players and a "sheriff" is needed on every team. The Wings will see more teams built in the traditonally Burkian™ style in the East and it will be more physical. Tootoo is good to have around.

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Shoot-outs & Franzen

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#25 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

Babcock may think well of Cleary, but this has not often been the case with Samuelsson. He has played the point on the power play, sure, but that's purely by dint of being a right-handed shot, and he spent most of his initial stretch with the team playing on the third line. He won't get preferential treatment. That said, it's a damned shame that he was used in the playoffs at all, because that injury allowed him to stay with the organization.

On the Tatar goal did the announcer say "good interference"? And to think I wanted to try to watch this game, it would have been muted immediately if I had found it.

I don't think he meant interference in the penalty sense.

#26 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

I agree with most of your assessments Crymson.  I mostly focused on the young guys, and you're right, Mantha and Jarnkrok were overwhelmed while Ferraro and Almquist did well for themselves.  Mrazek looked good, and actually I thought he faced tougher shots than did Howard (except on Sutter's goal).

In response to other posters: the homer announcers didn't call Tatar's goal an interference.  It was a clean goal and they recognized it as such.  Also, Smith did not "try to go with Crosby", Crosby upended Smith on a non-penalty play and Smith tried to get in Cindy's face about it.  Crosby dusted him off the way any veteran superstar would if an unknown kid tried to challenge you on a legal play. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#27 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

I agree with most of your assessments Crymson.  I mostly focused on the young guys, and you're right, Mantha and Jarnkrok were overwhelmed while Ferraro and Almquist did well for themselves.  Mrazek looked good, and actually I thought he faced tougher shots than did Howard (except on Sutter's goal).

In response to other posters: the homer announcers didn't call Tatar's goal an interference.  It was a clean goal and they recognized it as such.  Also, Smith did not "try to go with Crosby", Crosby upended Smith on a non-penalty play and Smith tried to get in Cindy's face about it.  Crosby dusted him off the way any veteran superstar would if an unknown kid tried to challenge you on a legal play. 

Thanks for the clarification. Twitter was telling another story; I believe it was Malik that said that Smitty challenged him, but it may have been Ken Kal.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#28 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Also, Smith did not "try to go with Crosby", Crosby upended Smith on a non-penalty play and Smith tried to get in Cindy's face about it.  Crosby dusted him off the way any veteran superstar would if an unknown kid tried to challenge you on a legal play. 

Crosby sucks still.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#29 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Twitter was telling another story; I believe it was Malik that said that Smitty challenged him, but it may have been Ken Kal.

I can see why people would say it, Smith did jaw at him a bit about it.  However, the best evidence I have to support the fact that Smith didn't try too hard, is the fact that that Deryk Engelland didn't beat the hell out of Brendan Smith last night. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#30 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

I think he's totally lacking in confidence at the NHL level. He was very highly touted as a prospect, so there's a lot of pressure on him to succeed. His best stretch so far was his stint in 2012; he wasn't really expected to excel at that time, as he was only a call-up, and there was the extra comfort blanket of having Lidstrom around. Now eyes and pressure are on him and he needs to be good, and I think that weighs on him substantially.

I think keeping smith in the AHL for the 11-12 season is shaping up to be a major blunder. A full season of development, with lids as a partner, would have been excellent for smiths development.

#31 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

I think keeping smith in the AHL for the 11-12 season is shaping up to be a major blunder. A full season of development, with lids as a partner, would have been excellent for smiths development.

I disagree.  There's always the tendency to believe that putting player x with Lidstrom, or Datsyuk, or whomever is the recipe for success and it's simply not true.  Kronwall, Ericsson, and Kindl all developed, in spite of never pairing with Lidstrom, because they were brought along slowly, paired appropriately, and eased into responsibilities over time.  Bringing Smith up before he was ready, and placing him on a top pair with Lidstrom, would have only made Lidstrom less effective and our team defense worse overall.  Playing s***ty (or not ready) players with superstars may make that player look better, but it also limits the effectiveness of the star.  You don't see Boston putting third pair guys up with Chara, or Nashville doing it with Weber. 

Lots of quality defensemen have developed in the NHL without being spoon fed by Nick Lidstrom.  Brendan Smith needs to learn to make good decisions with the puck, and be responsible for his man in his own end.  I think he's MORE likely to learn that now than he would be if he had Nick covering on all his f*ck ups. 

Edited by kipwinger, 17 September 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#32 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

Crosby sucks still.

He's definitely whiny, there's no denying that.  But I didn't see anything wrong with how he acted in the altercation with Smith.  If I were a superstar, and some kid got in my face after a legal play, I'd probably do the same.  And as previously mentioned in another post, the result turned out a lot better for Smith than it would have if Crosby took it seriously and Engelland had to get involved.  Yikes!

#33 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

I disagree.  There's always the tendency to believe that putting player x with Lidstrom, or Datsyuk, or whomever is the recipe for success and it's simply not true.  Kronwall, Ericsson, and Kindl all developed, in spite of never pairing with Lidstrom, because they were brought along slowly, paired appropriately, and eased into responsibilities over time.  Bringing Smith up before he was ready, and placing him on a top pair with Lidstrom, would have only made Lidstrom less effective and our team defense worse overall.  Playing s***ty (or not ready) players with superstars may make that player look better, but it also limits the effectiveness of the star.  You don't see Boston putting third pair guys up with Chara, or Nashville doing it with Weber. 

Lots of quality defensemen have developed in the NHL without being spoon fed by Nick Lidstrom.  Brendan Smith needs to learn to make good decisions with the puck, and be responsible for his man in his own end.  I think he's MORE likely to learn that now than he would be if he had Nick covering on all his f*ck ups. 

All valid points. The way I see it, pairing smith with lids would be far different from pairing some scrub with chara. At the time,Smith was our most promising defensive prospect, and babs frequently lamented the fact that he was still in the AHL. Since smith is an offensive defenseman, playing with lids as a partner would have afforded him the ability to take risks, and make mistakes while minimizing harm to the team. This would allow smith to learn from his mistakes while receiving pointers from a legend.

#34 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

Smith needs to drop the gloves.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#35 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

All valid points. The way I see it, pairing smith with lids would be far different from pairing some scrub with chara. At the time,Smith was our most promising defensive prospect, and babs frequently lamented the fact that he was still in the AHL. Since smith is an offensive defenseman, playing with lids as a partner would have afforded him the ability to take risks, and make mistakes while minimizing harm to the team. This would allow smith to learn from his mistakes while receiving pointers from a legend.

Can't we just get lids back now to play with smith?

#36 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

Smith needs to drop the gloves.

esteef

He had every opportunity last night, and he got shoved off by Crosby without so much as an argument.  Smith is a moderately tough dude, but even so he's no kind of tough guy.  And thank god for that.  I'd hate to be without Smith for several weeks. 

#37 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:07 PM

He had every opportunity last night, and he got shoved off by Crosby without so much as an argument.  Smith is a moderately tough dude, but even so he's no kind of tough guy.  And thank god for that.  I'd hate to be without Smith for several weeks. 

Unless he starts improving, it would actually probably currently improve us if Smith missed a few weeks, Bring up Ouellet, Sproul or Almquist

#38 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,199 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:01 AM

Smith needs to poop.

esteef

Don't Toews me, bro!