• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Devils sign Brunner 2 yrs. $2.5 million AAV

Rate this topic

I guess, technically, anything greater than 1 is "multi", but I'm not sure I'd refer to a 2-year deal as a mult-year contract. I'd generally say a 2-year contract, a 3-year contract and then once you get to about 4 is when I'd start saying "multi". Maybe it's just me? Sort of think of it like one, couple, few and several

I guess, technically, anything greater than 1 is "multi", but I'm not sure I'd refer to a 2-year deal as a mult-year contract. I'd generally say a 2-year contract, a 3-year contract and then once you get to about 4 is when I'd start saying "multi". Maybe it's just me? Sort of think of it like one, couple, few and several

At the time, that was the only info available. The year and term hadn't come out yet.

I changed the thread title to reflect the details of the deal.

At the time, that was the only info available. The year and term hadn't come out yet.

I changed the thread title to reflect the details of the deal.

I wasn't referring to the thread title, was more thinking about the tweet....which is how the Devils described the deal.

Guest Crymson

So, after a long ordeal, he signed for exactly what the Wings offered him. Now he's had to move away from an organization he likes, one that is a perennial contender, to another he knows little of, is constantly on the edge of bankruptcy, and did not even make the playoffs last season.

Damien's head inflated enough in the offseason for his nose to seem properly proportional, and he paid for it.

So, after a long ordeal, he signed for exactly what the Wings offered him. Now he's had to move away from an organization he likes, one that is a perennial contender, to another he knows little of, is constantly on the edge of bankruptcy, and did not even make the playoffs last season.

Damien's head inflated enough in the offseason for his nose to seem properly proportional, and he paid for it.

We don't know what the Wings actually offered him. And you best believe he would of signed with the Wings over the Devils if Holland would of called him up a week ago and gave him the same offer. 2.5 million is a discount considering how he actually performed last season, and is a HUGE discount considering his potential. The Wings missed the boat on this one.

It makes no sense really. Brunner has a much higher ceiling than Weiss, and they gave him 5 milllion a season. What a joke. I'll bet you $20 Brunner gets more points than Weiss this season.

Edited by TheOwl

Guest ForzaVerde

Im with you. I say good riddance. And for what it's worth, he'd probably score more on our third line then on the Devils' 2nd line.

We don't know what the Wings actually offered him. And you best believe he would of signed with the Wings over the Devils if Holland would of called him up a week ago and gave him the same offer. 2.5 million is a discount considering how he actually performed last season, and is a HUGE discount considering his potential. The Wings missed the boat on this one.

It makes no sense really. Brunner has a much higher ceiling than Weiss, and they gave him 5 milllion a season. What a joke. I'll bet you $20 Brunner gets more points than Weiss this season.

I will take that bet. No way Brunner hits 60 points

LOL, so let me get this straight

Brunner turns the Wings down hours before the Free Agent period begins, at least two reported offerings.

The Wings then go ahead and fill out their roster, are more active in the FA market than they have been in years.

The Wings replace Fil with Weiss, you know center for center, then get Alfie (btw a guy that had nearly the same stats as Brunner, only able to show a track record of success).

All the while Brunner is holding out for a multi year deal and top 6 minutes.

By the time he decides to take an offer that is Identical to the one that is reported he turned down HOURS before FA period began, the Wings are over the cap and roster limit, yet you want Holland to offer him that deal.

Brunner is the reason Brunner is not on this team, well maybe his agent, either way the person responsible is not Ken Holland.

I will also take that $20 bet, so would Holland, most of the NHL, and probably half of this board.

Weiss put up better numbers than Brunner all while being the Panthers only legit threat.

Sure Brunner put up similar points to Weiss's NHL numbers but he did in the Swiss league, not exactly known for Defense and goaltending.

But like I said Weiss was a center and brought in to replace Fil not Brunner, so when we look at Alfie's numbers 10g and 16a, the compare nicely to Brunner's 12g and 14a.

Alfie is a one year no risk deal, Brunner wanted a multi year high risk deal (think Brunnstrum, Leino).

Brunner was great to start the season, then like a typical rookie lost momentum when the league figured him out.

He played barely more than one half of one season.

If he wanted to be a Wing he had ample opportunities, he wanted ice time and multi years.

Brunner and his agent are the reason he is not a Wing.

But in an offseason where KH was more active than he has been in a long time, some people just need a reason to bash him.

I would have loved to sign him for that. He is going to be a 25 Goal scorer

So wouldn't Ken Holland, however Brunner said "No Nose For You!"

in my best soup nazi voice!

Guest Crymson

Brunner @ 2.5 million has a goal and three assists in three games.

Meanwhile we have over 10 million for two players injured.

Can you tell me details of the future?

Brunner has a much higher ceiling than Weiss based on what exactly? Simply because he's more of an unknown....making it easy to make wild speculations?

Guest Playmaker

I have no ill will towards Brunner. I think he did exactly as he was expected to do. He's a much "older" rookie than is typical, and I can understand if he didn't want say a two way contract or whatever. His future earnings potential is based on playing time and if he's sent down of scratched in favor of Danny Cleary or Samuelsson, which isn't an unrealistic thing to expect, I can see why he didn't want to commit to the Wings without some kind of assurance that wouldn't happen. I know every one here thinks that the Wings are the only organization to play for, but there are other decent organizations out there and if he gets more playing time and more points it's better for him personally in the long run.

So he'll have an amazing start, falter for the next 30 games, be too tired to skate and then be decent in the playoffs?

But that's okay for Danny Cleary?

Yes. Cleary can be good, then ok, then out of the lineup, then come on strong for the playoffs. This works for Cleary but not Brunner, because Cleary is on a team that will make the playoffs.

I have no ill will towards Brunner. I think he did exactly as he was expected to do. He's a much "older" rookie than is typical, and I can understand if he didn't want say a two way contract or whatever. His future earnings potential is based on playing time and if he's sent down of scratched in favor of Danny Cleary or Samuelsson, which isn't an unrealistic thing to expect, I can see why he didn't want to commit to the Wings without some kind of assurance that wouldn't happen. I know every one here thinks that the Wings are the only organization to play for, but there are other decent organizations out there and if he gets more playing time and more points it's better for him personally in the long run.

When did I say that? Also cleary signed for almost a million less for one year. Just cause I took him in my fantasy draft doesn't mean I think he should be on the team lol

Guest Playmaker

Yes. Cleary can be good, then ok, then out of the lineup, then come on strong for the playoffs. This works for Cleary but not Brunner, because Cleary is on a team that will make the playoffs.

If you'll recall, the Wings barely made the playoffs, in large part because of players like Cleary who didn't do a whole lot in the regular season.. Nothing is ever a sure thing, for any team. Nearly all European players struggle with the travel and long season in the NHL in the beginning.

Guest ForzaVerde

If you'll recall, the Wings barely made the playoffs, in large part because of players like Cleary who didn't do a whole lot in the regular season.. Nothing is ever a sure thing, for any team. Nearly all European players struggle with the travel and long season in the NHL in the beginning.

True. The adjustment isnt easy.