• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Devils sign Brunner 2 yrs. $2.5 million AAV

Rate this topic

Damien Brunner is headed to New Jersey but the former Detroit Red Wings' forward is still in search of an NHL contract.

After turning down contract offers of two and three years from the Red Wings during the summer, Brunner came up empty-handed in talks with other NHL clubs so he's going to New Jersey on a pro tryout with the Devils, according to a story by NJ.com.

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello told NJ.com's Rich Chere that the 27-year-old Brunner would be in New Jersey's camp by Tuesday.

Last season, his first in the NHL following five years with EV Zug of the Swiss Elite League, Brunner had 12 goals and 14 assists in 44 games for the Red Wings. But his production fell off after the first 19 games, when he scored 10 goals.

"He's a natural scorer. He's scored throughout his whole career. He's a very skillful player. We'll have time over the next week and a half to see where everything is at. We'll certainly get him into exhibition games and we'll proceed after that. There are no promises, no guarantees. It's a very up-front situation."

"We had inquired about him early in the year," Lamoriello told Chere. "We certainly have seen him in Detroit. We know a little bit about him from the Swiss League. We thought through the summer he would be signing. We said if it did not work out we'd be very interested in taking him to camp. When it looked like he hadn't gotten a contract we communicated, kept our word and he's here.

In the playoffs, he led the Red Wings with five goals in 14 games while finishing tied for third with nine points.

The Devils have almost $4 million available under the salary cap after forward Ilya Kovalchuk's sudden retirement, which started the speculation that Brunner would end up in New Jersey.

-- Download the Detroit Red Wings on MLive app for iPhone and Android

damien-thorn.jpg

Edited by Hockeytown0001

I think this is actually a really good fit for both parties. NJ needs scoring and because they're already full of solid, two way players, Brunner's defensive lapses won't be the end of the world (while he continues to learn).

I feel bad for Brunner. I think he is a talented player, but his agent thinks his client is worth the world and now he's staying in the NHL by playing on a tryout contract. I really hope he returns to Detroit, I think he could have really worked out well in the long run for us and would have fit in nicely with all of the other young guns we have coming up through the system.

I would much rather have Nyquist Tatar and Brunner then cleary Alfie and Sammy...

I'd take alfie over all of those players every day of the week.

I am huge Nyquist and tatar fan but saying you would take three unproven players over a bubble hall of famer? Your hockey team would be in dire straights.

I'll give you the sammy jab, but devaluing Alfie is absurd.

He will easily improve their atrocious offense, Brunner doesn't need to be a good two way player if he can score goals - which he obviously can - this will be a great signing for the NewJerseyDevils.

I'd much rather have Brunner back who could be long term solution instead of 1 year from Alfredsson

Here's a video Malik tweeted of Brunner talking with the media after his first practice. It makes me really sad to watch. I don't like seeing him in another teams colors... He does not seem as giddy and lively as he was last year, either...

Here's a video Malik tweeted of Brunner talking with the media after his first practice. It makes me really sad to watch. I don't like seeing him in another teams colors... He does not seem as giddy and lively as he was last year, either...

Can someone add Cinderella's "Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone" as a soundtrack to this video?

He made a Huge mistake by not resigning him. He is a legitimate top 6 forward, and as I've said multiple times.

I will bet ANYONE $10 he scores 30+ goals this year. No question. The Wings screwed up big time.

Fixed that first part for you. He turned down at least 2 offers from the Wings, from what I've seen, thinking he was going to get big money/ice time somewhere else. Not like Kenny could force him to stay here right?

Tatar > Brunner. Weiss > Filppula. Cleary = Cleary. Alfie is icing on the cake.

Not really sure how we're worse off for this? Brunner is a good player, but I think we'll be just fine without spending big money for him.

I am curious to see whether NJ will use him on the PP point, or put him on the side boards like he should have been in Detroit. Utilized correctly I think he'll be MUCH more effective on the PP this season.

I unfollowed him on twitter. I only follow Wings players.

And because I'm a *****.

You don't want to play for the best team in the history of the whole world (this is a proven fact, not opinion)? Fine. Enjoy your top 6 spot on a bottom feeder!

That's what i was thinking too. He was pretty pumped last year when he landed in Detroit. This year he seems kinda mehh.. We'll see.

It only took him one practice to realize what he's missing.

I unfollowed him on twitter. I only follow Wings players.

And because I'm a *****.

You don't want to play for the best team in the history of the whole world (this is a proven fact, not opinion)? Fine. Enjoy your top 6 spot on a bottom feeder!

Wow, you showed him.

Anyway, I hope the Red Wings get a trade (Samuelsson, et. al.) done in time to bring him back. PTO's don't lock him into the team, right? He'll have to negotiate another contract if he wants to play in a regular season game, yeah?

Edited by _SP_

Tatar > Brunner. Weiss > Filppula. Cleary = Cleary. Alfie is icing on the cake.

This all day.

I like Brunner. I was upset when he walked. But, honestly, I'd rather have Tatar. Brunner may be a stud in Europeland, and he was good for us, but Tatar's the reigning playoff MVP at the AHL level, and he's insanely driven right now, with a big ol' chip on his shoulder.

And, yeah, Weiss's hard-nosed two-way play over Flip's dolphiny one-way two-way play.

I just have to chuckle at these quotes from Patrik Elias talking about how great Brunner looks in practice and how he's the second coming of Petr Sykora. Everybody loves Brunner until he gives the puck to the other team for an odd-man rush. I heard Darko Milicic use to shoot the lights out in practice for the Pistons, too.

I'm kidding, obviously. Brunner is talented and I wish him well playing for the Devils and their dozen horrible mid-level contracts they've handed out in lieu of one gigantic one to Ilya Kovalchuk.

I just have to chuckle at these quotes from Patrik Elias talking about how great Brunner looks in practice and how he's the second coming of Petr Sykora. Everybody loves Brunner until he gives the puck to the other team for an odd-man rush. I heard Darko Milicic use to shoot the lights out in practice for the Pistons, too.

I'm kidding, obviously. Brunner is talented and I wish him well playing for the Devils and their dozen horrible mid-level contracts they've handed out in lieu of one gigantic one to Ilya Kovalchuk.

I feel bad for the 300 fans that had to watch their fall from greatness