• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#41 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

We don't know Tatar and Nyquist can deliver. We hope and expect they can. Look, I'll miss Brunner as much as anyone. He has skill and the desire to improve. But Tatar is more well rounded than Brunner and equally driven. While it'd be nice to have two young scoring wingers, it's just not in the cards.

Point is, Alfredsson is quality insurance in case Tatar doesn't develop. Consider Tatar to be Brunner 2.0 and Alfredsson to be icing on the cake.

Tatar is the key to the season, I think. If he explodes we will do fine. If not, our offense hasn't improved much over last year.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#42 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

We don't know Tatar and Nyquist can deliver. We hope and expect they can. Look, I'll miss Brunner as much as anyone. He has skill and the desire to improve. But Tatar is more well rounded than Brunner and equally driven. While it'd be nice to have two young scoring wingers, it's just not in the cards.

Point is, Alfredsson is quality insurance in case Tatar doesn't develop. Consider Tatar to be Brunner 2.0 and Alfredsson to be icing on the cake.

Tatar is the key to the season, I think. If he explodes we will do fine. If not, our offense hasn't improved much over last year.

Personally, I think if a 22 year old with 25 games of experience who will be fighting for time in the bottom six is the key to the season, it's going to be a long season for the Wings.  In my own opinion, it's the continued development of the Wings defense & production from a much improved 2nd line that are the keys. 

#43 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

Personally, I think if a 22 year old with 25 games of experience who will be fighting for time in the bottom six is the key to the season, it's going to be a long season for the Wings.  In my own opinion, it's the continued development of the Wings defense & production from a much improved 2nd line that are the keys. 

agreed. also, if tatar doesn't explode, our offense is still improved assumming weiss and alfie contribute.

D and Z being on the same line all year could be huge as well imo.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#44 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Tatar is not being relied on to explode.

If he does, it's a major bonus.

Edited by T.Low, 19 September 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#45 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

I never said he couldn't play. But Tatar or Nyquist can gibe you the production he does. And at some point a few young guys deserve to be given an opportunity. We keep trotting out the same old team but expect better results as players decline. Its great.

Because given hollands track record his next two signings will be howe and yzerman.

Im in agreement that Holland's past moves with Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, and Samuelsson were poor decisions. But Modano is an incomplete at worst, as he got freakishly hurt off the bat. And Alfredsson is a one year deal, so what's the harm in that?

#46 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

wonder how the tazdamien devil is doing... :P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#47 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Im in agreement that Holland's past moves with Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, and Samuelsson were poor decisions. But Modano is an incomplete at worst, as he got freakishly hurt off the bat. And Alfredsson is a one year deal, so what's the harm in that?

Holmstrom signing was never a mistake

#48 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

I'd rather have him than Cleary, Eaves/Miller and Samuelsson combined.  Instead of spending cap space money on those useless plugs, we could have a good right handed shooter with some level of upside.  

He did act greedy, but the Wings should have realized he adds more to the team than those guys.   

I am not sure I get your point, are you saying Holland should have given Brunner a contract that NO ONE else would have or wants to, because he is better than those 4 combined?

Holland offered Brunner longer term and more $$ than anyone else(that has been report/rumored), he turned it down.

Is what you are saying is the Wings' should have upped their offer to get Brunner? Even though he was asking for apparently way more than he deserved?

Should they have given him 4 years $14m and promised him a top 6 role?

What I gather from your post is that it is Holland's fault they do not have Brunner, even though he does not kill penalties like Eaves and Miller, and is not willing to play on the 3rd or 4th line like Cleary, Eaves, Miller, and Sammy.

My take, Brunner (more so his agent) put him in this spot, he should have taken the 3 years at 2.5 (rumored offering) and worked is way into the top 6. He had a great start to a shortened year, and played well in the post season, he should have continued to build on that. Instead he though he found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, turned out to be a bowl of shiny turds!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#49 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

He is taking a roster spot in the top 6 which I feel Nyquist earned after last year. And Tatar deserves a spot on the third line. But right now we got three forwards to many? 2 while helm is hurt?

Also Holland could of tried a year deal of 3.5m on Brunner?

Instead he just signs players to just sign players. Miller, Sammy(last year)and Alfie really didnt make a whole lot of sense....now cola made sense cause of the question marks with our defense but why did he give him a two year deal?

Holland is stuck in his loyal mindset that signing old declining players year after year will improve this team.....it doesn't...

#50 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

Eh, excuse me?

Holmstrom signing was never a mistake

Thank you!

#51 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

@RedWingsFeed: PHOTO: New York Islanders v New Jersey Devils Getty Images: NEWARK, NJ - SEPTEMBER 19: Damien... http://t.co/Uxc2Anb6u4 #NHL #RedWings

Edit: did he get a contract?

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 19 September 2013 - 08:23 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#52 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

@RedWingsFeed: PHOTO: New York Islanders v New Jersey Devils Getty Images: NEWARK, NJ - SEPTEMBER 19: Damien... http://t.co/Uxc2Anb6u4 #NHL #RedWings

Edit: did he get a contract?

PTO with the tasdamien devils

12 D. Brunner R 0 0 0 -2 0 1 0 0 0 0 - 9:30 20:49

#53 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

1 shot on goal and a -2 in his first game

not sure that will get him his desired contract

My wish: A healthy roster

#54 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

1236963_10151843810799583_1799581082_n.j

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#55 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

@RedWingsFeed: Damien Brunner Hoping to Stick With the Devils: Put yourself in Damien... http://t.co/UAQWnw10hV via @TheHockeyWriter #NHL #RedWings

ORLY? Lamoriello "discovered" this "gem?"

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#56 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

@RedWingsFeed: Damien Brunner Hoping to Stick With the Devils: Put yourself in Damien... http://t.co/UAQWnw10hV via @TheHockeyWriter #NHL #RedWings

ORLY? Lamoriello "discovered" this "gem?"

Ya, who else would have discovered him? Babcock? Holland? Andersson? get real, LOU YOU DA MAN!!! ANOTHER HIDDEN GEM!!!

#57 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

1. That's fine.  We'll keep the team that signed an over 40 Modano and Alfredsson.  You're more than welcome to cheer for someone else.

2.  Actually, an idiot would say "And only an idiot would say 'Alfie gives us more leadership'," because Alfie does give us more leadership.  He was the captain in Ottawa for like 13 seasons.  It is a true statement.  Whether the Wings needed more leadership or not, he provides more.  There's nothing idiotic about truth.

3.  Just because people don't think the way you do does not mean they are not thinking.

Captained Team Sweden as well in 2012. True story

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#58 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

1236963_10151843810799583_1799581082_n.j

You look like crap in that sweater.  Red and white is your colors :(.

Edited by Hockeymom1960, 21 September 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#59 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

You look like crap in that sweater.  Red and white is your colors :(.

Sorry to be "that guy" but that sweater has both those colors. You're still right though

#60 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

Sorry to be "that guy" but that sweater has both those colors. You're still right though

We all thought it, but you had to go and be THAT GUY :P

I hate to be "that other guy" but he also doesn't look crap at all... kind of suits it

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life