• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#101 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

I just hope I don't have to see him score.

I see what you did there.

#102 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

I guess, technically, anything greater than 1 is "multi", but I'm not sure I'd refer to a 2-year deal as a mult-year contract.  I'd generally say a 2-year contract, a 3-year contract and then once you get to about 4 is when I'd start saying "multi".  Maybe it's just me?  Sort of think of it like one, couple, few and several

#103 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,867 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

I guess, technically, anything greater than 1 is "multi", but I'm not sure I'd refer to a 2-year deal as a mult-year contract.  I'd generally say a 2-year contract, a 3-year contract and then once you get to about 4 is when I'd start saying "multi".  Maybe it's just me?  Sort of think of it like one, couple, few and several

At the time, that was the only info available.  The year and term hadn't come out yet.  

I changed the thread title to reflect the details of the deal. 

#104 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

At the time, that was the only info available.  The year and term hadn't come out yet.  

I changed the thread title to reflect the details of the deal. 

I wasn't referring to the thread title, was more thinking about the tweet....which is how the Devils described the deal.

#105 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

So, after a long ordeal, he signed for exactly what the Wings offered him. Now he's had to move away from an organization he likes, one that is a perennial contender, to another he knows little of, is constantly on the edge of bankruptcy, and did not even make the playoffs last season.

Damien's head inflated enough in the offseason for his nose to seem properly proportional, and he paid for it.

#106 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

So, after a long ordeal, he signed for exactly what the Wings offered him. Now he's had to move away from an organization he likes, one that is a perennial contender, to another he knows little of, is constantly on the edge of bankruptcy, and did not even make the playoffs last season.

Damien's head inflated enough in the offseason for his nose to seem properly proportional, and he paid for it.

We don't know what the Wings actually offered him. And you best believe he would of signed with the Wings over the Devils if Holland would of called him up a week ago and gave him the same offer. 2.5 million is a discount considering how he actually performed last season, and is a HUGE discount considering his potential. The Wings missed the boat on this one.

It makes no sense really. Brunner has a much higher ceiling than Weiss, and they gave him 5 milllion a season. What a joke. I'll bet you $20 Brunner gets more points than Weiss this season.

Edited by TheOwl, 25 September 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#107 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

Im with you. I say good riddance. And for what it's worth, he'd probably score more on our third line then on the Devils' 2nd line.

#108 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

We don't know what the Wings actually offered him. And you best believe he would of signed with the Wings over the Devils if Holland would of called him up a week ago and gave him the same offer. 2.5 million is a discount considering how he actually performed last season, and is a HUGE discount considering his potential. The Wings missed the boat on this one.

It makes no sense really. Brunner has a much higher ceiling than Weiss, and they gave him 5 milllion a season. What a joke. I'll bet you $20 Brunner gets more points than Weiss this season.

I will take that bet. No way Brunner hits 60 points

#109 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

LOL, so let me get this straight

Brunner turns the Wings down hours before the Free Agent period begins, at least two reported offerings.

The Wings then go ahead and fill out their roster, are more active in the FA market than they have been in years.

The Wings replace Fil with Weiss, you know center for center, then get Alfie (btw a guy that had nearly the same stats as Brunner, only able to show a track record of success).

All the while Brunner is holding out for a multi year deal and top 6 minutes.

By the time he decides to take an offer that is Identical to the one that is reported he turned down HOURS before FA period began, the Wings are over the cap and roster limit, yet you want Holland to offer him that deal.

Brunner is the reason Brunner is not on this team, well maybe his agent, either way the person responsible is not Ken Holland.

I will also take that $20 bet,  so would Holland, most of the NHL, and probably half of this board.

Weiss put up better numbers than Brunner all while being the Panthers only legit threat. 

Sure Brunner put up similar points to Weiss's NHL numbers but he did in the Swiss league, not exactly known for Defense and goaltending.

But like I said Weiss was a center and brought in to replace Fil not Brunner, so when we look at Alfie's numbers 10g and 16a, the compare nicely to Brunner's 12g and 14a.
Alfie is a one year no risk deal, Brunner wanted a multi year high risk deal (think Brunnstrum, Leino).

Brunner was great to start the season, then like a typical rookie lost momentum when the league figured him out.

He played barely more than one half of one season.

If he wanted to be a Wing he had ample opportunities, he wanted ice time and multi years.

Brunner and his agent are the reason he is not a Wing.

But in an offseason where KH was more active than he has been in a long time, some people just need a reason to bash him.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#110 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

I would have loved to sign him for that. He is going to be a 25 Goal scorer
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#111 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

I would have loved to sign him for that. He is going to be a 25 Goal scorer

So wouldn't Ken Holland, however Brunner said "No Nose For You!"

in my best soup nazi voice!

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#112 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

I want to see Brunner's nose get Kronwalled.

#113 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Blade Brunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:29 AM

Brunner @ 2.5 million has a goal and three assists in three games.

Meanwhile we have over 10 million for two players injured. 

Bring back No. 91

#114 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

Brunner @ 2.5 million has a goal and three assists in three games.

Meanwhile we have over 10 million for two players injured. 

Can you tell me details of the future?

#115 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:50 AM

Can you tell me details of the future?

Exactly. And preseason points matter why?

#116 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Blade Brunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

the future could easily be a rerun of last year

Bring back No. 91

#117 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

the future could easily be a rerun of last year

So he'll have an amazing start, falter for the next 30 games, be too tired to skate and then be decent in the playoffs?

#118 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

So he'll have an amazing start, falter for the next 30 games, be too tired to skate and then be decent in the playoffs?

Only instead of 48 games he will have to play 82!

#119 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Brunner has a much higher ceiling than Weiss based on what exactly?  Simply because he's more of an unknown....making it easy to make wild speculations?

#120 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

Brunner has a much higher ceiling than Weiss based on what exactly?  Simply because he's more of an unknown....making it easy to make wild speculations?

Ya. He's gonna hit 70 points a year.... Right