• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#121 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

I have no ill will towards Brunner.  I think he did exactly as he was expected to do.  He's a much "older" rookie than is typical, and I can understand if he didn't want say a two way contract or whatever.  His future earnings potential is based on playing time and if he's sent down of scratched in favor of Danny Cleary or Samuelsson, which isn't an unrealistic thing to expect, I can see why he didn't want to commit to the Wings without some kind of assurance that wouldn't happen.  I know every one here thinks that the Wings are the only organization to play for, but there are other decent organizations out there and if he gets more playing time and more points it's better for him personally in the long run.

So he'll have an amazing start, falter for the next 30 games, be too tired to skate and then be decent in the playoffs?

But that's okay for Danny Cleary?

#122 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,873 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

Yes.  Cleary can be good, then ok, then out of the lineup, then come on strong for the playoffs.  This works for Cleary but not Brunner, because Cleary is on a team that will make the playoffs.

#123 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

I have no ill will towards Brunner.  I think he did exactly as he was expected to do.  He's a much "older" rookie than is typical, and I can understand if he didn't want say a two way contract or whatever.  His future earnings potential is based on playing time and if he's sent down of scratched in favor of Danny Cleary or Samuelsson, which isn't an unrealistic thing to expect, I can see why he didn't want to commit to the Wings without some kind of assurance that wouldn't happen.  I know every one here thinks that the Wings are the only organization to play for, but there are other decent organizations out there and if he gets more playing time and more points it's better for him personally in the long run.

When did I say that? Also cleary signed for almost a million less for one year. Just cause I took him in my fantasy draft doesn't mean I think he should be on the team lol

#124 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

Yes.  Cleary can be good, then ok, then out of the lineup, then come on strong for the playoffs.  This works for Cleary but not Brunner, because Cleary is on a team that will make the playoffs.

If you'll recall, the Wings barely made the playoffs, in large part because of players like Cleary who didn't do a whole lot in the regular season..  Nothing is ever a sure thing, for any team.  Nearly all European players struggle with the travel and long season in the NHL in the beginning. 

#125 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

If you'll recall, the Wings barely made the playoffs, in large part because of players like Cleary who didn't do a whole lot in the regular season..  Nothing is ever a sure thing, for any team.  Nearly all European players struggle with the travel and long season in the NHL in the beginning. 

True. The adjustment isnt easy.

#126 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

Two goals tonight. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#127 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

Two goals tonight. 

Both goals were total garbage.  I watched some of the game too, he hasn't gotten any better at playing both ways.  Glad he's gone.

#128 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:34 AM

Two goals tonight. 

They were both lucky rebounds that came directly to him.

#129 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:25 AM

Hudler has 2 goals also. And Filapoola is out goaling Stamkos.

Edit: But Abby and Sammy are our leading goal scorers now, so it's ok.

Edited by T.Low, 05 October 2013 - 02:28 AM.

#130 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:37 AM

They were both lucky rebounds that came directly to him.

Like Zetterberg and Weiss then?

Seriously guys, so he didn't sign for us?  Just let it go.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#131 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

Like Zetterberg and Weiss then?

Seriously guys, so he didn't sign for us?  Just let it go.

Weiss's goal came because he drove the net. Zetterberg's came because he was in the correct location in the slot and got a shot through a bunch of traffic. Brunner's goals came because he was standing in a stationary position near the goal and had the puck come to him. I could have scored those goals.

#132 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

I heard he banged one in with his nose.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#133 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Weiss's goal came because he drove the net. Zetterberg's came because he was in the correct location in the slot and got a shot through a bunch of traffic. Brunner's goals came because he was standing in a stationary position near the goal and had the puck come to him. I could have scored those goals.

lol, seriously?  Brunner fought off the defenceman to maintain position on the first goal, and on the other was cool enough to hold onto the puck for the fraction of a second he needed to elevate the puck over the goalie.

If scoring goals was as easy as hanging around the crease and poking rebounds home, Phil Esposito wouldn't be the only person to do it 70 times a season.  And when Tatar finally gets his chance and starts scoring these kinds of goals on a regular basis (as he did in GR) I look forward to you calling them all lucky goals that you could have scored.

Edited by Nev, 05 October 2013 - 03:45 PM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#134 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

It's the first game of the season.  Of course Brunner is pumped up and wants to impress his new teammates, coach and fans.  Let's see how many goals he has after the 41-game mark.  He's a good player but he moved on and the Wings are really no worse of a team without him.

#135 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

lol, seriously?  Brunner fought off the defenceman to maintain position on the first goal, and on the other was cool enough to hold onto the puck for the fraction of a second he needed to elevate the puck over the goalie.

If scoring goals was as easy as hanging around the crease and poking rebounds home, Phil Esposito wouldn't be the only person to do it 70 times a season.  And when Tatar finally gets his chance and starts scoring these kinds of goals on a regular basis (as he did in GR) I luck forward to you calling them all lucky goals that you could have scored.

Agreed. Definitely not garbage. They were exactly the goals Crosby scores all the time

They were also a perfect example of why he should've been down low on our PowerPlay instead of up high.

He definitely has a nose for the puck, no pun intended. And yes Tatar and Nyquist would have scored those goals. Abby, maybe not the first one and probably would have positioned himself in traffic instead of back door in an open shooting lane on the second.

I guess I'm wacky, I actually hope he does well while Nyquist and Tatar do well also.

Blows me away that anyone would call those garbage goals: he was exactly where he was supposed to be and did exactly what he was supposed to do.

Edited by T.Low, 05 October 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#136 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,995 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

They luuuurve Brunner in NJ. No one will say it, but they're all hoping he turns into Kovalchuk 2.0.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#137 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,995 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Watching last night's game on the NHL Network. Brunner was very visible, in a good way. Played with a surprisingly physical edge.

DeBoer always looks like he's about to cry, or something.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#138 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

I never said he couldn't play. But Tatar or Nyquist can gibe you the production he does. And at some point a few young guys deserve to be given an opportunity. We keep trotting out the same old team but expect better results as players decline. Its great.

Because given hollands track record his next two signings will be howe and yzerman.

Acually I bet a Dan Cleary extension my friend
Posted Image

#139 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

I love Brunner and think we would have been much better with him and Im sure in hindsight he would have signed here but alas it was a different kind of year with not as much "dumb" money around...But he f*ed up and is a piece of another puzzle now, but why take away/hate on a guy for goals he scored?  I would make a trade including several players from our current line up to include him in this.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#140 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

Brunner scored three hat tricks tonight.