• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Devils sign Brunner 2 yrs. $2.5 million AAV

Rate this topic

They make zero sense. The devils have scored more then 5 goals

NOW they have. At the time Brunner scored goal 2 in last night's game they had only scored 5 goals....they have currently scored 7 goals this season in 3 games.

Thu Oct 3, 2013 Devils Penguins 7:00 PM FINAL NJD (0) - PIT (3) video.gif?v=6.36 Recap

Fri Oct 4, 2013 Islanders Devils 7:00 PM FINAL NYI (4) - NJD (3) SO video.gif?v=6.36 Recap

Mon Oct 7, 2013 Devils Oilers 9:30 PM FINAL NJD (4) - EDM (5) SO video.gif?v=6.36 Recap

Edited by rrasco

I like Brunner and think he could've been a nice addition here, but here's a pretty good example of why he would not be guaranteed a spot in the top 6. It is something he could've worked his way up to, but he's not defensively responsible enough at the moment to earn that ice time. At least not under Babcock.

(it's a blog that occasionally picks a play and gives a good analysis of what happened and where the breakdowns occurred).

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/10/08/systems-analyst-puck-obsessed-devils-puck-stare-because-the-puck-is-a-puck-and-players-like-pucks/#more-86470

My favorite part is this summation of what it means to be defensively responsible:

Defensive responsibility is about the willingness to put aside the 5% opportunity for a great offensive chance to stop the 25% chance you’re going to be counted on to stop an opportunity from happening on your own net.

Guest Crymson

I like Brunner and think he could've been a nice addition here, but here's a pretty good example of why he would not be guaranteed a spot in the top 6. It is something he could've worked his way up to, but he's not defensively responsible enough at the moment to earn that ice time. At least not under Babcock.

(it's a blog that occasionally picks a play and gives a good analysis of what happened and where the breakdowns occurred).

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/10/08/systems-analyst-puck-obsessed-devils-puck-stare-because-the-puck-is-a-puck-and-players-like-pucks/#more-86470

My favorite part is this summation of what it means to be defensively responsible:

WOW, that was an egregious disregard for defense. I don't think he'd have dared do that under Babcock.

Good article. I wonder how much of Brunner's lack of defensive awareness comes from not having played defensively responsible hockey before, and how much of it is him wanting to be a hero. Game's tied, is he smelling the glory of the clutch GAG, or is it just a derp? I've heard the impression of him in Switzerland was that he was a prima donna, but I never got that impression of him here. Until the whole "not signing because he was demanding a top six spot" debacle, anyway. Who knows if there was more to it...?

It's similar to Ovechkin after 2 games having 4 goals and somehow still managing to be a minus 4. ?!!

I'd seriously like to read his break down of that.

Edited by T.Low

efix-590x331.jpg

Haha, that blog post is awesome. It's easy for armchair fans like me to look at scoring numbers and wonder why Brunner wasn't resigned (well, initially, anyway), but if you're a coach like Babcock that understands the game on a higher level and has seen mistakes like this over and over again in games and practices...it's no small wonder skilled guys like Brunner and Tatar end up in the doghouse for reasons that seem unwarranted.

I really think the whole NHL is just smarter about this kind of thing now. It's really no different than basketball - it's a 5-on-5 game where each player has both offensive and defensive responsibilities. But in the NBA, casual fans seem to understand that a guy that puts up 20 PPG but plays crap defense is a garbage player. Meanwhile, the Marian Gaborik's and poor man's versions of him with offensive skill seem to skate along, and invariably get big money from dumb teams, even though they cost their team as much as they help. To be fair, defensive in hockey is much more amorphous than the largely man-to-man NBA.

efix-590x331.jpg

Haha, that blog post is awesome. It's easy for armchair fans like me to look at scoring numbers and wonder why Brunner wasn't resigned (well, initially, anyway), but if you're a coach like Babcock that understands the game on a higher level and has seen mistakes like this over and over again in games and practices...it's no small wonder skilled guys like Brunner and Tatar end up in the doghouse for reasons that seem unwarranted.

I really think the whole NHL is just smarter about this kind of thing now. It's really no different than basketball - it's a 5-on-5 game where each player has both offensive and defensive responsibilities. But in the NBA, casual fans seem to understand that a guy that puts up 20 PPG but plays crap defense is a garbage player. Meanwhile, the Marian Gaborik's and poor man's versions of him with offensive skill seem to skate along, and invariably get big money from dumb teams, even though they cost their team as much as they help. To be fair, defensive in hockey is much more amorphous than the largely man-to-man NBA.

This, and thank you for mentioning Tatar. I felt like I was going to get lynched by a mob when I criticized his in zone and neutral zone play last week.

ohya!! maybe kenny can convince them that they're stuck with brunner thru next year.. but sammy is done after this year so it's worth the gamble/they could use his "veteran presence" :P

If they're hesitant we'll sweeten the pot with the incomparable Daniel Cleary.

Guest Crymson

Brunner is a one-dimensional player who can't create offense on his own. He is, like Hudler, useful in a complementary role. Perhaps he'll improve, but I doubt it.