• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#161 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:02 AM

I like Brunner and think he could've been a nice addition here, but here's a pretty good example of why he would not be guaranteed a spot in the top 6.  It is something he could've worked his way up to, but he's not defensively responsible enough at the moment to earn that ice time.  At least not under Babcock.

(it's a blog that occasionally picks a play and gives a good analysis of what happened and where the breakdowns occurred).

http://blogs.thescor...cks/#more-86470

My favorite part is this summation of what it means to be defensively responsible:

It's similar to Ovechkin after 2 games having 4 goals and somehow still managing to be a minus 4.  ?!!

I'd seriously like to read his break down of that.

Edited by T.Low, 09 October 2013 - 02:04 AM.

#162 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:03 AM

Did you not see Franzen on the PK on Saturday?

Sigh.

#163 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

efix-590x331.jpg

Haha, that blog post is awesome.  It's easy for armchair fans like me to look at scoring numbers and wonder why Brunner wasn't resigned (well, initially, anyway), but if you're a coach like Babcock that understands the game on a higher level and has seen mistakes like this over and over again in games and practices...it's no small wonder skilled guys like Brunner and Tatar end up in the doghouse for reasons that seem unwarranted.

I really think the whole NHL is just smarter about this kind of thing now.  It's really no different than basketball - it's a 5-on-5 game where each player has both offensive and defensive responsibilities.  But in the NBA, casual fans seem to understand that a guy that puts up 20 PPG but plays crap defense is a garbage player.  Meanwhile, the Marian Gaborik's and poor man's versions of him with offensive skill seem to skate along, and invariably get big money from dumb teams, even though they cost their team as much as they help.  To be fair, defensive in hockey is much more amorphous than the largely man-to-man NBA.

#164 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

@TGfireandice: Brunner confirms he'll be healthy scratch tonight.

@TGfireandice: Brunner has no points in last 10 games.

Second verse, same as the first...

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#165 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

efix-590x331.jpg

Haha, that blog post is awesome.  It's easy for armchair fans like me to look at scoring numbers and wonder why Brunner wasn't resigned (well, initially, anyway), but if you're a coach like Babcock that understands the game on a higher level and has seen mistakes like this over and over again in games and practices...it's no small wonder skilled guys like Brunner and Tatar end up in the doghouse for reasons that seem unwarranted.

I really think the whole NHL is just smarter about this kind of thing now.  It's really no different than basketball - it's a 5-on-5 game where each player has both offensive and defensive responsibilities.  But in the NBA, casual fans seem to understand that a guy that puts up 20 PPG but plays crap defense is a garbage player.  Meanwhile, the Marian Gaborik's and poor man's versions of him with offensive skill seem to skate along, and invariably get big money from dumb teams, even though they cost their team as much as they help.  To be fair, defensive in hockey is much more amorphous than the largely man-to-man NBA.

This, and thank you for mentioning Tatar.  I felt like I was going to get lynched by a mob when I criticized his in zone and neutral zone play last week.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#166 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

@TGfireandice: Brunner confirms he'll be healthy scratch tonight.

@TGfireandice: Brunner has no points in last 10 games.

Second verse, same as the first...

just can't hang at the next level?? 

maybe they'll take sammy for him  :bye:

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#167 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

just can't hang at the next level?? 
maybe they'll take sammy for him  :bye:

:lol:

I'd make that trade in a heartbeat!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#168 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

:lol:

I'd make that trade in a heartbeat!

ohya!! maybe kenny can convince them that they're stuck with brunner thru next year.. but sammy is done after this year so it's worth the gamble/they could use his "veteran presence" :P 

Datsyukian

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#169 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

ohya!! maybe kenny can convince them that they're stuck with brunner thru next year.. but sammy is done after this year so it's worth the gamble/they could use his "veteran presence" :P

If they're hesitant we'll sweeten the pot with the incomparable Daniel Cleary. 

#170 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

If they're hesitant we'll sweeten the pot with the incomparable Daniel Cleary. 

Overpayment we shouldn't have to do that we are the Detroit Red Wings

GET OUT Of HERE

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#171 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:34 AM

Sammy and or Cleary plus a high round pick for him? Won't get it done. 

Sadly. 

#172 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

Is anyone else getting slight satisfaction at the fact he's a healthy scratch and not producing?

#173 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,584 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

No, he was mislead by his agent. I don't harbor any ill will toward him. He has flaws but he always seemed sincere about working on them.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#174 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

Brunner is a one-dimensional player who can't create offense on his own. He is, like Hudler, useful in a complementary role. Perhaps he'll improve, but I doubt it.

#175 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

Does anyone know who his usual linemates were? Jw mostly but that could have something to do with it..

Datsyukian

adjective

#176 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

Sammy and or Cleary plus a high round pick for him? Won't get it done. 

Sadly. 

It's not unreasonable to think Sammy could have his four goals and three assists if he had the same ice time as Brunner, but he also gives a lot more defensive and physical play.

#177 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

It's not unreasonable to think Sammy could have his four goals and three assists if he had the same ice time as Brunner, but he also gives a lot more defensive and physical play.

I guess you count a couple pushes and maybe a rabbit punch to a guys chest as physical play. Other than that Sammy brings no impact full physical play.

#178 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

Relative to Brunner, at least Sammy knows his way around the scrum.

#179 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

Betcha Brunner ends up back in Detroit at some point.

Datsyukian

adjective

#180 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:43 AM