• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

I really don't agree with this at all. I don't remember any players getting injured cause player "x" had his jersey tucked in... also if they are playing and their jersey comes up how is it their fault... I can see a player on a breakaway after he has been "warned" about his equipment showing getting screwed off his breakaway cause his shirt came up after he took a hit along the boards before the breakway. This rule really has no benefit, aside from just controlling what players choose to do.

#2 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

I really don't agree with this at all. I don't remember any players getting injured cause player "x" had his jersey tucked in... also if they are playing and their jersey comes up how is it their fault... I can see a player on a breakaway after he has been "warned" about his equipment showing getting screwed off his breakaway cause his shirt came up after he took a hit along the boards before the breakway. This rule really has no benefit, aside from just controlling what players choose to do.

The greatest player ever tucked his jersey. Interesting. I really dont care either way.

#3 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

I don't care about whether or not they can tuck in jerseys either, I think it is dumb they are starting to enforce a 60 year old rule, which will solve absolutely nothing and inevitably only slow down the game, thanks again NHL for enforcing stupid rules, and not actually focusing on anything hockey related, like stricter rules and punishment for illegal hits, mind you they did spend ALL SUMMER figurng out how to re-word the illegal hit rule...

#4 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,011 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:57 AM

I predict this will ultimately result in the creation of an entirely new sort of pest/agitator: the tucker. His sole purpose: to tuck the opposition's jerseys, twice. Or several times. Or dozens of times.

Edited by Dabura, 18 September 2013 - 08:14 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#5 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:02 AM

I understand to the extent of having the fighting strap secured as part of uniform requirement, or chin strap snapped into place. 

But the jersey tuck, this is what's keeping the NHL higher-ups awake at night? This has been a prime concern lately worth resolving? Give me a break. Revisit the important stuff and stop with the trivial, pointless nonsense. 

Edited by MabusIncarnate, 18 September 2013 - 04:03 AM.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#6 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

I understand to the extent of having the fighting strap secured as part of uniform requirement, or chin strap snapped into place. 

But the jersey tuck, this is what's keeping the NHL higher-ups awake at night? This has been a prime concern lately worth resolving? Give me a break. Revisit the important stuff and stop with the trivial, pointless nonsense. 

But how will our players look all spiffy if mid game they have their equipment showing, and if there's a photo ok it will just be disgraceful, what with their jerseys tucked in. I hope they make the rule players seen't allowed to sweat within the last 5 minutes of any given period, as fans shouldn't have to see that on tv. We want people to think playing in the nhl is as effortless as Washing your car.

#7 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:33 AM

What about mouthguards?  Can they still chew them like puppies or can other players rip them out of their mouths if they do?

I agree that it looks better to have the jersey untucked, but really?  It's not worth penalizing anyone over.

#8 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

Wayne Gretzky just laughs.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#9 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

What about mouthguards?  Can they still chew them like puppies or can other players rip them out of their mouths if they do?

I agree that it looks better to have the jersey untucked, but really?  It's not worth penalizing anyone over.

Mouthgaurds being ripped out is fine, only because it makes magic refs appear from nowhere

#10 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

I understand to the extent of having the fighting strap secured as part of uniform requirement 

That's actually what I thought this thread was going to be about.  I was just thinking about that a month or two ago. 

Just a couple/few years ago, the NHL was handing out violations for players who didn't tie down their fight strap,  but now since a lot of the young star players started saying f*** it and not tying their straps down any more, it seems the NHL has just decided to stop enforcing it.

#11 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

Every story seems to latch on to the part about the jersey tuck, but it's really an entire list of jersey requirements. 

Some of it I'm guessing is aesthetics to keep the league from looking sloppy.  Some of it is minor protection, like your jersey having to go down to the cuff of your gloves.  And the rest is probably about advertisers.  In the explanation they make note of only having logos of league approved equipment visible. 

I can't really see this being enforced during key parts of a game unless a player continually and intentionally breaks the rule.  We'll see I guess.  

Here's a photo with the explanation of the rules. 

http://www.washingto...nges_Page_2.jpg

#12 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

I cant believe players dont wear full cages yet.

#13 StayClassy

StayClassy

Babcock's Doormat

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

In a league where it's already hard enough to differentiate your players that are on the ice you think anything to set them apart would be encouraged really.

You think a guy like Ovechkin tucking his jersey, making him instantly recognizable on the ice, would actually be a positive thing.

Edited by StayClassy, 18 September 2013 - 11:08 AM.

"Let him live."

#14 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

Every story seems to latch on to the part about the jersey tuck, but it's really an entire list of jersey requirements. 

Some of it I'm guessing is aesthetics to keep the league from looking sloppy.  Some of it is minor protection, like your jersey having to go down to the cuff of your gloves.  And the rest is probably about advertisers.  In the explanation they make note of only having logos of league approved equipment visible. 

I can't really see this being enforced during key parts of a game unless a player continually and intentionally breaks the rule.  We'll see I guess.  

Here's a photo with the explanation of the rules. 

http://www.washingto...nges_Page_2.jpg

I know that the rule has other requirements as well I just think the aesthetic parts of the rule are ridiculous

#15 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Also you can't dump your lid pre-fight this year.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#16 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

Also you can't dump your lid pre-fight this year.

Does that negate the instigating with a visor penalty?

#17 One4TheWings

One4TheWings

"dc"

• Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'm surprised no one has anticipated where this may be going. This year, force them to wear their jersey's untucked. Next year... allow advertising below the bottom seam of the jersey. I bet this is a foreshadowing of advertising to come.

An advertiser is going to be pissed if they pay to have a product or company logo on a jersey and then the players are allowed to hide the advertising because that's how the player prefers wear his sweater.

4G1V3N

#18 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm surprised no one has anticipated where this may be going. This year, force them to wear their jersey's untucked. Next year... allow advertising below the bottom seam of the jersey. I bet this is a foreshadowing of advertising to come.

An advertiser is going to be pissed if they pay to have a product or company logo on a jersey and then the players are allowed to hide the advertising because that's how the player prefers wear his sweater.

People are definitely speculating that's the real reason behind it.  I'm trying to save my outrage until it sounds like it might happen.  :P

#19 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

Does this mean on some level was the great one cheating?  Must have had some sort of and edge with that one side tucked like that, we better have another look at those stats of his as they may need some re-adjusting

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#20 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Im ok with advertising on jerseys. It makes no difference. Coca Cola sounds lke a good fit for us.