• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Euro_Twins

NHL enforcing uniform rule from 1964

Rate this topic

Guest ForzaVerde

Delay of game penalty for evryone... thus delaying the game... oh god it's an infinite loop

The NHLPA needs to call a "Waste of Time" penalty on the league. This is a lame rule already.

I tried explaining to a casual fan of hockey how jersey tucking is infinitely more dangerous than, say, body checking, or, say, skating on ice, or, say, falling on ice, or, say, not wearing a visor, or, say, shooting a puck, or, say, being a goalie, or, say, being a referee, or, say, sitting on the bench (pucks get shot there all the time), or, say, sitting in the stands near ice-level (falling pucks). I also tried explaining how jersey tucking is equally as dangerous (2-minute minor) as slashing (2-minute minor), tripping (2-minute minor), cross-checking (2-minute minor), high-sticking (2-minute minor), etc.

It left me wondering one thing: if blood is drawn, by a tucked-in jersey, is it four minutes in the box?

I tried explaining to a casual fan of hockey how jersey tucking is infinitely more dangerous than, say, body checking, or, say, skating on ice, or, say, falling on ice, or, say, not wearing a visor, or, say, shooting a puck, or, say, being a goalie, or, say, being a referee, or, say, sitting on the bench (pucks get shot there all the time), or, say, sitting in the stands near ice-level (falling pucks). I also tried explaining how jersey tucking is equally as dangerous (2-minute minor) as slashing (2-minute minor), tripping (2-minute minor), cross-checking (2-minute minor), high-sticking (2-minute minor), etc.

It left me wondering one thing: if blood is drawn, by a tucked-in jersey, is it four minutes in the box?

Only if it goes over the glass or happens in the last five minutes of play (unless you're a star player) or if you're in the trapezoid or if the official had the intent to blow.

- I was just reflecting on the time that guy got injured because of that tucked-in jersey. Remember that?

- It's Game 7 of the SCF. Tie game, with 1:45 to go in regulation. A player clearly has a tucked-in jersey. He's already been warned once; he gets called (because, damn it, The League is serious about this. Mmkay?) Team scores on the PP. Game over. Everyone in the freaking world hears about it. This is good for the game.

- What if it's not clear? Would there be video review?

- Don't officials tuck in their sweaters? Why is this ok? What if, when two players are being separated from a brawl, one player accidentally trips on the official's tucked-in jersey and breaks his neck? Then what?

Edited by Dabura

- I was just reflecting on the time that guy got injured because of that tucked-in jersey. Remember that?

- It's Game 7 of the SCF. Tie game, with 1:45 to go in regulation. A player cleary has a tucked-in jersey. He's already been warned once; he gets called (because, damn it, The League is serious about this. Mmkay?) Team scores on the PP. Game over. Everyone in the freaking world hears about it. This is good for the game.

- Don't officials tuck in their sweaters? Why is this ok? What if, when two players are being separated from a brawl, one player accidentally trips on the official's tucked-in jersey and breaks his neck? Then what?

Delay of game for the ref?

Only if it goes over the glass or happens in the last five minutes of play (unless you're a star player) or if you're in the trapezoid or if the official had the intent to blow.

In my experience, most officials don't deliberately intend to blow, they just do. Except for this guy maybe. I think he blows on purpose.

ref.jpg

Guest ForzaVerde

- It's Game 7 of the SCF. Tie game, with 1:45 to go in regulation. A player clearly has a tucked-in jersey. He's already been warned once; he gets called (because, damn it, The League is serious about this. Mmkay?) Team scores on the PP. Game over. Everyone in the freaking world hears about it. This is good for the game.

There's a new 10 minute major for tucking that goes to guys like the killer in Silence of the Lambs. Ha!

I think this rule is ridiculous, as well.

It's probably LESS to do with advertising than people think (i.e. not the first step in a process that leads to sponsors on the back of jerseys), but more to do with brand presentation. *Note - Tried to find a promo/press pic of Ovie but they were all of him in game* However in all these sorts of photoshoot pics, what's the one thing you notice about the player in questions jersey? If you, as an organisation, are trying to sell your brand then the last thing you want is your marquee player, the face of your franchise, obscuring part of their jersey (in this case, their number) when he is on TV or going to be snapped for the net or the papers. All arranged photos seem to have players with untucked jerseys it seems.

Not surprising this seemed to come at the request of GMs.

Edited by Wing Across The Pond

It's probably LESS to do with advertising than people think (i.e. not the first step in a process that leads to sponsors on the back of jerseys), but more to do with brand presentation. *Note - Tried to find a promo/press pic of Ovie but they were all of him in game* However in all these sorts of photoshoot pics, what's the one thing you notice about the player in questions jersey? If you, as an organisation, are trying to sell your brand then the last thing you want is your marquee player, the face of your franchise, obscuring part of their jersey (in this case, their number) when he is on TV or going to be snapped for the net or the papers. All arranged photos seem to have players with untucked jerseys it seems.

Not surprising this seemed to come at the request of GMs.

Yup. Although I'm not sure there's a big difference between "advertising" and "brand presentation" in this case (or in any case, really).

Yup. Although I'm not sure there's a big difference between "advertising" and "brand presentation" in this case (or in any case, really).

Truuuuue dat. Although I guess I meant 'brand' more like, selling jerseys to fans (personalised ones worth more preferably), rather than ad space to companies. But yeah not really any difference. It's all the about the image

No more rolled up sleeves for Bert.

I get it but I'd lose my mind if we lost a game on a PK because someone had their sleeves rolled up or their jersey tucked

Your a "international intentional tucker"

Would it be an automatic game misconduct if a player drove one of these to the arena too?

tucker.jpg

Yes if the NHL is going to enforce a rule from 1964, I'm going to reference a car produced in 1948. Makes as much sense as what the NHL head office is doing.

Edited by ogreslayer