• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Pulkkinen Scheduled for Hearing

Rate this topic

The annoying thing about the article....what relevance is it that Chicago won the game?

Detroit Red Wings left wing Teemu Pulkkinen will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety at the League's New York office Thursday for a boarding incident during a preseason game against the Chicago Blackhawks Tuesday at United Center.

Pulkkinen was offered the opportunity for an in-person hearing as required by provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement for any suspension that can exceed five games.

At 2:16 of the first period, Pulkkinen was assessed a five-minute major for boarding and a game misconduct for a hit on Chicago defenseman Michael Kostka.

Kostka left the game and did not return.

The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: boarding. However, the Department of Player Safety retains the right to make adjustments to the infraction upon review.

Chicago won the game, 2-0.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=683013

Probably suspendable, but who cares. He wont be in the league this year anyway.

I think the commentary sold it a little worse than it was. I highly doubt he made a "B-line from the bench" to hit him from behind. Looked like another play of the defenseman turning his back to head back behind the net.

per that video that Harold posted he did not catch him "straight" in the numbers. he caught him in the side.

his right shoulder collides with the numbers of the back of his jersey. the side would be if he hit him on the side of his shoulder. The second angle is where you can see it properly.

Edited by wingedominance13

From what I saw the blackhawk player saw Pulkkinen coming and turned his back to him as he came in. Pulkkinen was straddling and not taking strides.

I would like to see dangerous hits out of the game, but the player being hit need to take some responsibility.

2 minutes boarding. but since he is a young player (like Smith back in the day) the league is going to make an example and give him much more then that.

He should be suspended, in part because it's pre-season.

Kostka's upper body may have been turned so it wasn't square in the numbers, but Kostka was essentially facing the boards the whole time he made the move behind the net, with his back to Pulkkinen. What decides it for me is there's really no way this results in a good hit based on where Kostka was in relation to the boards and the angle Pulkkinen was coming from. Any result sends Kostka headfirst into the boards.

Stupid play and he should've let up. That being said I don't think it warrants 5 or more games. A couple preseason games would be enough.

I don't see why they'd need an in person hearing, unless they're going to suspend him for the remainder of the pre-season to make an empty gesture about punishing bad hits.

Looked more like the scrum after the hit was more dangerous to the guy on the ice than the hit itself. Was it a borderline hit? Sure. Is it worse than some of the BS teams have gotten away with against the Wings last playoffs? Not even close.

He should be suspended, in part because it's pre-season.

Kostka's upper body may have been turned so it wasn't square in the numbers, but Kostka was essentially facing the boards the whole time he made the move behind the net, with his back to Pulkkinen. What decides it for me is there's really no way this results in a good hit based on where Kostka was in relation to the boards and the angle Pulkkinen was coming from. Any result sends Kostka headfirst into the boards.

Stupid play and he should've let up. That being said I don't think it warrants 5 or more games. A couple preseason games would be enough.

I don't see why they'd need an in person hearing, unless they're going to suspend him for the remainder of the pre-season to make an empty gesture about punishing bad hits.

While past performance does not guarantee future results, I think the league is going to "Brendan Smith" him. I'm expecting the same suspension Smith got in 2011 which would be the rest of the pre-season & 5 regular season games. And like in Smith's case, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the AHL maybe not match the 5 games but suspend him for a couple/few.

Non-star player+preseason game=NHL will send a message

Same hit from a "name" player in March=Game misconduct and maybe a one or two game suspension on top of that

If Pulkkinen gets suspended, it will be for regular-season games. I'm pretty sure that means he has to be on the RW roster at the time. Further complicating the need to get down to 23 bodies by the season opener. Unless they have a slew of injuries, I'd say Nyquist is now pretty well guaranteed to be heading down, and the Wings will have to waive/trade two guys, not one (plus put Helm on LTIR), in order to keep Pulkkinen on the roster through his suspension.