• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,843 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

Looked more like the scrum after the hit was more dangerous to the guy on the ice than the hit itself. Was it a borderline hit? Sure. Is it worse than some of the BS teams have gotten away with against the Wings last playoffs? Not even close.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#22 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

He should be suspended, in part because it's pre-season.

Kostka's upper body may have been turned so it wasn't square in the numbers, but Kostka was essentially facing the boards the whole time he made the move behind the net, with his back to Pulkkinen.  What decides it for me is there's really no way this results in a good hit based on where Kostka was in relation to the boards and the angle Pulkkinen was coming from.  Any result sends Kostka headfirst into the boards. 

Stupid play and he should've let up.  That being said I don't think it warrants 5 or more games.  A couple preseason games would be enough.

I don't see why they'd need an in person hearing, unless they're going to suspend him for the remainder of the pre-season to make an empty gesture about punishing bad hits.  

While past performance does not guarantee future results, I think the league is going to "Brendan Smith" him.  I'm expecting the same suspension Smith got in 2011 which would be the rest of the pre-season & 5 regular season games.  And like in Smith's case, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the AHL maybe not match the 5 games but suspend him for a couple/few. 

Non-star player+preseason game=NHL will send a message

Same hit from a "name" player in March=Game misconduct and maybe a one or two game suspension on top of that

#23 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

I think he should be suspended, like snepts said there's just about no way that hit doesn't result in him going head first into the boards.  Pretty careless imho.

#24 martyrme19

martyrme19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

I saw the hit live and I turned to my friend and said "well there's a 5 minute major for you guys."

Just for the record, the weather today is slightly sarcastic with a good chance of rain.

#25 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

If Pulkkinen gets suspended, it will be for regular-season games. I'm pretty sure that means he has to be on the RW roster at the time. Further complicating the need to get down to 23 bodies by the season opener. Unless they have a slew of injuries, I'd say Nyquist is now pretty well guaranteed to be heading down, and the Wings will have to waive/trade two guys, not one (plus put Helm on LTIR), in order to keep Pulkkinen on the roster through his suspension.

#26 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Can we all just remember that Keith got 1 game for THIS!!!

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#27 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

If Pulkkinen gets suspended, it will be for regular-season games. I'm pretty sure that means he has to be on the RW roster at the time. Further complicating the need to get down to 23 bodies by the season opener. Unless they have a slew of injuries, I'd say Nyquist is now pretty well guaranteed to be heading down, and the Wings will have to waive/trade two guys, not one (plus put Helm on LTIR), in order to keep Pulkkinen on the roster through his suspension.

It means he will serve his suspension while he is on the NHL roster, it doesn't mean he has to be on the roster at any point in time.  Just like with the Smith suspension, they will send him up/down based on roster availability etc to allow him to serve his suspension.  It basically means he can't play NHL games until he's been on the NHL roster for X number of games suspended.  No requirements to be on said roster.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#28 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

The League will probably come down hard on him. "Setting the tone" with relative nobodies while slapping the wrists of higher profile players, that whole song and dance. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#29 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

It means he will serve his suspension while he is on the NHL roster, it doesn't mean he has to be on the roster at any point in time.  Just like with the Smith suspension, they will send him up/down based on roster availability etc to allow him to serve his suspension.  It basically means he can't play NHL games until he's been on the NHL roster for X number of games suspended.  No requirements to be on said roster.

Thanks for clarifying that.

#30 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

That hit is a joke compared to this one that got no supplemental action:

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Not to mention that hit that gets no extra penalty looks equivalent to about 3 or 4 last year that all got suspensions. I like that they are going the direction of not penalizing someone because other guy isn't keeping his head up, but you have to be consistent year to year unless you specifically make a rule change.

#31 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,041 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

That hit is a joke compared to this one that got no supplemental action:

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Not to mention that hit that gets no extra penalty looks equivalent to about 3 or 4 last year that all got suspensions. I like that they are going the direction of not penalizing someone because other guy isn't keeping his head up, but you have to be consistent year to year unless you specifically make a rule change.

I agree with you about the league's inconsistency but the Nolan hit is a bad example.  Pulkinnen's hit was from behind that sent a player flying headfirst into the boards. 

Nolan's involved the head but made solid body contact, which is key, plus his skates stayed on the ice and he kept his elbow tucked.  It was a textbook example of a legal hit that contacts the head.  The explanation video even refers back to an almost identical hit by Weber that they've used in player safety videos as an example of what's legal. 

#32 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

Simple rule is if you see the guy's name you don't hit him. That's all on Pulk. Pulk will get hammered because he's a rookie who has no shot at making the NHL out of camp and they can say see we do want to stop those hits. Then when a star does it or nobody is hurt they can make an excuse to let it go later in the year. What should happen is it's a suspension regardless of injury or player status, but we might as well wish that the government actually did what was right instead of what's best for themselves.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#33 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

Four preseason games.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#34 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,041 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

Wings' prospect Teemu Pulkkinen suspended for four preseason games for his hit on Chicago's Michael Kostka on Tuesday.

#35 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

Adam Erne gets three preseason games.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#36 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

There is better video in this video (proof that we could have watched it).  I thought it was kind of funny when Shanny says he has no suspension history because it was his first NHL shift.  Anyone else ever suspended from their first shift?

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=683255

#37 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

LMAO.  This was pretty funny:

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames 10m

#RedWings F Teemu Pulkkinen suspended 4 exhibition games for boarding CHI D Michael Kostka.

Mike Modano @9modano 6m

@HeleneStJames yawn..zzz

#38 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

There is better video in this video (proof that we could have watched it).  I thought it was kind of funny when Shanny says he has no suspension history because it was his first NHL shift.  Anyone else ever suspended from their first shift?

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=683255

He literally has played a grand total of 6 seconds in the NHL