• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Ownership transfer at the BOG meeting

Rate this topic

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=432255 sadly, it looks like the best owner in all of sports is going to hand over the ownership :-(

Franchise matters ranging from the expected sale of the Florida Panthers, the sale of the New Jersey Devils and the latest on the Ilitch family's ownership transfer in Detroit will be covered by the commissioner's office.

Edited by frankgrimes

...to Daniel Cleary.

Hardly think this is funny, it will be a very sad day once the best owner in all of sports is going to hand over the ownership. I don't know if Chris has the same motivation, drive and dedication to spend whatever it takes in order to ice a winner. Judging form what I have seen form Chis he comes off more as the business first, dedication way later type of guy, if thats true the DetroitRedWings future will not be good.

Wasn't Chris the one responsible for hiring Wilson and this awful arena marketing thing? If so, looking "forward" to more sponors and other comercial crap coming before the team...

...to Daniel Cleary.

I need a new keyboard, thanks.

Seriously though, that link was kinda light on details, seems like a pretty significant development that warrants more than just an afterthought, anyone know more about this situation?

Edited by McAwesome

No, the situation isn't funny, and it is, of course, sad that Mr. Illitch's health is where it is right now. But, I mean, what do you want me, or anyone else, to say? "This sucks"? Kind of a truism, and not much of a conversation starter, IMHO.

The "good" news here is it's definitely staying in the family. (Or is it?)

Hasn't Chris been the de facto decision maker for Ilitch Holdings for quite a while now? I know Mike and Marian write the checks, but if I'm not mistaken Chris has been the go-to guy for a few years. If so, it's basically just making the situation official in spite of the fact that it's been the reality for quite a while.

Edit: Just looked it up, Chris is the President and CEO of Ilitch Holdings and has been since 2004. So I wouldn't worry too much about any changes to the way the team does business.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest ForzaVerde

We still can get pizza at the games right? I'll buy two if Cleary is serving the pizzas :w00t:

That pizza is garbage. Big mistake.

Chris has been gradually taking over from his dad for years now, and it seems like he's been completely running things for a couple seasons.

I think things will continue on as they have under Mike.

I dont think its as much of Mike's health as its properly planning for his successor. Eventhough Chris will become #1 on paper, he still wants Mike around to lend advice when needed for the next couple years.

GET OUT! don't you ever think I want "good pizza" when I go to a hockey game and spend $20 on a $5 hot 'n ready, don't you dare... (obviously the pizza sucks it's a $5 pizza that you're paying $20 for)

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Hot and Ready pizzas are awesome. You just can't hold them to a standard they're independent of. Are there better pizzas? Yes. But those are gourmet pizzas, and have nothing whatsoever to do with the type of pizza broke people and college kids buy. It's like saying Busch beer sucks because it's not as good as Guinness. Of course it isn't. It's not supposed to be. It's supposed to be cheap, and get you drunk...and it does that excellently. Just like Hot and Ready pizzas are supposed to be cheap and filling. If that's the standard then they pass with flying colors.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Hot and Ready pizzas are awesome. You just can't hold them to a standard they're independent of. Are there better pizzas? Yes. But those are gourmet pizzas, and have nothing whatsoever to do with the type of pizza broke people and college kids buy. It's like saying Busch beer sucks because it's not as good as Guinness. Of course it isn't. It's not supposed to be. It's supposed to be cheap, and get you drunk...and it does that excellently. Just like Hot and Ready pizzas are supposed to be cheap and filling. If that's the standard then they pass with flying colors.

HOLD UP, my main gripe is that they charge me $20 for a $5 pizza, that would be like them serving me a dellisio pizza for $20, I will have no problem eating a hot n ready, I get one every time I go to the Joe too, I just think for $20 the pizza should be better, thats all, it is crappy pizza for $20

Guest Playmaker

I think it's pretty clear that Mike Ilitch has declined significantly physically and mentally over the past several years and the transfer is really just a formality. It's been somewhat uncomfortable watching him at some of these public events. Like it or not, hockey is a business, and as much as they want to win, make no mistake, they are in it to make money. Corporate sponsorships are just the way things are done nowadays