39 replies to this topic

#1 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432270

I think its a good deal, the Oilers overpaying him upfront and RNH will be underpaid in a few years, should be fair for both sides.

Edited by frankgrimes, 19 September 2013 - 05:21 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#2 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

I agree with you. Overpaid in year 1, perfectly paid in year 2, bargain in years 3 through 7.

#3 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

Idk about this. He's barely played in the NHL and this is a BIG contract. We'll see what happens.

#4 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

Idk about this. He's barely played in the NHL and this is a BIG contract. We'll see what happens.

Who is the last #1 overall to fizzle? This is a sure fire. The kid is awesome.

#5 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

...and so when Shultz, Dubnyk, or Yak needs a contract,  I'm guessing it's around $6million, huh?

Better hope that salary cap goes up quickly there EDM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#6 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

Text book example of why salaries are out of control in the NHL most of the time.  Owners give him that kind of money and term based on his career 76 points in 102 games.  Obviously the kid will continue to improve, and he might well be a super-fricken-star one day.  But today isn't that day, and he just got HUGELY overpaid based on potential and draft position alone.  Hell, Rick Nash won the Rocket Richard Trophy his second year in the league and didn't get paid like this on his next contract. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#7 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

Text book example of why salaries are out of control in the NHL most of the time.  Owners give him that kind of money and term based on his career 76 points in 102 games.  Obviously the kid will continue to improve, and he might well be a super-fricken-star one day.  But today isn't that day, and he just got HUGELY overpaid based on potential and draft position alone.  Hell, Rick Nash won the Rocket Richard Trophy his second year in the league and didn't get paid like this on his next contract. 

Well RNH is extremely talented and the team must like what they've seen from him, it's always better to overpay them now and underpaying them once their value is through the roof. 4 years from now this deal could look like a steal, give this kid time to bulk up and he is going to be a beast.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#8 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

They are throwing a lot of money at a lot of really young guys, and people saying they are paying for potential and it may look like a steal in a few years but when he's up for renewal he will command like 9 mil, that's just my take at least...

#9 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

They are going to have a huge cap situation in a couple years when a few of there next round of kids run out of entry level contracts. Someone big will either be lost in free agency or trade.

#10 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

They are going to have a huge cap situation in a couple years when a few of there next round of kids run out of entry level contracts. Someone big will either be lost in free agency or trade.

Probably a trade especially if they are an rfa

#11 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Probably a trade especially if they are an rfa

Enter: Craig MacTavish.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#12 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

The signing was made for future in hand as well. Like someone said, right now it might be an overpayment but in a couple years it will be a great deal.

People said the same when Ericsson signed, and even when Datsyuk got his contract. Look what happened with them.

#13 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

It's not that he's not a good player or anything.  And it's certainly not like he won't continue to improve.  I just have a problem with teams giving big contracts to people who haven't earned them yet.  s***, if you're ok with this contract, then why not sign Brunner for the 3.5 he was asking?  I mean, he's only going to get better right?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#14 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

Like RNH but agreed with some people on here don't like the signing. Not a fan of shelling out cash for future potential. 

#15 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Nothing's ever sure fire. There's been 4 in the last twenty years.

#16 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

That's hard to say, given that the Oilers have gotten three out of the past four. I'd say the most notable recent example is Erik Johnson, who has been nowhere near as good as projected. All told, though, the #1 overalls of the 2000s and 2010s have been good. Not so in the 90s, six of whose ten were Hamrlik, Jovanovski, Daigle, Phillips, Berard, and Stefan. Four of those were decent, but by no means did they measure up to their promise. The only dubious #1s of the 2000s were DiPietro and the aforementioned Johnson. The rest have all seen success, though Fleury was, in retrospect, a terrible choice out of his draft class.

#17 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

It's not that he's not a good player or anything.  And it's certainly not like he won't continue to improve.  I just have a problem with teams giving big contracts to people who haven't earned them yet.  s***, if you're ok with this contract, then why not sign Brunner for the 3.5 he was asking?  I mean, he's only going to get better right?

Well, to be fair: 1) two different teams (with different situations, needs, etc.), and 2) RNH looks like he's going to be a lot better than Brunner will ever be (not that I don't like Brunner). I think I agree with your main point, though.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#18 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

Nothing's ever sure fire. There's been 4 in the last twenty years.

Youre right. There are a few. Still, based on what I've seen so far, RNH is a keeper.

#19 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

The league should of stood its ground on these long term contracts. 5 years max is ideal.

#20 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

Youre right. There are a few. Still, based on what I've seen so far, RNH is a keeper.

Sure is, but not for 42 million dollars after 100 nhl games and 76 points, which is respectable but by no means deserving of that huge contract. He only scored 4 goals this past season...