• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Ryan-Nugent-Hopkins re-signs with Edmonton 7yrs/42m

Rate this topic

Guest ForzaVerde

I agree with you. Overpaid in year 1, perfectly paid in year 2, bargain in years 3 through 7.

Guest ForzaVerde

Idk about this. He's barely played in the NHL and this is a BIG contract. We'll see what happens.

Who is the last #1 overall to fizzle? This is a sure fire. The kid is awesome.

Text book example of why salaries are out of control in the NHL most of the time. Owners give him that kind of money and term based on his career 76 points in 102 games. Obviously the kid will continue to improve, and he might well be a super-fricken-star one day. But today isn't that day, and he just got HUGELY overpaid based on potential and draft position alone. Hell, Rick Nash won the Rocket Richard Trophy his second year in the league and didn't get paid like this on his next contract.

Text book example of why salaries are out of control in the NHL most of the time. Owners give him that kind of money and term based on his career 76 points in 102 games. Obviously the kid will continue to improve, and he might well be a super-fricken-star one day. But today isn't that day, and he just got HUGELY overpaid based on potential and draft position alone. Hell, Rick Nash won the Rocket Richard Trophy his second year in the league and didn't get paid like this on his next contract.

Well RNH is extremely talented and the team must like what they've seen from him, it's always better to overpay them now and underpaying them once their value is through the roof. 4 years from now this deal could look like a steal, give this kid time to bulk up and he is going to be a beast.

They are throwing a lot of money at a lot of really young guys, and people saying they are paying for potential and it may look like a steal in a few years but when he's up for renewal he will command like 9 mil, that's just my take at least...

It's not that he's not a good player or anything. And it's certainly not like he won't continue to improve. I just have a problem with teams giving big contracts to people who haven't earned them yet. s***, if you're ok with this contract, then why not sign Brunner for the 3.5 he was asking? I mean, he's only going to get better right?

Guest Crymson

Who is the last #1 overall to fizzle? This is a sure fire. The kid is awesome.

That's hard to say, given that the Oilers have gotten three out of the past four. I'd say the most notable recent example is Erik Johnson, who has been nowhere near as good as projected. All told, though, the #1 overalls of the 2000s and 2010s have been good. Not so in the 90s, six of whose ten were Hamrlik, Jovanovski, Daigle, Phillips, Berard, and Stefan. Four of those were decent, but by no means did they measure up to their promise. The only dubious #1s of the 2000s were DiPietro and the aforementioned Johnson. The rest have all seen success, though Fleury was, in retrospect, a terrible choice out of his draft class.

It's not that he's not a good player or anything. And it's certainly not like he won't continue to improve. I just have a problem with teams giving big contracts to people who haven't earned them yet. s***, if you're ok with this contract, then why not sign Brunner for the 3.5 he was asking? I mean, he's only going to get better right?

Well, to be fair: 1) two different teams (with different situations, needs, etc.), and 2) RNH looks like he's going to be a lot better than Brunner will ever be (not that I don't like Brunner). I think I agree with your main point, though.

Guest ForzaVerde

Nothing's ever sure fire. There's been 4 in the last twenty years.

Youre right. There are a few. Still, based on what I've seen so far, RNH is a keeper.

Youre right. There are a few. Still, based on what I've seen so far, RNH is a keeper.

Sure is, but not for 42 million dollars after 100 nhl games and 76 points, which is respectable but by no means deserving of that huge contract. He only scored 4 goals this past season...

Guest ForzaVerde

Sure is, but not for 42 million dollars after 100 nhl games and 76 points, which is respectable but by no means deserving of that huge contract. He only scored 4 goals this past season...

Time will tell, I guess.

Yo! What up all? Hope you enjoyed your summers (been a while).

I really like RNH, and lets be fair, with the situation Edmonton are in, if they don't sign him for his outstanding potential, they'll pretty much have no one except another kid with less potential and less skill. It's no surprise that with RNH injured to start this season they're most likely going to play Hall centre... their top line winger. Most likely because promoting their second line C won't be good enough/will have drastic knock on effects for the lower order. Their management situation (what is it, like 5 coaches in 6 years?) makes it an unattractive place to go to if you're a prime player.

With that in mind, I believe that, whilst the contract is indeed a big risk, it's pretty necessary. (All opinion)

Guest ForzaVerde

Yo! What up all? Hope you enjoyed your summers (been a while).

I really like RNH, and lets be fair, with the situation Edmonton are in, if they don't sign him for his outstanding potential, they'll pretty much have no one except another kid with less potential and less skill. It's no surprise that with RNH injured to start this season they're most likely going to play Hall centre... their top line winger. Most likely because promoting their second line C won't be good enough/will have drastic knock on effects for the lower order. Their management situation (what is it, like 5 coaches in 6 years?) makes it an unattractive place to go to if you're a prime player.

With that in mind, I believe that, whilst the contract is indeed a big risk, it's pretty necessary. (All opinion)

Yup. When RNH comes back, Edmonton is going ro be a threat. This might be the year all the rebuilding bears fruit. I expect them to make the playoffs.

Isn't this the type of contract the Wings normally sign guys to? Maybe not to this great of an extent, but the Wings normally aren't dealing with as high end talent. However, you sign him to this deal in the hopes that he reaches the lofty potential and the deal becomes a bargain in the long-term.

When I first saw the deal, I thought it was way overpayment and it really is right now, but it's obviously a big risk that they are hoping will pay off (they've given similar deals to their other young players as well).

Isn't this the type of contract the Wings normally sign guys to? Maybe not to this great of an extent, but the Wings normally aren't dealing with as high end talent. However, you sign him to this deal in the hopes that he reaches the lofty potential and the deal becomes a bargain in the long-term.

When I first saw the deal, I thought it was way overpayment and it really is right now, but it's obviously a big risk that they are hoping will pay off (they've given similar deals to their other young players as well).

Find me one long term big money contract like this the wings have signed after the entry level contract is up please. The equivalent to this for us would be signing Tatar after this year to a 7 year $35 million contract