• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Ryan-Nugent-Hopkins re-signs with Edmonton 7yrs/42m

Rate this topic

Guest ForzaVerde

Find me one long term big money contract like this the wings have signed after the entry level contract is up please. The equivalent to this for us would be signing Tatar after this year to a 7 year $35 million contract

Find me (1) #1 overall pick we have coming off entry level. Your analogy is terrible. I like Tatar, but he's going to finish with 200-500 career pts more than likely. RNH will get 1000-1500 and end up in the HHOF. They are paying RNH Datsyuk money because they know he's going to produce Datsyuk pts.

Find me one long term big money contract like this the wings have signed after the entry level contract is up please. The equivalent to this for us would be signing Tatar after this year to a 7 year $35 million contract

Like I said....."not normally to this extent" - meaning, not as long term with as big dollars and there is a good reason for that.....they don't have any #1 overall draft picks on the roster. So...when you are dealing with lower potential upside, obviously the term and $ will be lower, but the Wings definitely have a history of overpaying intially in the hopes of overachieving before contract end.

Find me (1) #1 overall pick we have coming off entry level. Your analogy is terrible. I like Tatar, but he's going to finish with 200-500 career pts more than likely. RNH will get 1000-1500 and end up in the HHOF. They are paying RNH Datsyuk money because they know he's going to produce Datsyuk pts.

Sorry this is ridiculous. Predicting season stats is a bit silly, but predicting career stats and saying a 20 yr old is going to be in the HHOF is beyond laughable. They don't "know" anything. They're hoping this will pay off in the end, but there's a chance it could bite them in the ass. He could turn out to be an average forward

Guest ForzaVerde

Sorry this is ridiculous. Predicting season stats is a bit silly, but predicting career stats and saying a 20 yr old is going to be in the HHOF is beyond laughable. They don't "know" anything. They're hoping this will pay off in the end, but there's a chance it could bite them in the ass. He could turn out to be an average forward

We already reviewed #1 overalls. Remember? 80% success rate as league all-stars / HOF calibur. RNH looks like he fits the bill.

First of all I compensated for the difference by giving a different $ figure, Secondly after 100 games you should not be giving any play 6 mil a year, doesn't matter what his potential is or what draft position he was picked. What happened to playing hard and earning a raise. They could have waited to see what he would offer them this year in a full season, instead they jumped the gun, and I hope they pay dearly for it. This is exactly the reason NHL salaries have become so inflated, but hey let's have another lockout to try and save us from ourselves, right... right?

Guest ForzaVerde

First of all I compensated for the difference by giving a different $ figure, Secondly after 100 games you should not be giving any play 6 mil a year, doesn't matter what his potential is or what draft position he was picked. What happened to playing hard and earning a raise. They could have waited to see what he would offer them this year in a full season, instead they jumped the gun, and I hope they pay dearly for it. This is exactly the reason NHL salaries have become so inflated, but hey let's have another lockout to try and save us from ourselves, right... right?

I believe in supply and demand = free market. Players shouldnt have to sign under-valued contracts because there has been a lockout in the past or one is looming. The Oil ponied up for their #1. Whats wrong with that?

I believe in supply and demand = free market. Players shouldnt have to sign under-valued contracts because there has been a lockout in the past or one is looming. The Oil ponied up for their #1. Whats wrong with that?

You still don't get it. It's way over valued. He has barely any nhl experience, he hasn't earned anything, he's not their #1 either, maybe one day but not even close yet. It is a stupid signing, end of story.

what ever happened to tweener contracts? 2 years at 3.5 and then a payday would have been fair for Hall, Eberle and now Nugent-Hopkins. Then Schultz will ask for 5-6 mil and Yakupov will get traded for less than the Oilers want for him cause teams know they won't be able to afford him. He gets traded at the deadline this year for sure, or next season before his ELC expires so a new team can negotiate a new contract with him.

1 - Salaries only inflate when revenues inflate, so giving out deals like this does nothing...the players will get what they get regardless (x% of revenues)

2 - I understand what you are saying about earning the raise, but the deal is done this way to avoid paying him a modest amount over the next 2 years and then have to pay him boatloads more than $6M in a couple years if he becomes one of the elite players in the league and the salary cap has gone up. It is purely a risk management decision, plain and simple. They'd rather pay him $6M for 7 years, then $3M for the next 2 + $9M for the next 5 years after that.

The team will lose one of Ganger/Nail/Schultz due to cap limitations, but, you got to pick your poison and you can't let a guy like RHN get away.

Edited by Shaman