• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

I don't know, I don't get the hoopla over the Alumni games.  I don't really care if any of these guys participate or not.  Last I heard, Yzerman had said he hadn't even had a pair of sakes on in like 3 years and this was a few years ago.  He's the GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning, a division rival of the Wings. Stevie, Sergei and Shanny have all moved on to other things.  Maybe the fans should too?

Excuse me but they are all Wings alumni.  Why wouldn't they be invited to participate, especially Yzerman?  Why would it matter he's part of the Bolts organization?  It would  be whether or not he's able to participate.

#22 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Sucks to be Leafs alumni.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#23 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

yzerman and shanahan not playing is understandable, but f*** that piece of s*** fedorov

Tell us how you really feel.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#24 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

Excuse me but they are all Wings alumni.  Why wouldn't they be invited to participate, especially Yzerman?  Why would it matter he's part of the Bolts organization?  It would  be whether or not he's able to participate.

They can invite whoever they want.  I just don't see why fans think this is some kind of special event that former players should feel some kind of obligation to attend.  The "Winter Classic" is just a regular season game, created by Bettman and Company and any specialness to the game was totally destroyed by scheduling a gazillion other outdoor games.  Alumni games go on all the time.  I don't know why anyone would be excited or annoyed by anyone attending or not attending the event.  I think when asked previously about the Winter Classic, Yzerman replied with something to the effect of I'm the GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning. 

#25 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

Looks like there's still a chance Steve and Sergei might also play. Sure hope so. How epic would that be? Would probably be more pumped for the Alumni game than the actual Winter Classic game LOL

http://www.mlive.com...ng_to_conv.html

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings, 20 September 2013 - 06:35 PM.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#26 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

Title of my email today

"Lidstrom Returns to the Ice"

what a tease.... Thought he came out of retirement
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#27 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Would love to see Sergei lace em up for this. :P However not disappointing nor surprising that Lids will lace em up for the alumni game as being the BIG news of the day. 

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 20 September 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#28 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

Looks like there's still a chance Steve and Sergei might also play. Sure hope so. How epic would that be? Would probably be more pumped for the Alumni game than the actual Winter Classic game LOL

http://www.mlive.com...ng_to_conv.html

I didn't really see anything in the story that would lead me to believe Yzerman was going to play.  It seemed more like wishful thinking on Holland's part.  I think Yzerman is a guy with a lot of pride and if he physically can't skate, I can see why he wouldn't want to attend.  I think, too, that he really, really wants to be seen as Steve Yzerman, successful GM, and not just rest on his laurels as a player.  It's what makes him Steve Yzerman.

Also, was it really necessary to point out that the likes of Konstantinov, Howe, etc weren't going to actually skate? 

#29 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

I don't know, I don't get the hoopla over the Alumni games.  I don't really care if any of these guys participate or not.  Last I heard, Yzerman had said he hadn't even had a pair of sakes on in like 3 years and this was a few years ago.  He's the GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning, a division rival of the Wings. Stevie, Sergei and Shanny have all moved on to other things.  Maybe the fans should too?

Nomination for worst post of the offseason.

#30 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,942 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

I didn't really see anything in the story that would lead me to believe Yzerman was going to play.  It seemed more like wishful thinking on Holland's part.  I think Yzerman is a guy with a lot of pride and if he physically can't skate, I can see why he wouldn't want to attend.  I think, too, that he really, really wants to be seen as Steve Yzerman, successful GM, and not just rest on his laurels as a player.  It's what makes him Steve Yzerman.

Also, was it really necessary to point out that the likes of Konstantinov, Howe, etc weren't going to actually skate? 

Yes don't Want to give some people false hope.

#31 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

Oh, for crying out loud, not this again?  False hope?  People really expect an 85 year old Gordie Howe with dementia to skate?  Or a 50 year old Konstantinov with a severe TBI is going to lace them up?  Seriously?

#32 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

I'd love to see Igor Larionov, Slava Kozlov and Slava Fetisov play one last game together.  I mean, gee, while we're under the wishing tree...

Posted Image

#33 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

Not all Wings fans are as tuned into the Wings as we are, i.e. not everyone who's going to read about the alumni game is going to know about Gordie Howe's condition (or that he's as old as he is) or Vladdy's condition, e.g. "Oh, has Konstantinov fully recovered? That's great! Wait, which one was in the wheelchair? Was that, what was his name, Kozlov? Wait, which ones were in the limo?"

Don't Toews me, bro!

#34 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

It'd be even better if he suited up for the actual game.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#35 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

It'd be even better if he suited up for the actual game.  

Good call. Im sure he could still kick some butt.

#36 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,942 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:48 AM

Not all Wings fans are as tuned into the Wings as we are, i.e. not everyone who's going to read about the alumni game is going to know about Gordie Howe's condition (or that he's as old as he is) or Vladdy's condition, e.g. "Oh, has Konstantinov fully recovered? That's great! Wait, which one was in the wheelchair? Was that, what was his name, Kozlov? Wait, which ones were in the limo?"

This. I am glad someone understands what I was referring to.

#37 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:06 AM

Dennis Polonich

Where are all the posts pointing out that 59 he'd still be the toughest guy on our roster?  LGW, I am disapoint :(

Edited by Nev, 21 September 2013 - 03:06 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#38 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

This. I am glad someone understands what I was referring to.

I don't see how giving false hope and clarifying for non Wings fans are even remotely related.  While it's plausible that it was being done for fans who aren't on top of things, it doesn't seem likely to me a non fan would be reading Ansar Khan's column in the first place.  Since the Winter Classic was announced, many fans on this board have said things like "Hey, maybe Vladdie will skate!"  I don't think pointing out the reality of his situation is dashing false hope any more than pointing out that there isn't going to be a Bruise Brothers reunion.

#39 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,942 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

I don't see how giving false hope and clarifying for non Wings fans are even remotely related.  While it's plausible that it was being done for fans who aren't on top of things, it doesn't seem likely to me a non fan would be reading Ansar Khan's column in the first place.  Since the Winter Classic was announced, many fans on this board have said things like "Hey, maybe Vladdie will skate!"  I don't think pointing out the reality of his situation is dashing false hope any more than pointing out that there isn't going to be a Bruise Brothers reunion.

Oh God it really bother's you that they put an asterisk next to the 5 guys names to clarify to won't be playing in the game doesn't it. Way to fixate on such a trivial thing... On a side note, anyone else angry that they needed to clarify that $1 hotdogs are not available at every game? I mean c'mon everyone should already know that why did they bother telling us...