• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

9/21 Pre-Season GDT : Boston Bruins at Red Wings, 7:00 EST

Rate this topic

Monster with a sore crotch, as per usual:

@AnsarKhanMLive: Babcock confirms Gustavsson injured groin. Expects him to miss about 2 weeks

Was at this game - This could be due to the fact that he had a nasty collision behind the net with Kyle Quincy. Sent Gus into a wicked spin. CHECK THE OTHER GUYS QUINCY!

Having attended the game, this was unfortunately a bit of a snoozer. Regardless, if anyone's interested in impressions...

The good:

-Weiss looked reasonably effective and saw ice time on both special teams. He is ridiculously good at retaining possession but came off as a puck hog and needs to make better decisions on when to pass.

-Jarnkrok looked great. Played a good north-south game and was visible.

-Ditto Nyquist. He has a knack for forcing the play and created some great chances. Drew a penalty after intercepting an aerial breakout pass and giving himself a mini-breakaway. Half the crowd was hollering for a penalty shot.

-Franzen was excellent. Made some very smart, cerebral plays and put in a good effort.

-Bert did fairly well in his scrap and wanted to go again with Caron later in the game. He maintained strong possession in the zone but made a very unfortunate gaffe that ended with the Wings taking a penalty. Bert hung on to the puck too long, and when he was stripped of it a 2-on-1 was created, which led to either Smith or Ouellet taking a penalty (I forget who).

-Sproul and Ouellet were very strong after their first couple of shifts and did not look out of place at all. Both certainly have the look of future players in the league. One of the two (couldn't tell) delivered a ridiculous hip check, which may have been the only good hit the Wings laid on the whole game.

-I did not notice Quincey and Lashoff much, which I consider a good thing.

-Dekeyser was strong and appeared to be the best defenseman the Wings dressed tonight.

-Both Wings goaltenders played well. Gus was effective but badly overplayed the first goal and injured his groin attempting to compensate. It's the sort of mistake I'd expect from someone who hasn't seen much game action in a while.

-Emmerton had a strong game. I'm starting to like him.

The bad:

-The entire team struggled badly with the Boston forecheck. Breakouts were bad. It brought back memories of the early going last season. This was particularly bad for the first 5-10 minutes of the game. Several breakout attempts landed directly on a Boston stick.

-The team didn't do a good job of getting pucks to the net. Johnson was not really challenged for long stretches. A number of opportunities came from the point, but mid- and low-slot chances were few and far between.

-The power play was dreadful.

-Smith was absolutely horrible. He was a stumbling, falling mess and turned the puck over a few times in the defensive end.

-Cleary was distinctly mediocre, but did put in a good effort.

-Something seems to have happened to Ferraro. He was having a good game until he took a BS penalty in the first, and I felt like he barely appeared the rest of the game.

-Andersson had zero luck. He had a couple of great opportunities that he couldn't put home.

-Jurco seemed a bit lost and outmatched.

Guest ForzaVerde

Having attended the game, this was unfortunately a bit of a snoozer. Regardless, if anyone's interested in impressions...

The good:

-Weiss looked reasonably effective and saw ice time on both special teams. He is ridiculously good at retaining possession but came off as a puck hog and needs to make better decisions on when to pass.

-Jarnkrok looked great. Played a good north-south game and was visible.

-Ditto Nyquist. He has a knack for forcing the play and created some great chances. Drew a penalty after intercepting an aerial breakout pass and giving himself a mini-breakaway. Half the crowd was hollering for a penalty shot.

-Franzen was excellent. Made some very smart, cerebral plays and put in a good effort.

-Bert did fairly well in his scrap and wanted to go again with Caron later in the game. He maintained strong possession in the zone but made a very unfortunate gaffe that ended with the Wings taking a penalty. Bert hung on to the puck too long, and when he was stripped of it a 2-on-1 was created, which led to either Smith or Ouellet taking a penalty (I forget who).

-Sproul and Ouellet were very strong after their first couple of shifts and did not look out of place at all. Both certainly have the look of future players in the league. One of the two (couldn't tell) delivered a ridiculous hip check, which may have been the only good hit the Wings laid on the whole game.

-I did not notice Quincey and Lashoff much, which I consider a good thing.

-Dekeyser was strong and appeared to be the best defenseman the Wings dressed tonight.

-Both Wings goaltenders played well. Gus was effective but badly overplayed the first goal and injured his groin attempting to compensate. It's the sort of mistake I'd expect from someone who hasn't seen much game action in a while.

-Emmerton had a strong game. I'm starting to like him.

The bad:

-The entire team struggled badly with the Boston forecheck. Breakouts were bad. It brought back memories of the early going last season. This was particularly bad for the first 5-10 minutes of the game. Several breakout attempts landed directly on a Boston stick.

-The team didn't do a good job of getting pucks to the net. Johnson was not really challenged for long stretches. A number of opportunities came from the point, but mid- and low-slot chances were few and far between.

-Smith was absolutely horrible. He was a stumbling, falling mess and turned the puck over a few times in the defensive end.

-Cleary was distinctly mediocre, but did put in a good effort.

-Something seems to have happened to Ferraro. He was having a good game until he took a BS penalty in the first, and I felt like he barely appeared the rest of the game.

-Andersson had zero luck. He had a couple of great opportunities that he couldn't put home.

-Jurco seemed a bit lost and outmatched.

Good report, brother. I am glad you took the time to write all that. Thanks.

I'm hoping all of this is on our captain and both alternates not being in the lineup. And the whole preseason-means-nothing thing.

Thanks for the report and welcome to the forum.

Hi all, newbie here :yahoo: Nice to be here in the midst of obviously devout fans!

Misha

Welcome to the forum, Misha.

Weiss looked pretty good but Franzen didn't want the puck and Cleary wasn't doing anything when he got it. There was a perfect play where Weiss fed the puck to Franzen and he immediately pushed it back to Weiss as Weiss was almost passing the goal. It made absolutely no sense to give it back to Weiss and it was immediately turned over. Nyquist and Andersson were pretty good, they seemed to still be in sync from the playoffs last season and got themselves a couple 2-on-1s but couldn't put it home.