• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

For those that don't know, this is what happened prior to the brawl. It has also been reported that Scott told Kessel he was going to jump him when they came together for the faceoff.

I have no problem with Kessel slashing Scott the first time, but the other times were not neccesary.

#22 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,563 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

I have no problem with what Kessel did to Scott, talk about a spot picker, no Orr or McLauren in the line-up and he tries to fight Kessel? Come on, anyone that is critical of what Kessel did would have no problem if Zetterberg or Datsyuk did it if Scott had come after them during a game, and hey were in the East now so there's no guarantee we won't see something stupid like this go down. 

Agreed.

The "code" pretty much gave star/skill players like Kessel a free pass - that is until he goes after a teammate, or starts to swing his stick first - then Kessel's free game to anyone who wants to pound lumps on him, but this was not the case...Scott went right after Kessel, and all he did was to defend himself; lucky for Scott that Kessel didn't swing at his head.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#23 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

couple of two handers to the ankles.... ***** move by kessel

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#24 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,563 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

couple of two handers to the ankles.... ***** move by kessel

Well - better his ankles than his head.

If what is being said is true (Scott telling Kessel that he'll get jumped just after the face off) - then I cannot blame Kessel for doing what he did...I mean c'mon - Kessel's already missing a   t e s t i c l e       :clown:

Edited by F.Michael, 23 September 2013 - 08:13 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#25 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

THIS is why we need Tootoo!

Scott shouldn't be going after Toronto's star player like that, on a side note Kessel acted like a little ***** about it though, kinda threw a temper tantrum slashing away at Scott then came back and speared him, no class there.

I like Toots, I want him to stay. We need him for the less talented games to create spark. But I don't think he would even think about going after Scott. 

Tootoo 5'9" 199lbs

Scott 6'8" 270lbs

What was Caryle thinking about butting Kessel out there after a bad fight and having last change. At least send Clarkson out with him for protection. Dumb dumb dumb!

Don't get me started with Kessel I think he is trying out for the Lumberjack world championships. Second time in pre-season he started chopping ankles. Although it would make a funny YouTube light saber video. 

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#26 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

True Scott going after Kessel was a dick move but come on Phil. At-least act like you've got a set of testicles (not a joke about his battle with cancer). Ive got more respect for Alex Semin playing the bongos than I do for Kessel. Running like a scared teenager while taking shots at someones ankles. Then he goes and starts jabbing him with his stick while Scott is being held by a teammate and a linesman. I really wish the linesman would have just let go at that point. Kessel would have deserved the beating. Dont poke bears with a stick unless your wiling to get mauled. Same goes for poking no talent goons.

#27 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

Why did Carlyle think that this was a good line match-up? 

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#28 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

"Because hes an idiot" -Mikhail Grabovski

#29 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

He said he was putting them out to let Buffalo know that there wasn't going to be any more trouble after the Davane/Tropp fight.

Carlyle's way of diffusing the situation?

Anyway, Davane and Tropp looked like wiling combatants, just unfortunate that Tropp hit his head on the ice.  No reason to send out Scott to "equalize."

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#30 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

You guys have lost it. Neither Dats or Z would of started it like Kessel did so that is a non factor. Kessel wants to run his mouth and do what he did without having anything kind of repercussions? Come on you guys if Crosby was doing this you all would be calling for his head and he is one of the greatest skilled players in the game now and is no where near a fighter. I think Kessel did a pretty pricky move by slashing scott about 10 times while scott was engaged with someone else. Again if it were Crosby I think things would be a bit different in this thread.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#31 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

Isn't swinging your stick an automatic suspension? So they could be without Clarkson and Kessel. Which is cool, because we have a home-and-home against them this week.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#32 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

Holy heck what craziness for a preseason game.  Good on Kessel.  

Scott is literally a giant goon and deserves a a BC two-hander for going after Kessel.  This wasn't an all out scrum on the ice where they ended up paired off.  He jumped him on the faceoff.  It's not like Kessel was giving him a facewash and acting like wanted to go.

There is no circumstance where someone like Phil Kessel should drop the gloves with John Scott, especially off a faceoff in a meaningless preseason game.  

Phil Kessel 6' 200 lbs.

John Scott 6'8" 270 lbs.  

Zetterberg isn't afraid to jaw and lay the lumber on guys.  Not a two hander like that but think of how he plays against Crosby and Toews.  If some goon the size of Scott had dropped the gloves and gone after Zetterberg I'm guessing there'd be a different perspective on what happened.  

And what spear do people keep talking about?  I see Kessel pushing Scott's hip at the end of the scrum, but I didn't see anything close to a spear. 

Welcome to Toronto Bernier.  Nice job in the fight against Miller.  

#33 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Again if it were Crosby you would be all for the beat down he had coming Harold and you know it. Kessel had no right after Scott was engaged to keep slashing period. 

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#34 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

You guys have lost it. Neither Dats or Z would of started it like Kessel did so that is a non factor. Kessel wants to run his mouth and do what he did without having anything kind of repercussions? Come on you guys if Crosby was doing this you all would be calling for his head and he is one of the greatest skilled players in the game now and is no where near a fighter. I think Kessel did a pretty pricky move by slashing scott about 10 times while scott was engaged with someone else. Again if it were Crosby I think things would be a bit different in this thread.

I'm not sure how you can say that Kessel started this, considering the circumstances of the game and the fact that Scott told Kessel he was going to jump him.

I don't agree with Kessel's second slash and his 'spear', but IMO he didn't start the altercation. He did fight, and bloody, a Buffalo player during the brawl, so it's not as if he ran away from everyone either. 

#35 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

John Scott, Colton Orr, Shawn Thornton, etc. = waste of a roster spot.

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Again if it were Crosby you would be all for the beat down he had coming Harold and you know it. Kessel had no right after Scott was engaged to keep slashing period. 

Nope. 

If it were Crosby I would still think Scott was a goon that had no business jumping Crosby on a faceoff.

Scott started something idiotic.  He plays 6 minutes a night and is a giant goon.  He deserved everything coming to him for jumping Kessel off the faceoff.  You just don't do that as an enforcer. And I'm not even a Kessel fan. 

In a perfect world Scott would get a 10 game suspension and Kessel would get a fine.

I'm not sure how you can say that Kessel started this, considering the circumstances of the game and the fact that Scott told Kessel he was going to jump him.

I don't agree with Kessel's second slash and his 'spear', but IMO he didn't start the altercation. He did fight, and bloody, a Buffalo player during the brawl, so it's not as if he ran away from everyone either. 

Exactly.  Kessel did drop the gloves and go.  But it would've been insane for him to fight Scott.

#37 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

The NHL isnt in 1943 right now. Phil Kessel looks like a big vajyna slashing away like that. Racki vs. Youngblood? Come on. You dont have to drop em and take a beating, but you cant start weedwacking. Just bear hug / turtle until teammates and refs arrive. Then noone gets hurt and noone gets suspended.

#38 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

Nope. 

If it were Crosby I would still think Scott was a goon that had no business jumping Crosby on a faceoff.

Scott started something idiotic.  He plays 6 minutes a night and is a giant goon.  He deserved everything coming to him for jumping Kessel off the faceoff.  You just don't do that as an enforcer. And I'm not even a Kessel fan. 

In a perfect world Scott would get a 10 game suspension and Kessel would get a fine.

Exactly.  Kessel did drop the gloves and go.  But it would've been insane for him to fight Scott.

Whatever. He didn't deserve the slashes period even if he is a goon. And I really think this whole thread would be going differently if it were Crosby. I don't care what you say on that. 

What!?!? Really??  What did Scott do to get 10 games again? 10 games for what!? Breaking some player code that half of these fake skilled tough guys apparently don't even live up to themselves? Kessel apparently was fine to fight someone in there. He dropped his gloves. He was no saint on the ice there. 

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#39 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

Kessel's first slash: admirable

Further slashes/spears: unnecessary but understandable

#40 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

Whatever. He didn't deserve the slashes period even if he is a goon. And I really think this whole thread would be going differently if it were Crosby. I don't care what you say on that. 

What!?!? Really??  What did Scott do to get 10 games again? 10 games for what!? Breaking some player code that half of these fake skilled tough guys apparently don't even live up to themselves? Kessel apparently was fine to fight someone in there. He dropped his gloves. He was no saint on the ice there. 

Exactly.

Kessel: I'll kick all your asses.

Buffalo Coach: Scotty, go give Kessel what he wants.

Scott: OK, Phil. You got your wish.

Kessel: No No No! (Slash slash)

I bet it went down just like that.