• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,879 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

Holland may have said that Tootoo would be ready to go for game one, but it doesn't sound like he said anything about which team he'll be playing for when that game comes.

Shh.  Let me have my fantasies.

#22 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

You guys got me excited, I was hoping for something a little more concrete :)

#23 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

As long as Helm's out, they don't need significant cap relief.  The Wings will only be ~$200k over the cap with him on LTIR.  If Eaves is out on LTIR too to start the season, Kenny's got to move at least one player off the roster that will clear that $200k.  That player can't be Sammy since his cap relief if he ends up in GR is only $100k.  Looking more & more to me like Nyquist starts the season in the minors unless Kenny pulls a rabbit out of his hat. 

Edit to correct: If Eaves is out for a few weeks on LTIR, that actually solves the Wings cap issue & Kenny can move anyone, even Sammy, down to GR.  Too early in the morning for me to work numbers I guess.  Still think it ends up being Nyquist on the short end of the stick though.

I agree even though goose has proven more in the preseason than Sammy has since he was signed.

#24 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

If anyone thinks Tootoo  would be a deterrent for any team doing to the Wings what happened in Toronto last night are really just kidding themselves. Lets be honest. Tootoo is willing to go with anyone in the league but hes far from what I would consider a heavyweight. There are very few guys in the league if any now that make players worried about running someone else. Guys like Probie and Kocur were deterrents. Tootoo isn't even at the McCarty level of an enforcer and even with McCarty Lids, Yzerman, and other Wings still got ran. Hell his best friend got ran into the boards and broke his cheek right in front of him. Having someone willing to fight means nothing in terms of injury prevention in the NHL these days. 

As for Tootoo himself I am generally a fan of his. I love the energy he brings to every shift. I just wish he was better hockey player. I wish he was a better skater, scorer, and passer so there would be no excuses to sit him but alas he is a fringe NHL player at best when it comes down to the skills of the game. Anything out of Hollands mouth is pure "GM speak". He might be fully trying to move Tootoo right now but will still say he expects to have Tootoo in the lineup. He probably has a general idea of what he wants to do in the next 7 days but in truth he has no idea how the roster moves end up will going. He might be forced to keep Tootoo so he wouldnt want to crush a guys confidence by coming out and saying hes actively trying to move him. 

#25 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

As long as Helm's out, they don't need significant cap relief.  The Wings will only be ~$200k over the cap with him on LTIR.  If Eaves is out on LTIR too to start the season, Kenny's got to move at least one player off the roster that will clear that $200k.  That player can't be Sammy since his cap relief if he ends up in GR is only $100k.  Looking more & more to me like Nyquist starts the season in the minors unless Kenny pulls a rabbit out of his hat. 

Edit to correct: If Eaves is out for a few weeks on LTIR, that actually solves the Wings cap issue & Kenny can move anyone, even Sammy, down to GR.  Too early in the morning for me to work numbers I guess.  Still think it ends up being Nyquist on the short end of the stick though.

Moving sammy down doesn't solve cap problem he is over 35 and his salary still counts against the cap
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#26 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

Moving sammy down doesn't solve cap problem he is over 35 and his salary still counts against the cap

If both Eaves & Helm are out on LTIR, as stated in my edit, yes it does solve the cap problem.  The Wings are currently a little under $2.4m over the cap & you can take Helm's $2.125m & Eaves' $1.2m cap hits off the books if they both start the season on LTIR.  Last time I checked 2.125+1.2>2.4.  That would actually put the Wings $937k below the cap limit & buys Kenny some time to solve the cap issue until either Helm or Eaves comes back.  That also means if he moves Sammy to GR, they get additional cap relief of $100k so they would then be $1.03m below the cap.  And as I said before, I still don't have much confidence that it plays out that way & think there's a pretty good chance that Nyquist proves to be the odd man out because he is still waiver exempt.

Edit:  I think depending on whether the Wings have players go on regular IR, like if Tootoo isn't ready for the start of the season but doesn't need the full LTIR (10 games/24 days), that reduces the roster spot he takes up but his salary cap still counts.  So there's a chance that the Wings won't have to make any roster moves if Helm & Eaves are LTIR & Tootoo is on regular IR to start the season.  If that does happen though & Nyquist starts the season with the big club, he'll be in Detroit the entire season.

Edited by ogreslayer, 23 September 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#27 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

If both Eaves & Helm are out on LTIR, as stated in my edit, yes it does solve the cap problem.  The Wings are currently a little under $2.4m over the cap & you can take Helm's $2.125m & Eaves' $1.2m cap hits off the books if they both start the season on LTIR.  Last time I checked 2.125+1.2>2.4.  That would actually put the Wings $937k below the cap limit & buys Kenny some time to solve the cap issue until either Helm or Eaves comes back.  That also means if he moves Sammy to GR, they get additional cap relief of $100k so they would then be $1.03m below the cap.  And as I said before, I still don't have much confidence that it plays out that way & think there's a pretty good chance that Nyquist proves to be the odd man out because he is still waiver exempt.

Edit:  I think depending on whether the Wings have players go on regular IR, like if Tootoo isn't ready for the start of the season but doesn't need the full LTIR (10 games/24 days), that reduces the roster spot he takes up but his salary cap still counts.  So there's a chance that the Wings won't have to make any roster moves if Helm & Eaves are LTIR & Tootoo is on regular IR to start the season.  If that does happen though & Nyquist starts the season with the big club, he'll be in Detroit the entire season.

Unless they are dumb enough to trade him, in order to keep the useless slugs around (sammy, Cleary) damn Kenny's loyalty sometimes.  :crybaby:

#28 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,666 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

good cause the wings need an enforcer in the east and i think he could have been huge in the playoffs

I'm glad he's staying, but he's not really an enforcer, especially against the bigger guys.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#29 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

I'm glad he's staying, but he's not really an enforcer, especially against the bigger guys.  

He may not be an enforcer but if we didn't have him we would be one wimpy team.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#30 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,666 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

He may not be an enforcer but if we didn't have him we would be one wimpy team.

You mean Ericsson, Smith, Abdelkader, Bertuzzi and Quincey won't be enough to handle Boston, Ottawa and Toronto in the physicality department?  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 23 September 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#31 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

You mean Ericsson, Smith, Abdelkader, Bertuzzi and Quincey won't be enough to handle Boston, Ottawa and Toronto in the physicality department?  

Those guys play regular shifts, can actually play hockey, and some of them are vital to the team's success. Give me more Orr's and Parros' plz. More 3 minute, non playoff hockey playing, pugilist gods.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#32 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,666 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

Those guys play regular shifts, can actually play hockey, and some of them are vital to the team's success. Give me more Orr's and Parros' plz. More 3 minute, non playoff hockey playing, pugilist gods.

I agree.  I want to see guys whose stats read like 65GP, 1G, 1A, 312PIM.

Hockey used to be more fun.   :turn:

#33 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

With Eaves, Helm, and Gustavsson probably going on LTIR, Tootoo doesn't need to be trimmed right now. To consider this affirmation of his acquisition of a long-term roster spot would be a bit rash. He's the most expendable member of the team at present, especially as he'll very possibly be claimed on waivers.

#34 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:33 AM

With Eaves, Helm, and Gustavsson probably going on LTIR, Tootoo doesn't need to be trimmed right now. To consider this affirmation of his acquisition of a long-term roster spot would be a bit rash. He's the most expendable member of the team at present, especially as he'll very possibly be claimed on waivers.

Gustavsson wouldn't matter, we would have to bring mrazek up to be backup so that wouldn't open up a spot anyway

#35 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

All I know is if we don't keep Tootoo, then these guys better learn how to defend themselves.

#36 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

Unless they are dumb enough to trade him, in order to keep the useless slugs around (sammy, Cleary) damn Kenny's loyalty sometimes.  :crybaby:

Holland has no loyalty to Samuelsson, as is evident by the fact that only an injury saved the latter from a buyout.

Gustavsson wouldn't matter, we would have to bring mrazek up to be backup so that wouldn't open up a spot anyway

Yeah, good point.

#37 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Holland has no loyalty to Samuelsson, as is evident by the fact that only an injury saved the latter from a buyout.

Yeah, good point.

As far as I know he never even tried. Maybe he assumed Sammy would try that but his agent even said he was never approached about a buyout

#38 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,019 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

As far as I know he never even tried. Maybe he assumed Sammy would try that but his agent even said he was never approached about a buyout

LIES

Edited by Dabura, 24 September 2013 - 12:09 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#39 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,666 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

It's a shame, because he's probably the least expendable 4th liner, in terms of similar type players on the roster (there are none).

To me, guys like Sammy/Miller/Eaves are more expendable, since they can be cancelled out by other guys like them.

#40 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

It's a shame, because he's probably the least expendable 4th liner, in terms of similar type players on the roster (there are none).

To me, guys like Sammy/Miller/Eaves are more expendable, since they can be cancelled out by other guys like them.

I said the same thing but some folks think that Miller and Eaves are superstars that can;t be replaced on the PK

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY