• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
amato

blues sign morrow - 1 year, $1.5 mill

Rate this topic

This was the first thing i thought too.

His knees work... He doesn't trip over the blue line when he enters the zone...

Killer deal.

Morrow is still slow, even if his knees are in working condition.

2013 playoffs:

Morrow - 14 G, 2 G, 2 A

Cleary - 14 G, 4 G, 6 A

I like Morrow, but I would rather have Cleary for the respective contracts and if we aren't factoring in I wouldn't want either given the Wings' current roster situation.

2013 playoffs:

Morrow - 14 G, 2 G, 2 A

Cleary - 14 G, 4 G, 6 A

I like Morrow, but I would rather have Cleary for the respective contracts and if we aren't factoring in I wouldn't want either given the Wings' current roster situation.

Was Morrow playing top six minutes for Pittsburgh?

2013 playoffs:

Morrow - 14 G, 2 G, 2 A

Cleary - 14 G, 4 G, 6 A

As others have pointed out Cleary's points were the flukey kind that its hard to draw any conclusions about.

As others have pointed out Cleary's points were the flukey kind that its hard to draw any conclusions about.

I don't buy that argument. How do you define flukey points or is it only suitable in the context arguing against a player many people dislike?

Cleary outperformed Morrow and many of his other Red Wings teammates in the playoffs. Again, I would rather have neither player but given the contracts, I will take Cleary. The grass is always greener, but Morrow is very slow too.

Yeah, just because you and others point it out, doesn't necessarily make it fact. I decided to take another look at it and judge for myself.....

4/30 - Jakub Kindl shot deflects off of Cleary into the net. Cleary did not purposefully deflect the shot, but he was in good position in front of the net. Just as "flukey" of a point for Kindl and Eaves.

5/2 - Dan Cleary has secondary assist on Nyquist's game-winning OT goal to beat the Ducks in Game 2. Good work in the corner to retrieve the puck and a nice pass to Filppula. Not a fluky point at all. We might not have won the game without it.

5/6 - Cleary has primary assist on Brendan Smith's goal. Good pass from the corner below the goal line to the point. Not fluky.

5/10 - Abdelkaer shot deflects off of Cleary into the net. Cleary is in perfect position screening the goaltender. I don't consider this fluky, as so many goals are scored this way in today's NHL, but some may..... they should also consider SO many Tomas Holmstrom goals "fluky" as well, though.

5/12 - Cleary has primary assist on (what ends up being) the GWG in game 7 by Flip. This one might be a little fluky as Cleary redirects the puck from Zetterberg to Flip and it is hard to tell if this is exactly what he meant to do.

5/18 - Cleary has secondary assist on Smith goal. Cleary passes the puck up the boards in the neutral zone to Z, who does most of the work. Not sure I'd call it fluky, as many assists are exactly this, but certainly not mind-blowing,

5/23 - Cleary seals win in Game 4 with the empty netter. No goaltender, obviously, but he does shoot it through Duncan Keith from the top of the circle. Certainly not a worthless goal in a 2-0 win with 40 seconds left.

5/25 - Cleary scores on a rebound from a Zetterberg shot. Doesn't seem fluky to me - quick reaction, pretty tough angle, Frolik trying to hook his hands. Cleary also started the play out passing the puck to Zetterberg entering the zone.

5/27 - Cleary has secondary assist on Brunner goal. Somewhat pedestrian pass to Zetterberg, who sets up Brunner's one timer. Again, nothing really special..... but not really fluky either.

5/29 - Cleary passes the puck off the boards, around a defender to Nyquist, who sets up Zetterberg's goal. Not fluky imo.... pretty solid play.

Summary: Goals - One pretty fluky goal, although Cleary was in a good spot for good thing to happen, one deflection screening the goalie (excellent screen), one empty netter (an important one... not the easiest, not the hardest), one clearly solid goal.

Assists - One potentially fluky assist, two somewhat pedestrian secondary assists, and three pretty solid assists.

I was bored. Disagree if you like.