• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

cusimano_brothers

Report: NHL to have 5 outdoor games in 2014-15.

Rate this topic

I don't see the point in putting these games in warm climates. It's an even more gimmick than putting it in a traditional market. The need for 3 games is just rubbish as well, completely destroys the purpose of the winter classic. oh well

Breaking News: NHL to have full season + playoffs outdoors in 2024-2025. :bye:

Report: The Sharks, Kings, Panthers, Lightnings, Ducks, Stars and so on, will play half the season on rollerblades.

Edited by Marxx71

I don't see the point in putting these games in warm climates. It's an even more gimmick than putting it in a traditional market. The need for 3 games is just rubbish as well, completely destroys the purpose of the winter classic. oh well

That's what I was thinking as well. The LA/ANA game peaked my interest the most out of all the Stadium Series games this year, just because I wanted to see how it would go. Now that I've seen I don't care anymore. I think part of the spectacle is the snow and cold and people sitting through it to watch the game. The Winter Classic this year was unreal for that, I just wish I could go back and do it again!

Yeah I'm sure it really sucked at the big house because there were 2 other outdoor games going on that season.

Sarcasm off: I know the default reaction is "omg bettman sucks!" but having a few more per year so many more fans can enjoy the surely amazing in-person experience and potentially grow the sport is nothing but good. It's a little bit of a bummer that it makes the winter classic less special, but it doesn't nearly ruin it.

Winterclassic is the real deal, although the NHL managed to even destroy that. Thanks to the Leafs and Redwings plus the big house it wa awesome this year but nothing will come close to that so I don't care about the WC next year. Having it every year is too much

The stadium series is just a rip off to push a certain idea in a non hockey climate...

Edited by frankgrimes

Guest DeGraa55

As a fan you say this. But when the NHL sells out each game they're going to keep doing it. And using the wings as an example we might get one every 3 years or more maybe? So it adds specialness to each teams fan base.

Last time I've looked I found out Brasil has a worldcup going somewhere in July maybe we can have a brasil classic next...

I think part of the WC flair has always been the outdoor conditions and going back to your earliest childhood memories in terms of snow, weather and difficulties. The NHL is running the risk or ruining the former Star and turning it into a cashcow. Have the big one every two years and make it more about the sport itself than all that bohowaboho event styled "main event" this isn't the WCW.

Guest Playmaker

Everyone can criticize Bettman all they want. But the fact is, the ratings for the NHL have never been better. The owners are making money. He's done his job and done it well. Like him or not.

Everyone can criticize Bettman all they want. But the fact is, the ratings for the NHL have never been better. The owners are making money. He's done his job and done it well. Like him or not.

Link?

Because the sources I found name the last few years as the best ratings since 1975.

I don't understand why people rush to defend Bettman by pointing out how much money he's made owners. Who cares?? I don't own a franchise. I'm a fan of the game. Bettman succeeds because he knows us die hard hockey fans will keep coming back no matter how many reasons he gives us not to.

People seem to have a misconception that the Commissioner's only job is just to make a crapload of money for ownership. It's not. It's also to protect the integrity of the game and uphold public confidence in the league.

By that measure Bettman has done a terrible job.

Link? Because the sources I found name the last few years as the best ratings since 1975. I don't understand why people rush to defend Bettman by pointing out how much money he's made owners. Who cares?? I don't own a franchise. I'm a fan of the game. Bettman succeeds because he knows us die hard hockey fans will keep coming back no matter how many reasons he gives us not to. People seem to have a misconception that the Commissioner's only job is just to make a crapload of money for ownership. It's not. It's also to protect the integrity of the game and uphold public confidence in the league. By that measure Bettman has done a terrible job.
Thank you I think a lot of people aren't even reading the full description of a commissioner's job. Owners making money has come from the explosion of HD + FULL HD TVs, mobile plattform and highspeed internet allowing things like streaming, official NHL services and a very loyal - more than in any other sport - niche fanbase. My confidence with the leagues front office has already been low but after the TV deal it's at an alltime low and I don't think it will be good for hockey.

Link?

Because the sources I found name the last few years as the best ratings since 1975.

I don't understand why people rush to defend Bettman by pointing out how much money he's made owners. Who cares?? I don't own a franchise. I'm a fan of the game. Bettman succeeds because he knows us die hard hockey fans will keep coming back no matter how many reasons he gives us not to.

People seem to have a misconception that the Commissioner's only job is just to make a crapload of money for ownership. It's not. It's also to protect the integrity of the game and uphold public confidence in the league.

By that measure Bettman has done a terrible job.

We do need healthy finances, revenues, etc. But, yes, there does need to be a balance. Gary has gone way over to the "money" extreme over the purity of the sport. I would be opposed to someone who cared nothing for finances just as much.

As for outdoor games or such, I would love to see (even just pre-season) an NHL team vs KHL hosted in the States or Canada. Like how the MLS does their All Star game when they bring in a Euro team. Outdoor games should be 1 or 2 at most a season. The best part is HBO's 24/7.

We do need healthy finances, revenues, etc. But, yes, there does need to be a balance. Gary has gone way over to the "money" extreme over the purity of the sport. I would be opposed to someone who cared nothing for finances just as much.

As for outdoor games or such, I would love to see (even just pre-season) an NHL team vs KHL hosted in the States or Canada. Like how the MLS does their All Star game when they bring in a Euro team. Outdoor games should be 1 or 2 at most a season. The best part is HBO's 24/7.

I agreed with everything you said till hbo. I thought they did an awful job with the wings-Leafs winter classic.

From SportsNet Bay Area:

The San Jose Sharks are expected to host an outdoor game in the Bay Area next season, multiple sources have told CSNBayArea.com.

The venue has not been decided, but will either be AT&T Park in San Francisco, home of baseball’s Giants, or Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, where the NFL’s 49ers will begin play for the 2014 season. Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto is no longer thought to be among the options.

Uncle Gary lives by that quote regarding the definition of "insanity".

From TSN:

The Washington Capitals will be hosting the 2015 Winter Classic next season against the Chicago Blackhawks, according to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie.

McKenzie adds that while the venue for the Winter Classic in D.C. hasn't been finalized yet, the leading candidate is believed to be Nationals Park.

How original.....

This event has officially run its course.

My thoughts nearly too. It's absolute S*** that they keep recycling the same teams. They could have had the Lightning and marketed it as Stamkos/Ovechkin but no. They've gone with the Hawks who have no rivalry or any intrigue with the Caps. Not even in the same damn conference!