Photo
- - - - -

Report: NHL to have 5 outdoor games in 2014-15.

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:09 AM

Gary Bettman is hot.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#42 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:55 AM

Link?    Because the sources I found name the last few years as the best ratings since 1975.    I don't understand why people rush to defend Bettman by pointing out how much money he's made owners.  Who cares?? I don't own a franchise.  I'm a fan of the game.  Bettman succeeds because he knows us die hard hockey fans will keep coming back no matter how many reasons he gives us not to.     People seem to have a misconception that the Commissioner's only job is just to make a crapload of money for ownership.  It's not.  It's also to protect the integrity of the game and uphold public confidence in the league.     By that measure Bettman has done a terrible job.  
Thank you I think a lot of people aren't even reading the full description of a commissioner's job. Owners making money has come from the explosion of HD + FULL HD TVs, mobile plattform and highspeed internet allowing things like streaming, official NHL services and a very loyal - more than in any other sport - niche fanbase. My confidence with the leagues front office has already been low but after the TV deal it's at an alltime low and I don't think it will be good for hockey.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#43 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

FWIW...

Report: NHL revenues to hit record $3.7-billion [The Globe and Mail]

Don't Toews me, bro!

#44 STL-Wings

STL-Wings

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

Link? 

Because the sources I found name the last few years as the best ratings since 1975. 

I don't understand why people rush to defend Bettman by pointing out how much money he's made owners.  Who cares?? I don't own a franchise.  I'm a fan of the game.  Bettman succeeds because he knows us die hard hockey fans will keep coming back no matter how many reasons he gives us not to.  

People seem to have a misconception that the Commissioner's only job is just to make a crapload of money for ownership.  It's not.  It's also to protect the integrity of the game and uphold public confidence in the league.  

By that measure Bettman has done a terrible job.  

We do need healthy finances, revenues, etc.  But, yes, there does need to be a balance.  Gary has gone way over to the "money" extreme over the purity of the sport.  I would be opposed to someone who cared nothing for finances just as much.

As for outdoor games or such, I would love to see (even just pre-season) an NHL team vs KHL hosted in the States or Canada.  Like how the MLS does their All Star game when they bring in a Euro team.  Outdoor games should be 1 or 2 at most a season.  The best part is HBO's 24/7.

#45 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

We do need healthy finances, revenues, etc.  But, yes, there does need to be a balance.  Gary has gone way over to the "money" extreme over the purity of the sport.  I would be opposed to someone who cared nothing for finances just as much.

As for outdoor games or such, I would love to see (even just pre-season) an NHL team vs KHL hosted in the States or Canada.  Like how the MLS does their All Star game when they bring in a Euro team.  Outdoor games should be 1 or 2 at most a season.  The best part is HBO's 24/7.

I agreed with everything you said till hbo. I thought they did an awful job with the wings-Leafs winter classic.

#46 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

From SportsNet Bay Area:

The San Jose Sharks are expected to host an outdoor game in the Bay Area next season, multiple sources have told CSNBayArea.com.

The venue has not been decided, but will either be AT&T Park in San Francisco, home of baseball’s Giants, or Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, where the NFL’s 49ers will begin play for the 2014 season. Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto is no longer thought to be among the options.

Uncle Gary lives by that quote regarding the definition of "insanity".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#47 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:17 AM

From SportsNet Bay Area:

Uncle Gary lives by that quote regarding the definition of "insanity".

I can see the Winter Classic, shaking with anxiety after being traumatised by last years events……'put me in a traditional market, please.'

temp 1

#48 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

From TSN:

The Washington Capitals will be hosting the 2015 Winter Classic next season against the Chicago Blackhawks, according to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie.

McKenzie adds that while the venue for the Winter Classic in D.C. hasn't been finalized yet, the leading candidate is believed to be Nationals Park.

#49 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

From TSN:

How original.....

This event has officially run its course. 

Posted Image

#50 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

How original.....

This event has officially run its course. 

My thoughts nearly too. It's absolute S*** that they keep recycling the same teams. They could have had the Lightning and marketed it as Stamkos/Ovechkin but no. They've gone with the Hawks who have no rivalry or any intrigue with the Caps. Not even in the same damn conference! 

temp 1

#51 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

My thoughts nearly too. It's absolute S*** that they keep recycling the same teams. They could have had the Lightning and marketed it as Stamkos/Ovechkin but no. They've gone with the Hawks who have no rivalry or any intrigue with the Caps. Not even in the same damn conference! 

I'm sure NBC can do one of their "famous" rivalry nights and create another fake rivalry between Ovechkin/Kane/Toews.

But like others have said this event has so run it's course it's not even funny and they certainly won't top last year. What the hell have the caps done to deserve another one and seriously the Blackhawks again? How about the Bolts versus Avs Stamkos versus MacKinnon, Duchene would have been an interesting one and the Bolts deserve to be in there.

If the league wants to create something thrilling and exciting again they should have gone with Boston -- Montreal or Montreal - Toronto.

Edited by frankgrimes, 20 June 2014 - 12:21 PM.

kftx.jpg

#52 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

As long as Ovie goes "Shea Weber" on Kane's face, I don't care what happens in this year's WC......and neither will anyone else.

#53 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

I still like the idea to stop selecting a hand full of teams to play in these outdoor games and just make the All-Star game the only one.

#54 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

I still like the idea to stop selecting a hand full of teams to play in these outdoor games and just make the All-Star game the only one.

What the NHL should be doing is really simple: unite the ASG with the WC and choose different cities. The event itself clearly has run it's course and from reading the Blackhawks forum even they aren't that thrilled about it but yet the NHL doesn't get it.

kftx.jpg

#55 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

People seem to have a misconception that the Commissioner's only job is just to make a crapload of money for ownership.  It's not.  It's also to protect the integrity of the game and uphold public confidence in the league.  

By that measure Bettman has done a terrible job.  

I would disagree with this. As long as the owners are happy, then Bettman is doing his job. Oftentimes the good of the game leads to better sales and more profit, so typically the integrity of the game etc etc is correlated with cash flow, and for those instances Bettman has done well (ie marketing, partnering with NBC instead of ESPN, etc). But if integrity of the game and upholding the public view or whatever else comes in conflict with extra $$$, the owners are leaning on the side of $$$, and it would behoove Bettman to follow suit. That's why we will continue to see a push into non traditional markets to try to reach out to an untapped fanbase, and more outdoor games even if it means whoring off what it really means to play hockey outside.
And the end of the day, I don't think anyone who has any real power is handing out checks to him (or even cares) for protecting the integrity of the game or upholding the public confidence in the league, so long as money is flowing.

#56 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

Now NBC knows when to start their coverage.