Photo
- - - - -

Report: NHL to have 5 outdoor games in 2014-15.

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Yeah, pretty much run its course.  I went to the WC last year, because it was the Wings and I said if there was ever one in Michigan I'd go, but if they had another I don't think I'd consider going.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#62 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

Now that I've been to a WC (SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY), I can officially declare that I couldn't possibly care less about their stoopid outdoor games. :lol:

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#63 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

NHL sold out on this one a long time ago

#64 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

I think it's a great idea and obviously fans of these teams do to. They deserve to get to experience it as well.

#65 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

I think it's a great idea and obviously fans of these teams do to. They deserve to get to experience it as well.

The fact that we were scheduled to have 2 WC's within 5 years of each other makes it lose its luster for me. When they first started I was like whoa best idea ever, so happy to be in one. Then it was like YEAH one in Michigan! Then, before the later even happened, it was like so every team is gonna do this every couple years and it's not special. It's cool yeah but I'd rather it be something special and exclusive that teams do every 30 years. Something like 1 WC each year and no dumb stadium stupids.

#66 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:15 AM

The fact that we were scheduled to have 2 WC's within 5 years of each other makes it lose its luster for me. When they first started I was like whoa best idea ever, so happy to be in one. Then it was like YEAH one in Michigan! Then, before the later even happened, it was like so every team is gonna do this every couple years and it's not special. It's cool yeah but I'd rather it be something special and exclusive that teams do every 30 years. Something like 1 WC each year and no dumb stadium stupids.

That's fine but from an business standpoint if they're making money. By having them in NBC and selling out the stadium. Why would the NHL not do it? At the end of the day it helps the teams and it helps the league. Now do they overdue it? Sure I agree with that. But while they continue to make money on them it's a terrible decision to stop having them.

#67 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

That's fine but from an business standpoint if they're making money. By having them in NBC and selling out the stadium. Why would the NHL not do it? At the end of the day it helps the teams and it helps the league. Now do they overdue it? Sure I agree with that. But while they continue to make money on them it's a terrible decision to stop having them.

I think in the short term they are, yes, going to make a lot of money. But they're destroying the novelty of the whole shabang by having so many so often, which is what made it cool and special to me. They managed to make the scheme dull for a lot of fans within an 8 year period. Whereas if they had show some restraint they probably could have kept me interested for decades.

#68 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

I think in the short term they are, yes, going to make a lot of money. But they're destroying the novelty of the whole shabang by having so many so often, which is what made it cool and special to me. They managed to make the scheme dull for a lot of fans within an 8 year period. Whereas if they had show some restraint they probably could have kept me interested for decades.

This is it for me as well.  It's nothing but a money grab right now, which is fine for right now, but I think they're losing money in the long run by overdoing it.  LA and Sharks elicits a big yawn from me for an outdoor game at this point.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#69 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:38 AM

This is it for me as well.  It's nothing but a money grab right now, which is fine for right now, but I think they're losing money in the long run by overdoing it.  LA and Sharks elicits a big yawn from me for an outdoor game at this point.

I've got to say that I agree also. The stadium series last year was just a money grabbing gimmick that completely destroyed the legitimacy of the winter classic. 

But even now the WC is getting devalued itself I feel by the constant rotation of only a few teams. Look at this years game. Chicago vs Washington. That isn't a rivalry whatsoever. They're not even in the same conference. WTF? It's about time they started having WC games in new venues with new teams. See Minnesota. 

temp 1

#70 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:15 AM

Exactly the NHL had  something unique and nice going and in typical manner they've destroyed it in  8 ! years. This thing could have gone on for decades unbelievable. LA and the Hawks have been involved last year, not even their fans are excited for this. Washington versus Chicago ? That's not even a rivalry it's nothing .

I thought the NHL wouldn't be stupid enough to ruin the WC after they've ruined the Allstar game should have known better...sad because a few years ago I've loved the event.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#71 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,415 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

Face it, it's all about the money.

#72 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

I wih they'd set something up like KHL all stars verse NHL all stars for the all star game.

Or khl all stars or champion verse the nhl champion.

#73 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

I wih they'd set something up like KHL all stars verse NHL all stars for the all star game.

Or khl all stars or champion verse the nhl champion.

That would be cool

I just doubt the KHL would agree to it because we would embarrass their league. Russia generally produces lackluster D-men and goalies.  

#74 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

That would be cool

I just doubt the KHL would agree to it because we would embarrass their league. Russia generally produces lackluster D-men and goalies.  

Ya it might be more fair to have khl all stars verse nhl champion.

#75 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

So it took how many seasons for the league to take a really unique and cool event and completely make it run of the mill?

pfft

What the hell do you know Harold?

Don't ya know?......Moar is bettah!!!

;)

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#76 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

pfft

What the hell do you know Harold?

Don't ya know?......Moar is bettah!!!

;)

Friend of mine who isn't into hockey asked me about the differences between the Winter Classic and Stadium series I told her one is a cash grab and the Stadium Series is a smaller cash grab, her response was so it's basically like euro and worldcups in soccer. Loved that response because it fits perfectly.

Are the players required to do the 24/7 or can they deny access to their homes ?

Edited by frankgrimes, 12 August 2014 - 07:57 PM.

kftx.jpg

#77 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

Are the players required to do the 24/7 or can they deny access to their homes ?

From the looks of the last 24/7 - I gotta be honest - it more or less sucked.

I'm certain players have the right to deny access, and wouldn't be too surprised if someone within an organization tells it's players to 'keep things civil' - you'll see what we had with the Wings/Leafs.

Truth be told - I really enjoyed the time spent with Kessel/Bozak...Best of the entire series.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#78 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

Thank you I did too both acted like just usual people. If I were a player I'd do the same thing without the organization having to tell me.you don't want to give the media too much stuff to talk about. I'm very sure Bowman has already told the players how to behave.overall though I agree they are going to use the Wings and Leafs as a benchmark. The best parry for me was seeing Babs absolutely unleashing on the team that was something else!

kftx.jpg