• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

So about ESPN and their hockey "knowledge"....

Rate this topic

Some of you wagged your finger at ESPN's Future Power Rankings thread.

Well here is your evidence for feeling that way:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9711933/nhl-hockey-prospectus-projections-2013-14-team-standings#comments

Wings are projected to finish 23rd overall with 88 points.

2013-14 NHL Team Projections Rk Team Pts 1 Pittsburgh Penguins 101 2 New York Rangers 97 3 Boston Bruins 97 4 Chicago Blackhawks 97 5 Ottawa Senators 96 6 St. Louis Blues 96 7 Edmonton Oilers 95 8 Montreal Canadiens 95 9 Philadelphia Flyers 94 10 Toronto Maple Leafs 93 11 Dallas Stars 92 12 Tampa Bay Lightning 92 13 Phoenix Coyotes 91 14 Washington Capitals 91 15 Carolina Hurricanes 91 16 Los Angeles Kings 91 17 Columbus Blue Jackets 91 18 Anaheim Ducks 91 19 New Jersey Devils 90 20 San Jose Sharks 90 21 Vancouver Canucks 89 22 New York Islanders 89 23 Detroit Red Wings 88 24 Winnipeg Jets 88 25 Colorado Avalanche 88 26 Nashville Predators 87 27 Buffalo Sabres 86 28 Calgary Flames 83 29 Minnesota Wild 83 30 Florida Panthers 80

"How did we come to these conclusions? Using a statistical projection engine called VUKOTA, which makes use of the goals versus threshold (GVT) metric. Described by creator Tom Awad as "GVT's most powerful descendant," VUKOTA projects a player's likely future based on the scoring of historically comparable players. It is named after former fringe NHL player Mick Vukota as a play on words of baseball's similar PECOTA system. Awad goes on to describe how it is used to also project the NHL team standings:

"Since team GVT is simply the sum of player GVTs, the sum of the VUKOTA GVT values on a team becomes our projection for the team's goal differential, and consequently, its win-loss record as well, since teams on average record one extra point in the standings for every three goals scored or prevented."

VUKOTA foresees a lot of parity in the middle class of the realigned NHL, but of particular interest is the
' projection of 88 points, which would leave them outside of the East's top eight teams.

Guest Crymson

That prediction is incongruous in more ways than one; not only does its conclusion vary greatly from ESPN's aforementioned power ranking for the team, it also ignores the fact that the Wings have gotten better since last season.

That prediction is incongruous in more ways than one; not only does its conclusion vary greatly from ESPN's aforementioned power ranking for the team, it also ignores the fact that the Wings have gotten better since last season.

Listen, man, they have a formula. Was it pulled out of their ass? Probably, but I don't see you coming up with any formulas to predict the future!!!!

Edited by unsaddleddonald

Listen, man, they have a formula. Was it pulled out of their ass? Probably, but I don't see you coming up with any formulas to predict the future!!!!

Using a series of complicated algorithms and sanctimonious ball joint bearings I have been able to successfully deduce that Dan Cleary will score 50 goals this season and be upwards of 78 points. Bargain signing for the wings!

Edit: the ball joint bearings will be in danos knees

Edited by Euro_Twins

It's a measurement based on how many goals all the players contribute, which is not a good way to measure our success. We are a relatively low scoring team and our wins were usually by a low goal differential. Teams that more regularly blow out the competition that have a similar record would be ranked higher even though our point totals would be similar.

That is if I'm understanding it right.

But... but... algorithms don't lie!

I was interested to read the entire article, but not interested enough to sign up for ESPN to have access to it.

We all agree ESPN sucks; why do we continue to beat our heads against this particular wall? I certainly don't need any further proof. When I start caring about World Poker Championships, then I'll tune into ESPN. Until then, I have FSD and TSN.

Guest ForzaVerde

I would bet my house the Wings make the playoffs this year. This is a 2-year rebuild and we are in year 2. They should excel this year and be poised for a nice playoff run, barring injuries.

Some of you wagged your finger at ESPN's Future Power Rankings thread.

Well here is your evidence for feeling that way:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9711933/nhl-hockey-prospectus-projections-2013-14-team-standings#comments

Wings are projected to finish 23rd overall with 88 points.

2013-14 NHL Team ProjectionsRk Team Pts 1 Pittsburgh Penguins 101 2 New York Rangers 97 3 Boston Bruins 97 4 Chicago Blackhawks 97 5 Ottawa Senators 96 6 St. Louis Blues 96 7 Edmonton Oilers 95 8 Montreal Canadiens 95 9 Philadelphia Flyers 94 10 Toronto Maple Leafs 93 11 Dallas Stars 92 12 Tampa Bay Lightning 92 13 Phoenix Coyotes 91 14 Washington Capitals 91 15 Carolina Hurricanes 91 16 Los Angeles Kings 91 17 Columbus Blue Jackets 91 18 Anaheim Ducks 91 19 New Jersey Devils 90 20 San Jose Sharks 90 21 Vancouver Canucks 89 22 New York Islanders 89 23 Detroit Red Wings 88 24 Winnipeg Jets 88 25 Colorado Avalanche 88 26 Nashville Predators 87 27 Buffalo Sabres 86 28 Calgary Flames 83 29 Minnesota Wild 83 30 Florida Panthers 80

"How did we come to these conclusions? Using a statistical projection engine called VUKOTA, which makes use of the goals versus threshold (GVT) metric. Described by creator Tom Awad as "GVT's most powerful descendant," VUKOTA projects a player's likely future based on the scoring of historically comparable players. It is named after former fringe NHL player Mick Vukota as a play on words of baseball's similar PECOTA system. Awad goes on to describe how it is used to also project the NHL team standings:

"Since team GVT is simply the sum of player GVTs, the sum of the VUKOTA GVT values on a team becomes our projection for the team's goal differential, and consequently, its win-loss record as well, since teams on average record one extra point in the standings for every three goals scored or prevented."

VUKOTA foresees a lot of parity in the middle class of the realigned NHL, but of particular interest is the
' projection of 88 points, which would leave them outside of the East's top eight teams.

Did something change in the way teams get points? 101 for the best team seems incredibly unlikely.

but were stopped short in the conference finals when the defensive system of the Boston Bruins neutralized their top lines. Their primary weakness in terms of skaters is a lack of depth, but that is likely to be overcome by their unrivaled top lines.

I'm pretty sure our top 6 could go toe to toe with theirs, not only that, Zetterberg has never had an issue shutting down Crosby's line...their lack of depth, lack of defence, and lack of solid goaltending is their issue not just their lack of depth... Two great lines, 5 average d-men, and a very mediocre bottom 6, and an average goalie, is not a winning combo come playoff time.