Photo
- - - - -

Petr Mrazek or Jonas Gustvsson

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Mrazek or Monster

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Who would you rather backup Jimmy this year?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

Jonas. Just because I want Petr to get A LOT OF starts in gr.

This.  And Mrazek will still probly get 5-10 starts for the Wings anyway given Gustavsson's injury history.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#22 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:34 AM

Mraz

#23 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:23 AM

I have very little faith in Gustavsson, the sooner someone replaces him the better.

As far as I can see the guy is going to loose his job this summer, unless something really magical happens nothing but a disappointment in Detroit. He should have never been signed Joey McDonald was a better backup to Howard and cheaper.

#24 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

Voted other. I think Mrazek should get another season in GR plus a few call ups. I dont like Gustavsson very much, so I would prefer someone else.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#25 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

I voted monster.

not because I like him better (I'm stoked for mraz) but, because 1. we're paying him no matter what, might as well play him. 2. I think he's better than he's shown so far in hockeytown. and 3. I think mraz would benefit from a little more AHL time. (he'll be up when monster's contract expires anyway)

also, if monster's injuries continue, that decision gets made automatically..  

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#26 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

I want to see Mrazek in net for the wings ever 4th game, but he should be in GR playing 3 out of every 4 games. 

#27 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

I said Jonas only because I think it would be better for Mrazek to get more ice time then bench time. Once Mrazek is the official backup I would hope for Babs to work them into a 1A-1B tandem (like we had with Hasek and Osgood) so Howie gets more rest and Mrazek gets more then  5 games per year

EDITED: But with "Glass Groin" Gus it looks like Mrazek will be the backup

Edited by The Secret, 25 September 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#28 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Monster, for the same reason already stated numerous times, give Mrazek time in GR, let him get ample run, nothing like sitting on the bench for 60 games to kill your mojo!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#29 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

I'm in the same boat as most here, for this year and possibly next, I say we go with monster as the backup and let petr get better in GR. After that Kenny needs to decide if we have a great 1-2 goalie group or get some needed depth in return.

#30 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

This exactly.  Need to read no further.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#31 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

Well, tbh, he did get a lot of starts last season and won a Calder Cup but it wouldn't hurt him to play at least one more season.  I suspect he'll be up a few times this season.

#32 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

Well, tbh, he did get a lot of starts last season and won a Calder Cup but it wouldn't hurt him to play at least one more season.  I suspect he'll be up a few times this season.

More than likely out of necessity not want, Monster will probably battle at least one injury this season.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#33 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

I like Mrazek.  A lot.  I think he's going to be a very good to great goalie, and I want to see him in a Wings uniform for a long time.  But not this year.  I'd rather he play 50-55 games in GR than 15-20 in Detroit.  Call him up occasionally for a spot start, yes.  Call him up if one of the Wings' goalies gets hurt.  And if Howard has to miss any games (knock on wood!!) then Mrazek takes over and Gustavsson remains the backup.  Next year, if Mrazek has another season like last year, he becomes the backup.  Over the length of Howard's contract, Mrazek should play more games each year, transitioning into the starter's role as Howard ages.

#34 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

Keep him in GR, a goalie of his potential needs to be a regular starter.

PS I believe he eats at his waiver exempt status whether he starts or rides the pine. 

Edited by Shaman, 26 September 2013 - 10:49 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#35 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:40 AM

Mrazek is already better than monster. Him being the starter in GR though will develop him more than sitting on the bench in Detroit right now. The best thing for young players is ice time. No matter where that is. No need to rush a good thing when we are already solid in net with Jimmy. Mrazek had a great first season in the pros. You don't want him having a sophomore slump in the NHL. That can sidetrack his progress.

Edited by GoalieManPat, 27 September 2013 - 04:42 AM.

#36 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

Mrazek is already better than monster. Him being the starter in GR though will develop him more than sitting on the bench in Detroit right now. The best thing for young players is ice time. No matter where that is. No need to rush a good thing when we are already solid in net with Jimmy. Mrazek had a great first season in the pros. You don't want him having a sophomore slump in the NHL. That can sidetrack his progress.

I hardly agree with that, Mrazek still hasn't shown what he can on an NHL level. Monster should have signed with the Stars, take advices from Lethonen and being developed slowly to the north american style, the Leafs sadly had to rush him because Toskala was horrendous.

The guy has all the talent in the world, I hope he can put it together soon and has a long succesful NHL carreer.

sent from a mobile device autocorrections errors are possible!

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#37 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:36 AM

If the game against Pittsburgh is any indication, Mrazek isn't better than Gustavsson yet. Mrazek let in several goals that were not at all the fault of the defense.

#38 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

I hardly agree with that, Mrazek still hasn't shown what he can on an NHL level. Monster should have signed with the Stars, take advices from Lethonen and being developed slowly to the north american style, the Leafs sadly had to rush him because Toskala was horrendous. The guy has all the talent in the world, I hope he can put it together soon and has a long succesful NHL carreer. sent from a mobile device autocorrections errors are possible!

What goalie have you been watching?

#39 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

What goalie have you been watching?

What goalie have you been watching? Mrazek has two NHL regular season performances under his belt, one of them very good and the other quite bad. His single preseason bout went poorly. This is performance typical of goalies who are talented but inexperienced; inconsistency is the hallmark of the majority of goaltenders in that category. Some youngsters can come in and play with excellence from the start, but they are rare.

#40 Naps137

Naps137

Dekes of a Datsyukian Nature

• 19 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

Mrazek.  I understand the arguement of getting him playing a ton of games in GR...but this kid is a quick study.

He's got the stuff he needs now. 

Jonas is a bust for us in my opinion.  I agree with St. Michael (the Red Wing)...let's have a lights out combo now!

ftdd.png

"I only want Detroit. I want to start and finish with one team. This team. Detroit." -Pavel Datsyuk