• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

9/25 Pre-Season GDT : Penguins 5 at Red Wings 1

Rate this topic

4th game for Weiss and still not a single point.

Very concerning to say the least.

Preseason.

who cares it's just pre season and the Pens are icing one of their better rosters. sent from a mobile device autocorrections errors are possible!

lol nice

@anthonyfenech: Babcock doesn't know anything about Abdelkader, he hasn't been in the medical room but this guy that just walked out said it's pretty bad.

Edit: @FSDwakiji: #RedWings Abdelkader has a cut to left hand, stitches likely .

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

@anthonyfenech: Babcock doesn't know anything about Abdelkader, he hasn't been in the medical room but this guy that just walked out said it's pretty bad.

Edit: @FSDwakiji: #RedWings Abdelkader has a cut to left hand, stitches likely .

If it's just a cut and a couple stitches, whatever, if it's something serious, that's not good at all

Guest ForzaVerde

I dont know about you guys, but Im ready for training camp Wings to start turning into end of last season Wings. I dont want to see us get smoke 6-0 opening night again because our players have only played hald the Preseason game and the Griffins have played the other half. Maybe this is a good way to keep guys fresh, but seems like we're not really fine tuning or gearing up for anything. Get the squad in there that's gonna play.

I dont know about you guys, but Im ready for training camp Wings to start turning into end of last season Wings. I dont want to see us get smoke 6-0 opening night again because our players have only played hald the Preseason game and the Griffins have played the other half. Maybe this is a good way to keep guys fresh, but seems like we're not really fine tuning or gearing up for anything. Get the squad in there that's gonna play.

We didn't have a preseason last year...

Applefritter fisticuffs. Looks like he may have hurt his hand. Thank you helmet rule.

Abby has himself to blame. You don't swing at a guy's head when he has a lid on. You grab the collar of the jersey so you can alternate jabs and tugs in order to knock him off kilter, while trying to grab the helmet with your free hand.

I actually like these quotes from Babs after this game.

The Detroit Red Wings didn't dress three of their top six forwards Wednesday, but the ones that played in the 5-1 preseason loss to Pittsburgh didn't impress coach Mike Babcock.

"For me, we needed some guys on the top end of this group to lead the way and that never happened,'' Babcock said.

"Without the leadership of (Niklas) Kronwall, Datsyuk and Zetterberg, it doesn't appear we have much driving the bus either, but you can say that about lots of teams around the league,'' Babcock said.

"You have to have the puck more than we did if you're going to have any fun out there,'' Babcock said. "They came in here with an NHL-looking team and we didn't have one. We still have to play so many games we have to spread our lineup out and we have so many guys hurt. We weren't deep enough, we didn't have the puck enough.''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/09/red_wings_mike_babcock_top-end.html

I think my favorite among those quotes was the "You can say that about lots of teams around the league." I hope he meant to say that the second unit is average (if not lesser) right now and that they have to be better if they want to be an elite team and not average with the other "lots of teams around the league."

Guest ForzaVerde

Whats the point without pur 3 highest paid players? Its just a practice at that point.

I want to be pissed about this, and I am, but let's be real here: this was a craptastic Wings roster against the Pens' regular-season lineup, minus only Paul Martin. And this was the Pens' final preseason game, so I can't even fault them for the roster.

Similarly, I want to be worried about Weiss, and I sort of am, but let's be honest: he was brought in to be a strong second-liner. That means not matching up against the opposition's best line, which he's had to do for, oh, I don't know, like, every friggin' game he's played so far. And he's had the services of only one of the two guys he's worked with in training camp, the other one being swapped with, like, Cleary or Bertuzzi or Abdelkader or something - and, again, he's had to make this Franzen (who doesn't care about the regular season and certainly doesn't give a rat's ass about the preseason) - Weiss - Filler thing work against the opposition's best. Which he wasn't brought in to do. And, of course, there's the whole learning curve thing. He's been a Panther for, what, ten years? And he's one of those blue-collar top-sixers that we're not really used to, i.e. he's not a Datsyuk or Zetterberg who can learn in three minutes what the average really good player needs five weeks to understand. (And, bottom line: the Panthers don't play anything remotely close to our puck-possession game. Unless I'm horribly mistaken.) Oh yeah, and it's just the preseason.

The big thing is, holy s***, stop getting injured. Then, holy s***, Babs can ice the real effing roster.

If Abdelkader is injured, I'm seriously going to scream.

Don't know if its been discussed already, but...

What the f*** was up with that puck drop on the Wings first pp?

IDK, but that was straight up BS, preseason or not. From what I could see it wasn't like Abby was dicking around, he was skating to the dot.

Guest Crymson

Don't know if its been discussed already, but...

What the f*** was up with that puck drop on the Wings first pp?

If a player isn't ready x number of seconds (I think it's ten) after the ref calls the faceoff, the ref can---on his own discretion---drop the puck anyway.

According to Khan, these are the lines from today's practice:

Zetterberg Datsyuk Abdelkader

Franzen Weiss Alfredsson

Cleary Andersson Bertuzzi

Miller Emmerton Samuelsson

Nyquist and Tatar wearing gray, so it appears they won't be playing on Friday. ("Youth movement" my ass.) I actually kinda like it because it gives us a little more size and snarl against a Leafs team that will probably do their best to rough us up. No sense subjecting two young studs to that.

I really, really, really, really, really hope we don't lose to the Leafs. Ever.

If a player isn't ready x number of seconds (I think it's ten) after the ref calls the faceoff, the ref can---on his own discretion---drop the puck anyway.

How many times do you see that happen? Just like the DoG penalty for faceoffs for having 2 guys waived off. Never ever ever happens, yet guys get waived off constantly, but never on the second time. Those refs and their face(off)-time

Johan Franzen-Stephen Weiss-Justin Abdelkader

Gustav Nyquist-Joakim Andersson-Tomas Tatar

Daniel Cleary-Riley Sheahan-Todd Bertuzzi

Drew Miller-Cory Emmerton-Mikael Samuelsson

Kyle Quincey-Brendan Smith

Danny DeKeyser-Xavier Ouellet

Adam Almquist-Brian Lashoff

Petr Mrazek (full game)

I would call this testing the "Worst Case Injury Scenario" plus it gives us a look at how our younger guys play against a full penguins line up.

- Get to see Nyquist and Tatar as a Top 6 against a legit Penguins Top 6. Tatar show!

- Ouellet was raved upon by Babcock and it allows us to determine our first call-up when we get injuries on Defense. I hope its Sproul or Ouellet

- Mrazek should be awesome to see against the Penguins without anything on the line it prepares him for back-up while Gus does Yoga to fix his groin

That bottom 6.....wow. Talk about spare parts, aside from Sheahan.

According to Khan, these are the lines from today's practice:

Zetterberg Datsyuk Abdelkader

Franzen Weiss Alfredsson

Cleary Andersson Bertuzzi

Miller Emmerton Samuelsson

Nyquist and Tatar wearing gray, so it appears they won't be playing on Friday. ("Youth movement" my ass.) I actually kinda like it because it gives us a little more size and snarl against a Leafs team that will probably do their best to rough us up. No sense subjecting two young studs to that.

I really, really, really, really, really hope we don't lose to the Leafs. Ever.

It's back to back games, I imagine Nyquist and Tatar will skate Saturday.

I liked Sheahan's compete level (said in Backcock's voice). Think he can be a player in a year or so.

If he works hard, and keeps at it, and puts one foot in front of the other, I think he could be our go to guy, but he has to want to work hard, and want to compete, and earn his spot. No one is guaranteed a spot on this roster, you have to come in and earn it every day on and off the ice, with or without the puck, or change your last name to cleary