• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#101 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

Don't know if its been discussed already, but...

What the f*** was up with that puck drop on the Wings first pp? 

#102 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

4th game for Weiss and still not a single point.

Very concerning to say the least. 

Preseason.  

who cares it's just pre season and the Pens are icing one of their better rosters. sent from a mobile device autocorrections errors are possible!

lol nice

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#103 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Out scored 5-1, out shot 37-17. Sweet!

Edited by T.Low, 25 September 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#104 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

@anthonyfenech: Babcock doesn't know anything about Abdelkader, he hasn't been in the medical room but this guy that just walked out said it's pretty bad.

Edit: @FSDwakiji: #RedWings Abdelkader has a cut to left hand, stitches likely .

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 25 September 2013 - 09:22 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#105 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

@anthonyfenech: Babcock doesn't know anything about Abdelkader, he hasn't been in the medical room but this guy that just walked out said it's pretty bad.

Edit: @FSDwakiji: #RedWings Abdelkader has a cut to left hand, stitches likely .

If it's just a cut and a couple stitches, whatever, if it's something serious, that's not good at all

#106 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

I dont know about you guys, but Im ready for training camp Wings to start turning into end of last season Wings. I dont want to see us get smoke 6-0 opening night again because our players have only played hald the Preseason game and the Griffins have played the other half. Maybe this is a good way to keep guys fresh, but seems like we're not really fine tuning or gearing up for anything. Get the squad in there that's gonna play.

#107 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

I dont know about you guys, but Im ready for training camp Wings to start turning into end of last season Wings. I dont want to see us get smoke 6-0 opening night again because our players have only played hald the Preseason game and the Griffins have played the other half. Maybe this is a good way to keep guys fresh, but seems like we're not really fine tuning or gearing up for anything. Get the squad in there that's gonna play.

We didn't have a preseason last year...

#108 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

Guess I'm not sorry I missed this game. Oh well is preseason over yet?

#109 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

Applefritter fisticuffs. Looks like he may have hurt his hand. Thank you helmet rule.

Abby has himself to blame. You don't swing at a guy's head when he has a lid on. You grab the collar of the jersey so you can alternate jabs and tugs in order to knock him off kilter, while trying to grab the helmet with your free hand.

#110 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

I actually like these quotes from Babs after this game. 

The Detroit Red Wings didn't dress three of their top six forwards Wednesday, but the ones that played in the 5-1 preseason loss to Pittsburgh didn't impress coach Mike Babcock.

"For me, we needed some guys on the top end of this group to lead the way and that never happened,'' Babcock said.

"Without the leadership of (Niklas) Kronwall, Datsyuk and Zetterberg, it doesn't appear we have much driving the bus either, but you can say that about lots of teams around the league,'' Babcock said.

"You have to have the puck more than we did if you're going to have any fun out there,'' Babcock said. "They came in here with an NHL-looking team and we didn't have one. We still have to play so many games we have to spread our lineup out and we have so many guys hurt. We weren't deep enough, we didn't have the puck enough.''

http://www.mlive.com...ck_top-end.html

I think my favorite among those quotes was the "You can say that about lots of teams around the league."  I hope he meant to say that the second unit is average (if not lesser) right now and that they have to be better if they want to be an elite team and not average with the other "lots of teams around the league."

#111 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,345 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:52 PM

Well that was a downer. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#112 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

Whats the point without pur 3 highest paid players? Its just a practice at that point.

#113 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:33 AM

How to represent a game in one picture?

13473879-mmmain.jpg

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#114 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,199 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

I want to be pissed about this, and I am, but let's be real here: this was a craptastic Wings roster against the Pens' regular-season lineup, minus only Paul Martin. And this was the Pens' final preseason game, so I can't even fault them for the roster.

Similarly, I want to be worried about Weiss, and I sort of am, but let's be honest: he was brought in to be a strong second-liner. That means not matching up against the opposition's best line, which he's had to do for, oh, I don't know, like, every friggin' game he's played so far. And he's had the services of only one of the two guys he's worked with in training camp, the other one being swapped with, like, Cleary or Bertuzzi or Abdelkader or something - and, again, he's had to make this Franzen (who doesn't care about the regular season and certainly doesn't give a rat's ass about the preseason) - Weiss - Filler thing work against the opposition's best. Which he wasn't brought in to do. And, of course, there's the whole learning curve thing. He's been a Panther for, what, ten years? And he's one of those blue-collar top-sixers that we're not really used to, i.e. he's not a Datsyuk or Zetterberg who can learn in three minutes what the average really good player needs five weeks to understand. (And, bottom line: the Panthers don't play anything remotely close to our puck-possession game. Unless I'm horribly mistaken.) Oh yeah, and it's just the preseason.

The big thing is, holy s***, stop getting injured. Then, holy s***, Babs can ice the real effing roster.

If Abdelkader is injured, I'm seriously going to scream.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#115 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

How to represent a game in one picture?

13473879-mmmain.jpg

his mother's soup helped his stride.

#116 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

Give Weiss and Alfie some time to get used to the Wings game. If their numbers aren't as high as usual for the first few weeks I wouldn't worry to much. Not every new player is a perfect fit right from day one.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#117 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

IDK, but that was straight up BS, preseason or not.  From what I could see it wasn't like Abby was dicking around, he was skating to the dot.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#118 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

If a player isn't ready x number of seconds (I think it's ten) after the ref calls the faceoff, the ref can---on his own discretion---drop the puck anyway.

#119 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,199 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

According to Khan, these are the lines from today's practice:

Zetterberg  Datsyuk  Abdelkader

Franzen  Weiss  Alfredsson

Cleary  Andersson  Bertuzzi

Miller  Emmerton  Samuelsson

Nyquist and Tatar wearing gray, so it appears they won't be playing on Friday. ("Youth movement" my ass.) I actually kinda like it because it gives us a little more size and snarl against a Leafs team that will probably do their best to rough us up. No sense subjecting two young studs to that.

I really, really, really, really, really hope we don't lose to the Leafs. Ever.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#120 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

If a player isn't ready x number of seconds (I think it's ten) after the ref calls the faceoff, the ref can---on his own discretion---drop the puck anyway.

How many times do you see that happen?  Just like the DoG penalty for faceoffs for having 2 guys waived off.  Never ever ever happens, yet guys get waived off constantly, but never on the second time.  Those refs and their face(off)-time

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid