Photo
- - - - -

Should we expect a slow start from Alfie?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Should we expect a slow start from Alfie?

No pre-season games for him yet so he can warm up for the regular season. We've seen slow starts before from players who have to deal with injuries before the season starts.

#2 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

yes

#3 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Between adjusting to a new team and missing pre-season with injury, I'd say definitely yes.

It'll pass, but not before LGW explodes.

#4 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Holland made an awful mistake signing him if he hasn't score at least 15 points in the first 10 games. End of story.

#5 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Holland made an awful mistake signing him if he hasn't score at least 15 points in the first 10 minutes. End of story.

Fixed it for you.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#6 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

Alfredsson is a veteran that was brought in for offense. I will expext him to produce.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#7 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Alfredsson is a veteran that was brought in for offense. I will expext him to produce.

What production are you expecting?  I think any expectations should be tempered...he'll be 41 very soon after all and has already declined quite a bit from a production perspective.

#8 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

I expect a slow start, but honestly as wings fans we are used to slow starts. Z is especially prone to not producing constantly until the  fifteen game mark. I would expect something similar for alfie. If from games 10-25 he hasn't started to produce offense ill be worried. Not until then. 

#9 maverick918

maverick918

Draftee

• 14 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

Same here. But I have to say I don't think it will happen with Weiss and Franzen. I hope it does but I dont think it will.

Think about it: 

Weiss: New, needs to learn the lingo.

Alfredsson: New, needs to learn the lingo

Franzen: Well its Franzen...

Playing with somebody like Pav or Z to learn the lingo. They might get it faster.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Zetterberg-Weiss-Alfredsson

Keep Alfie and Weiss together because I think its them that need to gel the most. Z and Pav play so well together though, it is a trade off to get the guys acclimated faster.

#10 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

I expect Alfie to be slow but clutch all year long.  Clutch being the main factor here obviously, many of our losses over the past few years could have gone either way so hopefully his poise will help...

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#11 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

He's a veteran and a proffessional so I'm not sure pre-season is hugely important for him. I do however expect him to be more important for us later in the season and in the playoffs if we make it. 

Not like we don't have depth enough for him to be given some slack if he doesn't light it up in the first 10-20 games. 

#12 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

line 2 will suck for a while. weiss alf and franzen. babcock will split up dats and z two weeks in.

#13 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

line 2 will suck for a while. weiss alf and franzen. babcock will split up dats and z two weeks in.

I don't think splitting Z and Pav is the first option. Moving Alfie up with them, putting Cleary/Sammy/Bert/Abby with Weiss & Franzen would probably the first change if it looks like the 2nd line won't work. 

Gotta give that line a chance though, they've barely played together. I think it could be a good line but it kinda depends on whether Franzen plays at 100% or 50%. 

#14 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

I don't think splitting Z and Pav is the first option. Moving Alfie up with them, putting Cleary/Sammy/Bert/Abby with Weiss & Franzen would probably the first change if it looks like the 2nd line won't work. 

Gotta give that line a chance though, they've barely played together. I think it could be a good line but it kinda depends on whether Franzen plays at 100% or 50%. 

The problem is that Franzen plays at 100%, 2% of the time. Alfie will start slow and to be honest I am not expecting that much from him. Not impressed with Weiss this far as well. The first 12 games will be interesting.

#15 SensViking

SensViking

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

Truthfully I'm not worried. Alfie is a warrior and I can't ever recall him starting out the season slowly. It's just my opinion but Alfie is the icing on the cake not the straw that will stir the Wings drink.

If he's tweaked his groin they will let him rest and work out-he always comes to camp in great shape- no need to work him like a rented mule. I'll bet #11 is reveling in not having to be the answer every night for the team and because of that look out!

Go Alfie!

#16 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:48 AM

What production are you expecting?  I think any expectations should be tempered...he'll be 41 very soon after all and has already declined quite a bit from a production perspective.

He was brought in to provide offense. If he doesnt Holland made a mistake. I expect 20 goals. I think he should still be good for that even at age 41.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#17 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,994 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

It's probably for the best that he's resting up. I mean, it's not like he's young, and it's not like the preseason really means anything. Not that I wouldn't like his line to click as soon as possible, but the guy's as professional, hard-working, competitive, etc. as they come, so I have faith that it'll all work out. Mind you, I don't necessarily have faith that the line itself is ever going to really click, and, should it come to that, Babs will of course have to find some way to remedy that. But, bottom line, I'm not worried about "Alfie." (I'm sorry, but it feels weird calling him that.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#18 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

Alfie went for 10g and 16a last year, I expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 20g and 30a from him this year.

Probably something closer to 15 and 40, I think with Franzen on that line they are going to struggle, I don't see anyone on the second line battling for pucks in the corners.

This is the role that Abby fills on the first line, the Wings really need a puck retrieval guy on each line.

However that means moving Franzen down to the third line, thus breaking up the youngsters on line 3, so I don't really like that idea either.

IF (huge IF) Franzen can be the Mule for a better part of this season, 70-80% of the time, then look out, that will be the most dangerous 2nd line in hockey.

If not, that line will probably be broken up, but if not separated, it will then be pretty pedestrian.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#19 SensViking

SensViking

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

Alfie went for 10g and 16a last year, I expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 20g and 30a from him this year.

Probably something closer to 15 and 40, I think with Franzen on that line they are going to struggle, I don't see anyone on the second line battling for pucks in the corners.

This is the role that Abby fills on the first line, the Wings really need a puck retrieval guy on each line.

However that means moving Franzen down to the third line, thus breaking up the youngsters on line 3, so I don't really like that idea either.

IF (huge IF) Franzen can be the Mule for a better part of this season, 70-80% of the time, then look out, that will be the most dangerous 2nd line in hockey.

If not, that line will probably be broken up, but if not separated, it will then be pretty pedestrian.

I am waiting on the edge of my seat for Alfie's regular season debut and I know this:

Alfie is a thinking man playing hockey not a dump it and hope someone else retrieves it guy. He is THE master at keep away. He's so responsible with the puck that he's not going to throw it into the corner and say oh well I hope someone retrieves that. He's going to play cat and mouse with that puck until he has options. Guys are going to play hard to get that pass from him and good things are going to happen. If he wanted to mentor other players he could have stayed in Ottawa so I'm going to believe.

#20 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

Looked good tonight. I'd love to keep Z and Dats together. Z is showing shades of his old sniping days when he scored 42 now that he is on the wing.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?