• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ForzaVerde

Bertuzzi Needs To Retire

Rate this topic

Guest ForzaVerde

Surprising how many people are pro-old, slow, and non-physical. I like young, fast, and physical.

Firstly, Tootoo is not an enforcer; no one is afraid of him.

Secondly, it's not that I - for my part - like old and slow and non-physical. If we could have Dustin Brown instead of Todd Bertuzzi, I'd make that swap in a fraction of a heartbeat. But guess what: we can't have Dustin Brown, period. We can't upgrade Bertuzzi. We're dealing with a Ken Holland-built roster, which means it's going to have more than its fair share of old, slow, and generally ineffective old-timers who probably should've called it quits a long time ago but didn't because they know Holland will give them work well into their sixties. Considering that, I think we're actually lucky to have Bertuzzi, because his size and snarl and (potential) physicality and incredible hands actually make him (potentially) quite valuable, relatively speaking.

10 years ago Bertuzzi was the premiere power forward in the world. Size, speed, hands, and grit.

He still has 3 of those qualities. You need people on the 3rd and 4th lines that can pass, score, and take the body. We aren't expecting 30 goals from him, but we are expecting him to play gritty hockey. Right now, from what I have seen, he is bringing snarl to the ice every shift. If he hustles instead of coasting around waiting for a pass I think he is an upgrade over both Sammy and Cleary, and at times is an upgrade over Franzen. Also, he doesn't take sh*t from the other team on the ice when they chirp at skill guys. When Weber threw Z's head against the boards, we all weren't saying, "Oh boy! Wait until Z gets back up and kicks his a** on the powerplay." No, all of a sudden, Bertuzzi was an enforcer to fans on the board. And guess what happened the next game less than 2 minutes in, even in a small scale, Weber had to answer. Against a bigger, stronger, and younger guy Bertuzzi did the job of a non-existant enforcer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqjn_AAO5A0

Until he can't skate at all or loses his ability to handle the puck, he is the best player we have in the bottom six.

Guest ForzaVerde

Firstly, Tootoo is not an enforcer; no one is afraid of him.

Secondly, it's not that I - for my part - like old and slow and non-physical. If we could have Dustin Brown instead of Todd Bertuzzi, I'd make that swap in a fraction of a heartbeat. But guess what: we can't have Dustin Brown, period. We can't upgrade Bertuzzi. We're dealing with a Ken Holland-built roster, which means it's going to have more than its fair share of old, slow, and generally ineffective old-timers who probably should've called it quits a long time ago but didn't because they know Holland will give them work well into their sixties. Considering that, I think we're actually lucky to have Bertuzzi, because his size and snarl and (potential) physicality and incredible hands actually make him (potentially) quite valuable, relatively speaking.

Im not anti Bert as a person or as a Red Wing development assistant. I just dont want to see him in the lineup at the expense of our youngsters. He doeant do anything they dont do.

Bertuzzi is the only player in the world that can compete in the NHL with one hand on his stick. Do you see Crosby walking people one handed? No. I believe Bert plays with this style as it frees an arm up so he can efficiently drop elbows to somebody's nose if needed.

If I was going to keep any of these older guys it would be Bert. He is a pretty smart passer and a big body who will still get physical when needed. You need a guy or two on a roster that you can plug in anywhere to make ends meet and hes a good guy for the job. Cleary and Sammy is who needs to go.

These threads always pop up and then completely disappear when Bertuzzi wins a couple of shootout games or beats somebody up. Like it or not he's staying, personally I like it.

Heck, every time a thread pops up bashing someone, it seems like they go on a tear. Let's hope Bert does the same.

The way he played last night looked to me like it had little to do with being paired with those guys. It looked to me like his back was still pretty badly f***ed up. He usually uses his strength to hold off opponents with his hips or elbow, but last night he did neither of those.

Do we really want a guy with a history of back issues going all out physically in a meaningless, tune-up, preseason game?