• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Are teams going to "bait" us into fighting?

Rate this topic

If I remember correctly - an autopsy on Probie revealed he had roughly a 90% blockage of his coronary sinus.

I'm of the opinion that genetics/drug abuse/alcohol/diet abuse were key factors more so than his noggin taking punches.

Ok, but the other argument brought up is:

Severe depression brought on by CTE can lead to drug/alcohol abuse and other generally bad habits for your heart, body, and overall well being.

Some people turn to drugs because they have addictive personalities, some due to peer pressure, and others to just have a good time.

But in cases of untreated depression many turn to drugs for help!

Guest Crymson

If I remember correctly - an autopsy on Probie revealed he had roughly a 90% blockage of his coronary sinus.

I'm of the opinion that genetics/drug abuse/alcohol/diet abuse were key factors more so than his noggin taking punches.

It's true that he died of heart disease. However, CTE certainly was not helpful; and whatever the case, it brought about a significant decline in Probert's cognitive abilities when he was only in his 40s. CTE has become relatively common in athletes, especially those subjected to persistent physical concussion, and has driven various amongst them to suicide or violence. It has become such an issue in football that thousands of NFL players collectively sued the league for not taking greater measures to prevent concussion.

The simple point is that hockey players who fight a lot are prime candidates for development of this disease. Though it can be entertaining to watch them fight, know that they very well may be paying a severe price.

Guest Crymson

As I posted in another thread - there's only so much that can be done with injury prevention in contact sports, and concussions can occur in non-fighting situations.

The fact concussions can happen in non-fighting situations is irrelevant to this discussion. Fists to the head are a definite cause of concussions, and they can be curtailed. Not that it'll happen anytime soon, and fighting still does have a place in hockey, but the point is that Yzerman probably has the long-term effects of fisticuffs in mind.

On that note, why is it that players don't fight with gloves on? That would somewhat reduce the impact...