• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

Red Wings impact on fantasy hockey

Rate this topic

Had some fantasy hockey drafts this week (a few for bragging rights, and a money league). And of course I always like to target a few Red Wings, the obvious being Z, Dats, Mule, Kronner and Jimmy. But this season with our plethora of skilled forwards, it seems there's several more Red Wings fantasy options than the past few seasons.

Besides the 5 I already mentioned above, I've seen the following Red Wings get drafted in all 3 of my leagues: Alfredsson, Weiss, Abdelkader, Nyquist, Tatar and DeKeyser. Granted, all of my leagues were at least half full of Wings fans, but still, it seems this year there's more coveted Red Wings in the fantasy world than usual. Personally, I only targeted 6 in my drafts (Z, Dats, Kronner, Jimmy, Aflie, Weiss) but I can certainly understand taking a late-round chance on the others mentioned. How many/which Red Wings are you targeting/or have already drafted this year?

A good rule of thumb is unless you're getting Crosby, Malkin and Letang, getting more than 2 player on your team from the same club is a bad idea. I have seen some people get 3-4 players from the same team, they do great in the week, but, only play two games, and get beaten by quantity in their weekly match up.

PS I have one Wing on my team, Ericsson, as a bench D-man because I think he will be a good plug for when Keith/Suter/Hedman/Martin/Bogosian aren't playing

Edited by Shaman

A good rule of thumb is unless you're getting Crosby, Malkin and Letang, getting more than 2 player on your team from the same club is a bad idea. I have seen some people get 3-4 players from the same team, they do great in the week, but, only play two games, and get beaten by quantity in their weekly match up.

Couldn't agree more. I never surpass 2 players from the same team (unless a goalie is involved). I targeted 6 Wings knowing most will get taken before I pick. The more you target, the more you have a reliable backup plan for certain positions. But yeah regardless of the number you target you should never have a bunch from the same team.

There's a big difference between targeting players, and actually drafting players. Odds are most will be drafted in between your picks. For example, instead of just targeting Alfie, I targeted Weiss as well, that way if one gets drafted I can snag the other, or vise versa. Obviously you don't want them all on the same team from the same draft lol

I have 15 teams represented on my 19 player roster. I have 2 from Anaheim, Boston and Vancouver. Amazingly, I have zero Red Wings lol. So my "current" draft roster is pretty spread out among the teams. Some FH owners will say load up on one team (this year they used Chicago and Vancouver as examples), but I disagree.

Edited by thegerkin

I have 15 teams represented on my 19 player roster. I have 2 from Anaheim, Boston and Vancouver. Amazingly, I have zero Red Wings lol. So my "current" draft roster is pretty spread out among the teams. Some FH owners will say load up on one team (this year they used Chicago and Vancouver as examples), but I disagree.

If it's just a free league, for bragging rights, I like to pick my favourite players. So naturally I end up with a lot of wings lol

I was there, I saw it.

As was I! :lol:

I picked Alfie and DeKeyser this year. DeKeyser was my last pick, so I won't feel bad dropping him if he doesn't produce, but I figured for all the hype this kid has, it may pay off. If not, a few good defenseman are still available.

PS I have one Wing on my team, Ericsson, as a bench D-man because I think he will be a good plug for when Keith/Suter/Hedman/Martin/Bogosian aren't playing

A few seasons ago, I had both Sedins. Needless to say, I won the league.

As was I! :lol:

I picked Alfie and DeKeyser this year. DeKeyser was my last pick, so I won't feel bad dropping him if he doesn't produce, but I figured for all the hype this kid has, it may pay off. If not, a few good defenseman are still available.

Deke has a wicked shot, he just needs to aim.

A few seasons ago, I had both Sedins. Needless to say, I won the league.

I can see it, but if you had both Sedins, Elder and Lou, I am sure it would have been a lot closer. As I said, a good rule of thumb is no more than 2 from a team. I had Zetterberg, Datsuyk and Rafalski in 2007-2008, I did great, but lost out on first place because of a couple low scoring affairs in weeks that the Wings had only a couple games, and lost the weeks on that account.

no wings?

Wheres cleary sammy and bert? disappointing lol

Everyone went after the big names quick. Kronwall, Hank and Pasha were gone in the first two rounds (I was last pick, so Hank and Pasha were gone before I even chose). Plus, the Wings play a team game and each contribute goals and assists, while fantasy leagues are about the selfish ones. ;)

Everyone went after the big names quick. Kronwall, Hank and Pasha were gone in the first two rounds (I was last pick, so Hank and Pasha were gone before I even chose). Plus, the Wings play a team game and each contribute goals and assists, while fantasy leagues are about the selfish ones. ;)

I guess so, but I am selfish and want all the wings for myself :devil:

If it's just a bragging rights league I don't mind ;)

1. (5) Alex Ovechkin(Was - RW) 2. (20) Taylor Hall(Edm - LW) 3. (29) Ryan Getzlaf(Anh - C) 4. (44) Ryan Suter(Min - D) 5. (53) Duncan Keith(Chi - D) 6. (68) Mike Smith(Pho - G) 7. (77) Cam Ward(Car - G) 8. (92) Ryan Kesler(Van - C) 9. (101) James van Riemsdyk(Tor - LW) 10. (116) Victor Hedman(TB - D) 11. (125) Mike Richards(LA - C,LW) 12. (140) Sam Gagner(Edm - C,RW) 13. (149) Paul Martin(Pit - D) 14. (164) Jiri Tlusty(Car - LW) 15. (173) Zach Bogosian(Wpg - D) 16. (188) James Reimer(Tor - G) 17. (197) Jonathan Ericsson(Det - D) 18. (212) Brad Boyes(Fla - C,RW) 19. (221) Lee Stempniak(Cgy - LW,RW)

My team, any thoughts?

In a dynasty keeper league I am involved with, I currently own Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Kronwall, and Abdelkader (The league is head to head categories and counts hits, he gets a ton). It's a 14 team league with 4C 4RW 4LW 6D and 2G slots with an 8 man bench. I won the championship last season and sit in 3rd place this season.

In a new redraft league I had drafted only Zetterberg, and this past week traded Malkin for Datsyuk and Backes. Again, this is a league that counts hits and PIMs so it makes players like Backes more valuable. What I tend to consider when drafting with guys I know is their personal player favoritism. Players from their favorite team tend to get taken a bit earlier and better players sit there. I resisted taking Datsyuk in the 2nd round out of personal favoritism and felt like I got better value with the trade to a Pens fan with those two players combined compared to Malkin alone. In this league I currently sit at 7-1 in first place, it's a league of 10 players, same positional slots listed above but has 15 bench slots.

Point being, especially if it is a money league, let your opponents make the favoritism picks and you take the smart picks and resist drafting Wings when you first see them in the draft order. Zetterberg is elite in fantasy and is a solid 2nd round pick regardless of your Wings fan favoritism or not. So is Datsyuk in that regard. Otherwise don't overvalue Wings because you are a fan, understand that Franzen can waste a roster spot for a couple weeks while he slumps and questionable call-ups like Nyquist was can sit there giving you no points while they remain in the minors. Also Points aren't everything, especially in a category league. I have no problem drafting Chris Neil every year for his PIM and Hit totals alone because he can single handedly win a category for you even thought he.s 1% owned and was your last pick in the draft.