• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

With his 4 goals and assist tonight he already has 14 points in 5 games...

http://www.theqmjhl....er/show/id/7610

I don't know how the new CBA works regarding juniors, but is he stuck there the whole year?  Is he even allowed to play in the AHL this year?  IF, he keeps this kind of pace up I would think he would need better competition to continue to develop.

thoughts?

#2 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:34 PM

Only 4 games. Impressive but still only a couple games. Playing big minutes in the Q will help him more than 3rd line AHL which is where he would probably be. If he tears up the whole year than AHL next year. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#3 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:17 AM

With his 4 goals and assist tonight he already has 14 points in 5 games...

http://www.theqmjhl....er/show/id/7610

I don't know how the new CBA works regarding juniors, but is he stuck there the whole year?  Is he even allowed to play in the AHL this year?  IF, he keeps this kind of pace up I would think he would need better competition to continue to develop.

thoughts?

The agreement between the NHL & CHL is that a player is not eligible for the professional minor leagues until the year they turn 20 or complete 4 years of major junior.  The earliest Mantha would see AHL action will possibly be a stint in GR after his season in the Q is over next spring.  I wouldn't be shocked if he spent 2013-14 in the Q either actually given the Wings' history with prospects.

#4 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

Holy crap. Dudes even got 2 short handed goals already.

#5 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:51 AM

Maybe he's woken up and realized how hard he needs to work night in and night out.
Let's hope it continues.
And if he's dominating the q all this year, hell be in grvnext year, no matter how over ripe the wings want him.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter, 29 September 2013 - 12:54 AM.

#6 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

This is what I was afraid would happen.  He's too good for Junior hockey now.  Hopefully they've got him playing in all situations - PK, defending leads - to help round out his game.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#7 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

This is what I was afraid would happen.  He's too good for Junior hockey now.  Hopefully they've got him playing in all situations - PK, defending leads - to help round out his game.

Why are you afraid? The kid is 19. Hes supposed to be tearing up juniors at this age for a 1st round pick. Its the natural progression of prospects. The kids development is not going to be stumped with another year in the Q. Its another year for his body to continue filling out which will make the transition to pro that much easier. Which is a major part of development.

#8 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

What I'm afraid of is that the only thing he'll learn in junior is bad habits.  When success comes this easy its becomes very tempting to take short-cuts.

Sure, his body will continue to develop, but what about his skills, his mental attitude, his off-ice preparation?  To take his game to the next level he needs to be playing against men IMO, but since he's not AHL eligable, and he's not good enough for the NHL yet, it is what it is.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#9 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

How did Tots play in GR since he was 18?

#10 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

How did Tots play in GR since he was 18?

Because he never played in the CHL.  The only age limit for non-CHL players the AHL has is that they have to be at minimum 18.  

#11 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Because he never played in the CHL.  The only age limit for non-CHL players the AHL has is that they have to be at minimum 18.  

That really bugs me. I don't see how the chl was able to force this standard on AHL/NHL. I can understand why, but it bothers me that they're essentially holding a young kid's career hostage just so they can extract another year of entertainment value out of him. Especially when you consider how much money they make, Meanwhile the kids aren't compensated. It's worse than the NCAA, because you're not even getting a degree out of it.

Edited by The Greek, 29 September 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#12 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

So he either plays in the qmjhl or the nhl? That's bull.
  • Nev likes this

#13 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

Maybe he's woken up and realized how hard he needs to work night in and night out.
Let's hope it continues.
And if he's dominating the q all this year, hell be in grvnext year, no matter how over ripe the wings want him.

Not trying to be a jerk, have you just started following him? He dominated the q last year, and his work ethic/attitude got better then as well.

#14 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

Not trying to be a jerk, have you just started following him? He dominated the q last year, and his work ethic/attitude got better then as well.

already has 8 goals in 5 games, no way he keeps up that pace, but he is going to crush his numbers from last year, lets hope it translates to the AHL and NHL

#15 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,079 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

I'm happy to see him dominate. We need more stars, if this guy scores 60-70 goals this year, makes Team Canada's world junior team and maybe gets a chance to compete for the Memorial Cup, well then we're laughing. That is good for development, he's just a kid. There is a ton of talent in Grand Rapids as it is, he's in a good spot.

#NOMOREKINDL

#16 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

Coach Q is dreamy.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#17 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

Plenty of room for improvement in the Q this season. He only made the SECOND All-star squad last season, bronze for Junior Canada, and no individual trophies or awards. If he keeps pace, he'll make first squad and take some scoring or mvp awards, perhaps help lead Canada to gold, and then be AHL eligible next season. Sounds good to me.

#18 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

Just think, there were people on this forum questioning this pick.......

#19 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:28 AM

Just think, there were people on this forum questioning this pick.......

I'm not down on this kid at all, but lets wait till he's at least played in the NHL before we decide if he's a good pick or not, eh?

#20 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

I'm not down on this kid at all, but lets wait till he's at least played in the NHL before we decide if he's a good pick or not, eh?

No that is not what the draft is about. You have a good draft when you pick talented young players. How they turn out down the road is another story all together. This was a great pick for us in this draft.

BTW Vol already has Mantha listed as 6-5/206. So yes he is growing. Yes I understand EVERYONE lies about how big guys really are. But he was listed as 6-3/190 on most draft sites, IIRC the RW site has him as 6-4/190, but now his Junior team lists him as bigger. This is a good thing.

Nastasiuk is also off to a good start with Owen Sound. 2 G and 2 A in 4 games so far. He has also grown. Listed as 6-2/196.