• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

No that is not what the draft is about. You have a good draft when you pick talented young players. How they turn out down the road is another story all together. This was a great pick for us in this draft.

BTW Vol already has Mantha listed as 6-5/206. So yes he is growing. Yes I understand EVERYONE lies about how big guys really are. But he was listed as 6-3/190 on most draft sites, IIRC the RW site has him as 6-4/190, but now his Junior team lists him as bigger. This is a good thing.

Nastasiuk is also off to a good start with Owen Sound. 2 G and 2 A in 4 games so far. He has also grown. Listed as 6-2/196.

Ya I saw that too, if he can get to 230 pounds, he can be a serious power forward

#22 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Ya I saw that too, if he can get to 230 pounds, he can be a serious power forward

I have always thought he could be somewhere between keith Premieu and Shanny when he is 25 and on. Size, speed, scoring, and toughness. Just what the doctor ordered. But that is a long way down the road....

#23 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

This thread makes me happy. Future is BRIGHT for this team.

#24 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

I have always thought he could be somewhere between keith Premieu and Shanny when he is 25 and on. Size, speed, scoring, and toughness. Just what the doctor ordered. But that is a long way down the road....

I'd take another Shanny.  When I saw him play in the videos I've seen so far, he looked like JVR to me, which made me quite happy.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#25 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:02 AM

14 pts in 5 games.

#26 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

14 pts in 5 games.

On pace for what? 180 points? LOL......... We can only dream. I do wish they would try him at C.

#27 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

"@DetroitRedWings: #RedWings stud prospect Anthony Mantha was named QMJHL 'First Star' for the month of September. He had 8 Goals and 6 Assists in 5 games."

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#28 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Almost have to assume that the Wings will sign him to a pro contract as soon as his season's done in the Q.  Would love to see him get some time in GR, if not a game maybe in Detroit for the hell of it, before the 2013-14 season's done. 

#29 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

I thought the same, seem to recall Abdelkader got his first game that way.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#30 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

Almost have to assume that the Wings will sign him to a pro contract as soon as his season's done in the Q.  Would love to see him get some time in GR, if not a game maybe in Detroit for the hell of it, before the 2013-14 season's done. 

Serious question here:

Can they sign him to a pro contract next year, I thought the agreement with the Q (really CHL) prevented NHL teams from signing guys out of the Q before they were 20?

Edited by Opie, 02 October 2013 - 02:10 PM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#31 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Serious question here:

Can they sign him to a pro contract next year, I thought the agreement with the Q (really CHL) prevented NHL teams from signing guys out of the Q before they were 20?

I'm pretty sure they have to turn 20 in the calendar year in which they sign their pro contract.  Mantha turns 20 next September so he should be eligible to sign.

#32 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

Serious question here:

Yeah he was a late bday for his draft year, he'll be turning 20 soon. He might get traded to a team that has a mem shot chance because his team is suposed to be rebuilding but if not I wouldnt mind seeing him get a game in Detroit. When youre 6'5 and that high of a pick you dont always need 3 years in the AHL, I hope the wings realize that with him. Its not a Nyquist case where he was tiny

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#33 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

When all the old farts on this team get injured before playoffs, Mantha can jump in and help us win the Cup a la Mr. Helm whom won the Cup before he was even a rookie.   :cheesy:

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#34 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

I'm pretty sure they have to turn 20 in the calendar year in which they sign their pro contract.  Mantha turns 20 next September so he should be eligible to sign.

Yep, but I believe there is a hard limit of age 20 for AHL eligibility. So he might be a black ace in the playoffs, but no Grifs action until next season. 

Which seems far-fetched for Kenny to try. 

#35 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

Yep, but I believe there is a hard limit of age 20 for AHL eligibility. So he might be a black ace in the playoffs, but no Grifs action until next season. 

Overall minimum age to be eligible for the AHL, outside of the transfer agreement between the NHL & CHL, is 18 years old as of Sept 15 of each season.  Mantha becomes eligible for the AHL as soon as his season in the Q is done next spring.  

Source: AHL FAQs http://theahl.com/faq-p137653

Bonus info on the NHL/CHL transfer agreement: http://www.litterbox...l-chl-agreement

#36 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

Overall minimum age to be eligible for the AHL, outside of the transfer agreement between the NHL & CHL, is 18 years old as of Sept 15 of each season.  Mantha becomes eligible for the AHL as soon as his season in the Q is done next spring.  

Source: AHL FAQs http://theahl.com/faq-p137653

Bonus info on the NHL/CHL transfer agreement: http://www.litterbox...l-chl-agreement

GOOD. That's what I get for reading HFB. 

#37 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

Mantha now up to 18 points in 7 games. 11 G 7 A. Wonderfull!!!!!!!!!

Nastysiak has 3 G and 3 A in 7 games. Very good as well. Yes I changed the spelling in his name.

#38 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

n/m

Edited by fat guy in a maltby jersey, 07 October 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#39 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

n/m

Let me guess it was a comment about Maltby once scoring 50 goals in the juniors? =)

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#40 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

No if his junior season is done youre allowed to sign a PTO with an AHL team and join but you would have to rejoin your junior team if you werent 20 the next year. Pretty sure they dont just say "sorry your season is over, we dont want you playing AHL either" because thats not as good for a developmental league like the CHL anyways.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24