• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matthewdanna

Philosophic Question: End of Season Awards

Rate this topic

I t'was thinking about the end of season award and how Pavs should basically win the Selke every year...

I was also reading about Letang's injury and I was thinking about how overrated he is as a defenseman (I believe he get a reputation as a valuable defenseman because of his inflated offensive stats)...

Then I started thinking (sure the word "thinking" might be an overstatement)... there are multitude of awards for offensive production for fowards:

Hart = MVP (usually a F)

Ross = Most Points (always a F)

Lindsay = Best Player (usually a F)

Richard = Most Goals (always a F)

Calder = Best Rookie (Usually a F)

And those awards are heavily, if not singularly, based on offensive production...

Then on top of those there's the SELKE "awarded to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game."

Still, much like Gold Gloves in baseball, the winner of the Selke has to have some offensive production to even be noticed...

My question becomes this: Why is there only one award for defensemen?

The Norris has predominantly gone to the best offensive-defenseman even though it is stated to be "awarded to the defenseman who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position."

There is no way someone wins the Norris without offensive production... We were lucky with Nick because he was the best offensive and defensive defenseman.
I say create another award for defensemen... perhaps the best defensive-defenseman award. Name it after Eddie Shore, Doug Harvey, or dare I say... Nick Lidstrom
Sorry for the long post... super bored. GO WINGS!

Actually, the Norris usually goes to the best all around defender. I'd say more than 90% of the winners were guys who excelled on both ends of the ice.

No point creating another award just for those years where someone like Karlsson or Niedermayer wins it.

or Letang, he was a finalist, won't be long before he wins...

Actually, the Norris usually goes to the best all around defender. I'd say more than 90% of the winners were guys who excelled on both ends of the ice.

No point creating another award just for those years where someone like Karlsson or Niedermayer wins it.

The last two years it hasn't. I'm hoping they're an anomaly and not a trend.

To the OP, because there are so many awards that go to forwards is why I wish the Selke actually went to the true defensive forwards who otherwise don't get much attention. More of a guy like Bob Gainey.