• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Emmerton on Waivers

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Barring the promotion of Glendening or one of the other AHL centers, Emmerton will likely be back with the Wings at season's start. Waiving him was a calculated move to free up cap space ahead of tomorrow's deadline, as Emmerton is totally unremarkable and certainly clear.

Nyquist and DeKeyser will be sent down soon, as they are both are waiver-exempt. The combination of Nyquist, Emmerton, and DeKeyser will free up the necessary cap space and roster space until certain players are put on IR; at that stage, DeKeyser will be brought back to the team, and perhaps Emmerton and Nyquist as well.

Edited by Crymson

Of the guys "on the bubble" I'd assume Emmerton is most likely to clear. Also, wasn't there a rule in the old CBA (not sure if it is in the new one) that if a player is picked up on reentry waivers that the old team was still responsible for half the salary cap hit wise? If that's still in place, I could see that as another reason for him to be on waivers.

Guest Crymson

Of the guys "on the bubble" I'd assume Emmerton is most likely to clear. Also, wasn't there a rule in the old CBA (not sure if it is in the new one) that if a player is picked up on reentry waivers that the old team was still responsible for half the salary cap hit wise? If that's still in place, I could see that as another reason for him to be on waivers.

Re-entry waivers were eliminated. They do not exist in the current CBA.

He'll be back unless Helm is ready; this was a calculated move to free up cap space ahead of tomorrow's deadline, as Emmerton will almost certainly clear waivers. Tootoo and Samuelsson will perhaps follow, and Nyquist and DeKeyser will be sent down. The latter two are waiver-exempt, while Holland clearly wants to be rid of Samuelsson and Tootoo. Samuelsson is almost certain to not be claimed, but this will at least free up a roster spot. The combination of Nyquist, Emmerton, and DeKeyser will free up the necessary cap space until certain players are put on IR; at that stage, Emmerton and DeKeyser will be brought back to the team, and perhaps Nyquist as well.

Helm won't be back according to Helene St James. Being put on LTIR tomorrow. With that & Emmerton being sent down, the Wings are under the cap. Just one body then to move off the roster until Helm is healthy.

Guest Crymson

Still, I think he's likely to clear.

Absolutely. He's a disposable fourth-line plug. He's small and not notably good at anything.

I think Eaves will be on LTIR as well

That certainly is a possibility but I do wonder why the word is starting to circulate on Helm already & not Eaves too if that is going to be the case. If Eaves is going to wind up there, I think we've seen the only waiver moves the Wings will make today unless they do try to get to the cap ceiling prior to putting those two on LTIR in order to maximize their allowable cap overage.

Barring the promotion of Glendening or one of the other AHL centers, Emmerton will likely be back with the Wings at season's start. Waiving him was a calculated move to free up cap space ahead of tomorrow's deadline, as Emmerton is totally unremarkable and certainly clear.

Nyquist and DeKeyser will be sent down soon, as they are both are waiver-exempt. The combination of Nyquist, Emmerton, and DeKeyser will free up the necessary cap space and roster space until certain players are put on IR; at that stage, DeKeyser will be brought back to the team, and perhaps Emmerton and Nyquist as well.

Nyquist, DeKeyser, & Emmerton alone don't solve the Wings' cap overage. $25k of Nyquist's salary still counts, DeKeyser's base salary is only $500k with the rest being a bonus that will be deferred to next season, & Emmerton's at $533,333 for a grand total of $1,958,333 vs. a current cap overage once all bonuses are forwarded to next season of $2,387,879.

(Granted, Helm being put on LTIR tomorrow & Emmerton going through waivers takes care of the cap issue until Helm's healthy)

Edited by ogreslayer

I honestly hope someone claims him.

As do I. I think he'd at least have a shot somewhere else, that way. Detroit's got Helm, Andersson, Sheahan, Glendening and maybe Aubry who can play center in our bottom six. There's simply no room for Emmerton, and Glendening has clearly outplayed him all camp/pre-season.

Guest Crymson

I might be wrong on what I said earlier:

The Wheel Deal @Bill_Roose

With Emmerton on waivers, #RedWings think Joakim Andersson, Riley Sheahan & Luke Glendening can be viable 4th-line contributors in '13-14.

Nyquist, DeKeyser, & Emmerton alone don't solve the Wings' cap overage. $25k of Nyquist's salary still counts, DeKeyser's base salary is only $500k with the rest being a bonus that will be deferred to next season, & Emmerton's at $533,333 for a grand total of $1,958,333 vs. a current cap overage once all bonuses are forwarded to next season of $2,387,879.

(Granted, Helm being put on LTIR tomorrow & Emmerton going through waivers takes care of the cap issue until Helm's healthy)

According to CapGeek, DeKeyser's cap hit this season is $850K. $850K plus $900K from Nyquist plus $533K for Emmerton equals $2.283m, which puts the Wings just over $100K above the cap. Bollocks.

Edited by Crymson

I might be wrong on what I said earlier:

The Wheel Deal ‏@Bill_Roose

With Emmerton on waivers, #RedWings think Joakim Andersson, Riley Sheahan & Luke Glendening can be viable 4th-line contributors in '13-14.

According to CapGeek, DeKeyser's cap hit this season is $850K. $850K plus $900K from Nyquist plus $533K for Emmerton equals $2.28m, which puts the Wings .1m over the cap. Bollocks.

Yeah, they're clearly done with the "EmDog" experiment. I really think only Glendening should be up with the team - Riley's going to benefit way more playing in a line with Jurco in GR. Big minutes, focus on offensive production. Glendening's really looked solid in a 4th line role, imo. I like what he brings.

Glendening was my first thought when I saw this thread. He seems to have a drive and hustle that I don't see in Emmerton. I too hope Emmerton gets claimed, I have no problem with Glendening or Andy being up with the big club in his place. Emmerton to me has always been the most "disposable" piece of the team, like someone up top said he just doesn't impress either way to me.