• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#61 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

I don't see your point. Samuelsson can be sent to the minor at any point; doing so just won't garner much in cap savings.

Maybe I should have been more clear, Sammy would have had to have been waived today, in order to hit the deadline to become compliant for the 23 man roster in time. Yes he can be sent down at any point in time though you're right

#62 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

I don't think Sammy will be sent down when Helm is healthy.  I need to see the drawing, apparently.  Please post it.

Assuming you want a drawing of what Samuelsson will be doing, here it is:

(note: on the right is money, and on the left a cigar)

sammystick_zps78bf8272.png

#63 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

Ah yes, but I would think it would be "medical" marijuana, you know, for his sore boob

#64 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

And whose fault is it that Sammy is even on this team?....................

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#65 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

I blame Hudler

#66 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

I blame Hudler

I blame someone else whose name starts with H.  

Guys like Sammy, Bertuzzi and Cleary are old, washed up crap, but I don't blame them for wanting to stick around and make a paycheck.  They should have been shown the door, though.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 29 September 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#67 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

Guys like Sammy, Bertuzzi and Cleary are old, washed up crap, but I don't blame them for wanting to stick around and make a paycheck.  They should have been shown the door, though.  

I don't think Cleary was really in it just for the check, since he took a big paycut (reportedly) to come back

#68 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

I don't think Cleary was really in it just for the check, since he took a big paycut (reportedly) to come back

He feels more comfortable in Detroit for sure.  I didn't mean to sound like those guys only want to make money.  It's more like, why are they given a chance to make that money on this of all teams?  Don't we have enough hungry, talented players in the minors to take their spots?  I think we do  .

#69 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

That is clearly an airplane flying into a flashlight held by some skinny guy who is also playing with green Legos.

Which I feel sums up this Sammy situation perfectly.

Edit: I have decided that the skinny guy is Emmerton in order to keep things on topic.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 29 September 2013 - 10:49 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#70 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

He took a big paycut because he didn't have a contract anywhere else.  He was going to be on a PTO with the Flyers meaning he had no contract offer on the table from Philly when Holland signed him.  

And on the Sammy on waivers front, very much like the Tatar trade conversation, there is a difference between improbable & impossible.  It's improbable Sammy gets sent down because of the money he makes & lack of cap relief the Wings would get, but it's not impossible.  I have a feeling many thought that waiving Emmerton while Helm was on LTIR was going to be impossible too, yet here we are.  

#71 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

Believe it or not, every general manager makes mistakes. If you're looking for one who doesn't, then you're going to come away disappointed. Holland has been excellent in most ways; he's got a good coaching staff, ices a competitive team no matter what, and has the system stocked full of excellent prospects despite a long-term, utter dearth of high draft picks. He's not counted by many as the best GM in the league for nothing, and the fact that he is imperfect does not mean that he is terrible.

He took a big paycut because he didn't have a contract anywhere else.  He was going to be on a PTO with the Flyers meaning he had no contract offer on the table from Philly when Holland signed him.  

And on the Sammy on waivers front, very much like the Tatar trade conversation, there is a difference between improbable & impossible.  It's improbable Sammy gets sent down because of the money he makes & lack of cap relief the Wings would get, but it's not impossible.  I have a feeling many thought that waiving Emmerton while Helm was on LTIR was going to be impossible too, yet here we are.  

The Penguins had reportedly offered him a contract as well, even going so far as to have Crosby contact him.

Babcock wanted Cleary, and indeed it seems that he wanted Cleary more than Holland did. Bertuzzi was still good for 40+ points per season when he was signed, and he was also a prime contributor in the shootout.

I agree that Samuelsson was a terrible signing, though there's no knowing how things could have gone if not for his injuries last season. Fortunately, it was only two years.

Edited by Crymson, 30 September 2013 - 12:45 AM.

#72 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

The Penguins had reportedly offered him a contract as well, even going so far as to have Crosby contact him.

Rumors were that the Pens, Ducks, Flyers, & Panthers had interest in Cleary.  Interest does not equal contract offer, as one can see in Philly's case for example.  As for Crosby calling Cleary to recruit him to the Pens, the original source of that news made no mention of the fact that it was Ray Shero or anyone else in the Pittsburgh organization that put Crosby to that task.  At least not according to all of the coverage I saw, but I'm certainly open to changing my perspective given solid evidence instead of rumors.  Given the fact that Cleary was actually in Vail this offseason working out with a group of players including Crosby & the lack of a credible source stating Crosby was acting on the Pens front office's instructions or that an official contract was offered leads me to believe that Crosby was doing that recruiting of his on accord.  The known facts are that terms were discussed with the Flyers if he made the team via a PTO but no official contract was on the table and that he did turn down two offers from Kenny prior to hitting the market.  So in my opinion, Cleary returning to the Wings had as much if not more to do with him taking the certainty of having a contract over possibly earning one in Philly with no other offers on the table than it did with his "heart belonging in Detroit".  I won't say I blame him for making in essence a economic decision to return, but I think the whole anointing of St. Daniel for taking less money to "stay" is a little much.

Back on topic though, I do have to say I like the message that waiving Emmerton sends about the confidence the Wings have in the future of players like Sheahan & Glendening.  Not that I'm looking forward to more injuries (OK maybe I am a little in Sammy's case) but I am looking forward to seeing those two up with the big club a bit this season to get some more experience.  

#73 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

Which is kind of weird, because wasn't he all "I dunno, Ken, I mean, these other offers I have are REALLY REALLY GOOD"?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#74 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Not surprised Emmerton cleared waivers 

#75 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

Not surprised Emmerton cleared waivers 

Source:

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive 1m

Emmerton clears waivers, headed to Grand Rapids.

Nyquist and Mrazek sent down today, presuming it's only a paper move.

http://www.mlive.com...ward_gusta.html

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#76 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Shame for him but I was surprised he even made the NHL in the first place. Even at AHL level he was completely unremarkable.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#77 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

That is clearly an airplane flying into a flashlight held by some skinny guy who is also playing with green Legos.

Which I feel sums up this Sammy situation perfectly.

Edit: I have decided that the skinny guy is Emmerton in order to keep things on topic.

I forgot this was a thread about emmerton until I read your post.

Edited by The Greek, 30 September 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#78 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

Shame for him but I was surprised he even made the NHL in the first place. Even at AHL level he was completely unremarkable.

Shame indeed. He was one of the highest-ranked forwards in his draft class.

#79 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

Too bad for him that he couldn't find a place to be up with the big dogs, but it's good for us that we have that sort of depth. 

If others are better or are more cap-friendly, that's ok.  It's still good to have a depth guy like that who is familiar with our team and system when the playoffs roll around.

#80 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

On other news

Chuck Pleiness @wingsfrontman 

It appears Tatar is the odd man out Wednesday. He's been working in and out of the top line with Dastyuk, Zetterberg and Abdelkader.

I'm assuming that this thread has become a catch-all for the roster activities taking place between now and Wednesday. In which case, I'm staying on topic here, I hope.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"