• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rrasco

NHLPA approves hybrid icing

Rate this topic

I like the idea of having less injuries "potentially". However, as stated above by others, my main concern is the "discretion of the referee" part. I think inevitably there will be mistakes made that will cost teams games or at the very least goals.

I do think this is a step in the right direction. Hockey is often a rough game and I have no problem with that...I just don't care to see people getting hurt over an icing call.

I am trying to understand how exactly this works

If the race is close and the offensive team may beat the other player to the puck the play stays alive (correct?)

As far as I see it, this is the scenario where the injuries would happen most, not when the defending team is easily getting to the puck first...

I say either keep it touch icing or go straight to no touch icing...

Kinda. If a defender and an opponent are neck and neck it is supposed to be called as icing, the only way it's not icing is if the opposition has a step ahead of the defender

Kinda. If a defender and an opponent are neck and neck it is supposed to be called as icing, the only way it's not icing is if the opposition has a step ahead of the defender

See, now I'm confused. And it started with the goal the other night after that waived off icing where Kindl got there first. I was under the impression that if the defender was ahead they would call it icing. If they deemed it close enough, they wouldn't blow it down and the players would continue on as if it was normal icing. Meaning icing is still called if the defender gets there first. I now understand that it's either icing or not once the linesman makes his decision....no matter who touches it first.

Here's the rule from nhl.com

The hybrid-icing system allows the linesman to blow the play dead and call an automatic icing if he determines that the puck will cross the goal line and the defending player is not behind in the race to the end-zone faceoff dots in his defensive zone. The faceoff would go to the far end of the ice as it did with icings called in the previous system the NHL used.

If the attacking player is leading the race, the linesman is supposed to allow the play to continue.

In instances where the puck is shot around the end boards, travels down the ice and comes out the other end, the linesman has to determine who would have touched the puck first. If it's the defending player, he calls an automatic icing but if it's the attacking player he lets the play continue.

Exhibit "A".

Maybe someone can clarify whether I'm missing something, because I seem to be in the minority that thinks that this rule won't actually change much (if anything). When I look at this video, I see a tight race between two players as each player approaches the faceoff circle. During the preseason, when the race was this close, the ref would wave off the automatic icing, and the two players would continue to race toward the puck, thus the risk of injury is still present. I feel like the only thing that hybrid icing will change are the icings where there is no risk to begin with, because there is no race for the puck.

Maybe someone can clarify whether I'm missing something, because I seem to be in the minority that thinks that this rule won't actually change much (if anything). When I look at this video, I see a tight race between two players as each player approaches the faceoff circle. During the preseason, when the race was this close, the ref would wave off the automatic icing, and the two players would continue to race toward the puck, thus the risk of injury is still present. I feel like the only thing that hybrid icing will change are the icings where there is no risk to begin with, because there is no race for the puck.

In my head, what I think it may do to help though is prevent that race from being all about just touching the puck. With normal icing guys were killing themselves just to get a stick on the puck, which I think contributes to risk, whereas now there won't ever be a touch icing meaning whether you are there first or not, you still have to consider making a play on the puck instead of just bolting to it and making contact. It would make more sense for the guy not getting to the puck first to make a defensive play on the other player.

From NHL:

Here is the official wording of the new rule:

Rule 81.1 – Icing: For the purpose of this rule, the center red line will divide the ice into halves. Should any player of a team, equal or superior in numerical strength (power-play) to the opposing team, shoot, bat or deflect the puck from his own half of the ice beyond the goal line of the opposing team, play shall be stopped. For the purpose of deflected pucks, this only applies when the puck was originally propelled down the ice by the offending team.

I am trying to understand how exactly this works

If the race is close and the offensive team may beat the other player to the puck the play stays alive (correct?)

As far as I see it, this is the scenario where the injuries would happen most, not when the defending team is easily getting to the puck first...

I say either keep it touch icing or go straight to no touch icing...

Except that it's now just a race to an imaginary line between the defensive zone face-off dots. If the offensive player wins the race, he does not have to touch the puck first. It just becomes a routine dump in. He can brace him self, hold off till the defender goes in, whatever he wants. Theres no more poking their sticks in each others feet just to touch the puck first. I didn't see any problem with it in the first game, I'm sure through out the year there's going to be some bad calls like any other thing in hockey including the original icing rule, but it's much safer this way.

Edited by nosyt612

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/CBC%27s+Hockey+Night+in+Canada/Coach%27s+Corner/ID/2409815964/

I knew I could count on Mr. Cherry to present valid points regarding this rule change.

I don't think he understands the rule. If icing is waved off no one is required to touch the puck first. It's the same thing as a dump in.